The Marlin Camp 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Buckeye
They are not real prevalent, especially the 45 in my neck of the woods. Could be why I still have the buffer.😊
I know you have the 45 buffer. Can I ask about ballpark what these buffers sell for if I need to replace one on my Camp 9 ?? Are they easy to replace ??

Midway has them for $9

remember the buffer is pretty much a piece of plastic that is aging even if it's setting in a box , when they break they gum up the works right now and your shooting is done for the day , so having a spare on hand and knowing how to replace them is a good thing

I heard there was a concern about the buffer. Even new in box in a good environment, you think it will be bad ? It hasn't seen any extreme heat or cold. It's never been shot at all. Again, it's NIB. The P95 was a great gift. Yeah, my son has one of them coming too 🙂 a KP95DC !!! Darn, I wish he would come home. All through Scouts, we would go all the time. Shooting a lot of single shot 22's and of course another standard 10/22. I bought a couple of them for my Scouts to use. Those were great days. Why did they have to grow up ??
I suspect the buffer will have dried out... the gun will function with out it but you would need to remove the little dried broken parts. I bought a Marline Camp Carbine 45 a zillion years ago and the buffer was bad on it... Marlin sent me several but I passed them on to the friend I gave the rifle to. He's a 1911 fanatic. This is just a little hard rubber piece that fits behind the bolt I think.

At least I think I passed them on... maybe I'll go look in my parts box.... Neat rifles, I put a Choate folding stock on the one I had.

The .45 Camp Carbines seemed far more popular in Texas. Everybody has a 1911. And there aren't that many other .45acp carbines on the marketplace, where several models of 9mm carbines have been available over the years.

I'd definitely replace the buffer before shooting it. The material they were made of deteriorates over time, and they're cheap. Midway USA sells them for less than $10. There's probably videos on youtube showing how to do the job.

Last edited:
"remember the buffer is pretty much a piece of plastic that is aging even if it's setting in a box"
This is absolutely TRUE for the OEM buffer. I'm not sure if the replacements are different. Maybe I should check mine since it's been a long time since it's been used.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Mine had a wooden buffer when I bought it, still had that in there when I sold it. Not hard to make if you have any woodworking skills.

If Midway or some other place has buffers then just order a pack and put them in the box with the rifle.

Just keep in mind shooting pistol caliber ammo out of a rifle is just plain fun!

For a number of years... having a handgun and rifle that shoot the same ammo was my thing.

Still is to a degree:

22lr
38/357 (actually I realized now I just gave my lever action in this caliber to a friend)
9mm. (Bill R. had planned to make his 3rd fortune off the P95/89 and PC9 but law enforcement decided to go more military)
357sig
oh,
and I almost forgot:
30 cal carbine!

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Leave it as-is. Keep it or sell it. If you want to shoot one, buy one that's already been shot. They don't make new 30 year old rifles any more.
+1 Leave it in the box. Maybe purchase a couple of new buffers, still in package and store them all together. Someone down the road might say, "yeah, but the buffers break"...

The.Tumbleweed

Bearcat
I bought a Marlin Camp 9 back in the early to mid nineties and it is still new in the box unfired. The manual and whatever it came with is all there. It is a, to me, a beautiful little gun. My question is should I fire it after all of these years or should I leave it as is. I mean, does a "new" Camp 9 in the box have any value out there? Not that I want to sell it, because I won't. I was just wondering what you guys would do if you were me ? Should I keep it new in the box, or just start shooting it now after all of these years ? What would you do ???
I had one I bought shortly after they came out.
It was okay, for a PCC, but it just wasn't practical for me, so I sold it cheap.
I doubt it will appreciate much, especially given the number of PCC available today.

Star43

Buckeye
Mine had a wooden buffer when I bought it, still had that in there when I sold it. Not hard to make if you have any woodworking skills.
I guess that guy made one of wood ? I am trying to picture this buffer. I see the blue picture that was listed. How can plastic and wood be used for doing the same thing. To me I am thinking a "buffer" is actually buffering some recoil in there. I can see rubber as doing that or maybe plastic, but wood ?? It makes me wonder why Marlin would use a material that would break down so quickly ??

Star43

Buckeye
If Midway or some other place has buffers then just order a pack and put them in the box with the rifle.

Just keep in mind shooting pistol caliber ammo out of a rifle is just plain fun!

For a number of years... having a handgun and rifle that shoot the same ammo was my thing.

Still is to a degree:

22lr
38/357 (actually I realized now I just gave my lever action in this caliber to a friend)
9mm. (Bill R. had planned to make his 3rd fortune off the P95/89 and PC9 but law enforcement decided to go more military)
357sig
oh,
and I almost forgot:
30 cal carbine!
Blume, did you change out any of these buffers? The more I am reading this, it seems they are just basically a use & throw away part. If so I would imagine they are not hard to replace them. One can do it himself and not take it to a gunsmith?

Star43

Buckeye
+1 Leave it in the box. Maybe purchase a couple of new buffers, still in package and store them all together. Someone down the road might say, "yeah, but the buffers break"...
Yeah, I will check around for a couple of extra buffers I guess. I guess it is similar to driving a car and you have to change the oil. I'm thinking though, why the heck would they use plastic and not a piece of rubber ??

Star43

Buckeye
Well it's going to stay in the family. My son would never say anything like that, and it's up to him to make sure his sons don't say that. IF I heard it from one of those grandsons down the road, he would get the evil eye from me. How I was raised is you don't knock down anything that was given to you, that's for darn sure....I'm sure he'll raise them right to have common sense and respect. That is what we Don't have in this world as far as I'm concerned. I see too much of a big lack of common sense and respect.

Have a NIB nickel 9mm and a NIB blue 45 acp. Sold a used nickel 9mm during the panic buying and made good money. Have a blue 9mm shooter that is a fun time at the range. Blackjack makes a good buffer, I changed them in both unused rifles and replaced the 9mm spring with a 16.5# and the 45acp with a 21# spring. Protects the stock from cracking, sold a couple of new stocks on eBay for $400 each a few years ago. Only paid like $45 for each out of Canada, seller didn't know what they fit.
The 9mm will use Smith & Wesson 59 and 69 series magazines also. Shoot or save, for now I'm saving mine.

Blume, did you change out any of these buffers? The more I am reading this, it seems they are just basically a use & throw away part. If so I would imagine they are not hard to replace them. One can do it himself and not take it to a gunsmith?
I did change it out.. I discovered this 'problem' the first time I shot the used rifle.... little orange pieces were falling out of the top of the trigger guard.... then I guess I went on line and figured it out. Not really a big deal as I recall to change out, pretty much what one would do when doing a field strip and clean of the gun. seems like they were a rubberized kind of semi-clear plastic ... but nothing like a piece of wood.

Star43

Buckeye
So I guess the factory buffers were orange then. So if I shoot this thing and I see the orange pieces or for that matter, any plastic type pieces come out, then I will sure know what the heck it is.

Yeah, I will check around for a couple of extra buffers I guess. I guess it is similar to driving a car and you have to change the oil. I'm thinking though, why the heck would they use plastic and not a piece of rubber ??
Why buy buffers if it is t going to be shot? Since originality seems to be what you want, just leave it as is. For all we know- you can buy new buffers and *if* someone decides to shoot it years from now- the replacement buffers may be degraded like the originals did.

Star43

Buckeye
Well that's a thought. At least the "shelf life" on the new buffers will have a longer expiration date. Heck, these buffers seem almost like buying a loaf of bread, in having to worry about an expiration type date on something that is not even being used !!! 🤔

Last edited: