These Boots are made for walkin'...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Sparks, NV
Recently there was a thread about brand of jeans everybody wears, which made me think about the boots...
Due to a high instep, it is near impossible to get into a regular western/cowboy boot with a 10" shank. During the 70's I inheirited a new pair of "fruit boots" like the Beatles allegedly wore. They were a basic black, dress boot with what I would call double heels to make me look taller. They were comfortable and I liked them a lot.
Since they wore out, I have basically been wearing velcro strapped "tennis shoes". However, I have always wanted to get another pair of boots. Recently I remembered that the most comfortable shoes I ever wore, were a pair of French Shriner shoes, which led me to look up the other quality shoe that I knew, made by Florsheim. I looked them up and found a pair of simple basic black, round toe zippered boots. Recently got a pair and the second day I was breaking them in, while walking around downtown Reno (I don't advise it) I managed to walk a little over a mile and a half. Longest I have walked anywhere in two years. (Remember I am turning 80 next month) and I am feeling much better. The boots are lined with a material for comfort and even luxurious feel. So that is what I wear now with my black Wrangler jeans. So...what boots are ya'll wearin'?

Florsheim Boots.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have apair of Justin's which are close to fifty years old. Old stylem steel shank, pegged sole, cowboy heel. I nurse them along for Sunday and special occassion wear. Also one pair of Dan Post El Paso that must be twenty years old.

My cardiologist always guages my state of health by my continuing to wear my boots.

For some reason, western hats and boots just always seem to attract women's attention. Nita always commented on that fact.

Bob Wright

Johnnu2

Hunter
I literally threw away all my suits and most of my shoes when I retired many years ago. My internist guages my health by whether or not I walk in, or am carried in. In either case, it's always New Balance or Rockports.

J.

44Squatch

Single-Sixer
Tony Llama teju lizard cowboys
Tony Llama goat leather ropers
Lucchese full quill ostrich cowboys

… and I'm a yankee, where boots aren't worn by many.
Probably a good thing I don't live below the Mason Dixon because I'd have a Kardashian-like closet of boots!

Tenbore

Blackhawk
Justin western style work boots or Justin ropers. My feet will no longer let me wear the high heel, narrow toe boots.

I just spent 3 weeks at the beach and walking my dogs well over a mile twice a day.... I know I probably got some strange looks and comments from the mostly naked people laying around... this is what I wore every day to walk those dogs:

these are actually my "Sunday go to Meeting" boots but the ones I wore are the same just a tad more scuffed up.

Mike J

Hunter
Years ago I had a few pairs of Tony Lama & Dan Post boots. These days I have a pair of square toed Justin slip on work boots I've had about 12 years. I use them for bumming around. Sooner or later I'll have to do something else for that as the last time I tried on Justins they had changed them & they aren't as comfortable now. I've been wearing Wolverine slip-on boots the last year or so at work.
The union recently sent out an E-mail about a boot voucher they were going to offer. Once you applied you were supposed to get it in 2 or 3 weeks. I applied & haven't gotten anything back except E-mails saying there was more response than expected & they are overwhelmed. It has been a few months. The voucher is for union made boots only. It can only be used for Thorogood or Carolina boots. I've never used Carolina boots. I have used Thorogood & was less than pleased for with what I got.

Back in 1966 I found myself in far West Texas for military duty and decided it was time for this city boy to get a pair of cowboy boots. I've always loved the look of them, but despite trying several times, and wasting a good amount of dollars, I have never found a pair that I can wear for more than a few minutes before the pain makes me take them off. I've also looked for the elusive "all day motorcycle boot" and have wasted even more money over the years in this quest. I've had lots of motorcycle boots that are just fine for riding, and give good protection and sometimes even some venting so that I don't roast my feet on a summer day, but never ones that also were good for walking more than very, very short distances. So now at 80 years old (in about 6 weeks) I have had to accept that boots are not my thing.

I pretty much wear "tennis shoes" year round, although I have few pair of New Balance "walking shoes" that are pretty comfortable. For real walking I have found a brand new to me named Hoka, and with decent inserts, I can walk pretty much pain free all day. For winter, and when there is snow on the ground, the best thing I have found are high top "snow boots" from L.L. Bean which have the extra value of really helping on slippery surfaces.

After reading this thread I am tempted to try those Florsheim zip up boots but wonder how they would look when I wear shorts and t-shirts in the summer. Something about shorts and boots brings to mind an image I am not fond of.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Back in 1966 I found myself in far West Texas for military duty and decided it was time for this city boy to get a pair of cowboy boots. I've always loved the look of them, but despite trying several times, and wasting a good amount of dollars, I have never found a pair that I can wear for more than a few minutes before the pain makes me take them off. I've also looked for the elusive "all day motorcycle boot" and have wasted even more money over the years in this quest. I've had lots of motorcycle boots that are just fine for riding, and give good protection and sometimes even some venting so that I don't roast my feet on a summer day, but never ones that also were good for walking more than very, very short distances. So now at 80 years old (in about 6 weeks) I have had to accept that boots are not my thing.

I pretty much wear "tennis shoes" year round, although I have few pair of New Balance "walking shoes" that are pretty comfortable. For real walking I have found a brand new to me named Hoka, and with decent inserts, I can walk pretty much pain free all day. For winter, and when there is snow on the ground, the best thing I have found are high top "snow boots" from L.L. Bean which have the extra value of really helping on slippery surfaces.

After reading this thread I am tempted to try those Florsheim zip up boots but wonder how they would look when I wear shorts and t-shirts in the summer. Something about shorts and boots brings to mind an image I am not fond of.
Only cost ya $150 if ya mail order. I could not find anything remotely like them in this hick town, Reno, NV!

these are my Winter work boots , Danner 8" Crafter 600 g of thinsulate , suppose to be waterproof, made in Vietnam and yes that is salt all over them , that was how they looked after i got done working just after a bad snow storm last winter, that's just from walking thought the snow in different terminals, hooking and unhooking trailers , stopping at rest areas , fueling the truck ect.

Attachments

• IMG_20230224_165955850.jpg
    IMG_20230224_165955850.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 55