SS SBH sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

huntinguy

Bearcat
Yep, I know this subject has been beat to death... but... one more whack please.

I have read the forums about sights but I have not found an answer.

.... Well, I am getting older..... and the old peekers ain't what they used to be. Nor is the back... Hence I want to take my SBH out deer hunting this year.

My SBH has the pined front sight.

Ruger makes a Hi-Viz front sight... I am leery about these... Is the housing steel or plastic? I would hate to pull out my pistol and not have a front sight. (done that a time or two with the pellet guns.)

Is there a Hi-Vis rear sight out there?

Where I have been scouting is in some dark timber and the black on black won't cut it. I have thought about a white outline rear and an orange front but I have not seen those either.

A scope is my last option... I have not been able to find mounts... I guess the hunter model did a way with those...

Thanks

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
My eyes aren't the best anymore either, so I installed a rear sight from Millett on one of my SBH's & it is a great improvement in good light. I can't hunt with a handgun, so I wouldn't know about hunting in the timber with it, but it should be better than an all black sight...
myreloading050.jpg

myreloading055.jpg

For a suggestion that may work is to get some model paint in white & either a florescent green or red. Mask the sides of the front sight & use the white as a base coat, & next day apply the colored stuff.

Hope this idea helps & good luck with your hunt.... :D

tom black

Blackhawk
"And the old peekers aren't working like they used to." OK so I had to go back and reread that a little closer the second time.
Tom Black

flatgate

Hawkeye
+1 to the Millett sight. I have one on one of my .45 Blackhawks and another on a "Brand X" .454 that's made down the road apiece......

I like the sights.

flatgate

Cholo

Staff member
When I hunted with my SBH, I painted part of the front sight with thinned out Testors bright orange paint, easily removed. Doing it slow you'll get it just right. I used my original rear sight, but RUFFBIRD'S rear sight looks mighty fine!

I'm right handed and shoot right eye dominant. That didn't work anymore so I bought a few years by shooting with my left eye. It wasn't difficult at all.

I don't know about Hi-Viz sights.

At the range I use a peep sight attached to my shooting glasses. It will give you the eyes of an 18 year old. I don't have a link, but I do have contact info. Quality stuff.

Merit Corp.
Box 9044
Schenectady, NY 12309
518-346-1420

Also check out the following RF link that provides more info. Good luck!

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... ight=merit

huntinguy

Bearcat
First... Tom... I had to go back and read your reply a couple times... lol....

I don't really want to drill and tap the gun. Kinda like the ability to go back.

I like the millet. The Bowen Rough Country looks doable... I have a white outline on my Smith... it works okay. Is there a place I can get a white outline to drop into the SBH or do I have to go with the Bowen?

Where can I order a replacement blade for the front? I can put a colored insert in the replacement. Like I said, I like the going back to original.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Oh, two of the guys I work with just got the thing Cholo suggested. They gave it a way thumbs up... I do something like that for range work but hunting... that is a little different.

tom black

Blackhawk
I have a Bowen on one of my Ruger BH's and a Millet on my 5" S&W 629. They are both nice but the nod would have to go to the Bowen.
Tom

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Here is the Hi-Viz front sight for the SBH with pinned sight blade. This is the green one, and they also have a red version. I don't know why the path shows "Glock sights", that appears to be a mistake. The part number is correct for the Ruger.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=5594 ... ght__Green

These are "overmolded", if I'm not mistaken, which means the light pipe is encased in an epoxy resin, protecting it from damage. It's made for use in concealed carry and law enforcement applications.