These Boots are made for walkin'...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

During the 70's I inheirited a new pair of "fruit boots" like the Beatles allegedly wore. They were a basic black, dress boot with what I would call double heels to make me look taller. They were comfortable and I liked them a lot.

View attachment 19934
Yep. In the 60's we called them fairy boots. Fruit boot, fairy boot...meant the same thing, and generally accurately described the personality of the "young man" who wore them.

I discovered "walking boots," more comfortable for walking because they had a lower heel and much-reduced arch. I wore those, although the open welt on the insides of the barrel tended to chafe my calf. Recently I discovered Double D boots - which sew a leather flap over that exposed welt. No more chafing.

akbluz

Blackhawk
I like Justin dress boots. I have a couple of pairs that are about 30 years old and have been re-soled twice. The leather is elephant hide and they look as good as when I bought them.
My latest "work" western boots are Double H and they are robust and very comfortable. I don't plan on ever having to buy any more boots as these have served me well.

caryc

Hawkeye
Recently there was a thread about brand of jeans everybody wears, which made me think about the boots...
Due to a high instep, it is near impossible to get into a regular western/cowboy boot with a 10" shank. During the 70's I inheirited a new pair of "fruit boots" like the Beatles allegedly wore. They were a basic black, dress boot with what I would call double heels to make me look taller. They were comfortable and I liked them a lot.
Since they wore out, I have basically been wearing velcro strapped "tennis shoes". However, I have always wanted to get another pair of boots. Recently I remembered that the most comfortable shoes I ever wore, were a pair of French Shriner shoes, which led me to look up the other quality shoe that I knew, made by Florsheim. I looked them up and found a pair of simple basic black, round toe zippered boots. Recently got a pair and the second day I was breaking them in, while walking around downtown Reno (I don't advise it) I managed to walk a little over a mile and a half. Longest I have walked anywhere in two years. (Remember I am turning 80 next month) and I am feeling much better. The boots are lined with a material for comfort and even luxurious feel. So that is what I wear now with my black Wrangler jeans. So...what boots are ya'll wearin'?

View attachment 19934
Nice looking boots. Trouble is that you have to be able to bend over far enough to zip them up!

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I've probably worn them all at one time or another. Tony Lamas just don't fit right anymore. We paid a visit to the Nacona factory and I was having custom-made boots done for a while. The price for the makeup when I first started was $25 then the movie Urban Cowboy blew up. The last pair I started to buy it was $250.😡 Justin Ropers are my go-to now, especially the old Partolman boot. They are in rotation with a pair of Bates side zip patrolman boots. My Sunday boots are a pair of Tacovas. The Tacovas are handmade in Mexico. A little pricy but fine boots.

I have a few pairs of cowboy boots, including Dan Post, Laredo and Frye boots. I also wear L.L. Bean and Boggs in the winter time in New Hampshire…

Purchased my Dan Post and Laredo boots when I traveled to San Antonio starting in the 90's…along with getting my Stetson hats at Paris Hatters in San Antonio, TX….one of my favorite US cities!

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
Justin Sea Turtle, over 45 years old, Tony Lama black lizard, Tony Lama peanut brittle lizard, Rios Mercedes black ostrich custom, Rios Mercedes square toe peanut brittle ostrich, Rio Mercedes cherry color cow hide, my work boots, over 40 years old, Lucchese black lizard. The most comfortable ones are the Rios Mercedes. Does not count the lace up steel toed work boots I wore as a pipeline welder. Must have wore out at least 25 pair of them.

couple of years ago I walked into our local RedWing boot store and said I wanted a pair of hiking boots and the guy pointed over to the side wall where there was a variety of plastic/leather looking boots with the melted on sole... all made in China... and I had to politely explain that was not what I was looking for... seems what I consider a hiking boot is now a contractor / working boot. Still a pain to find one make in America but it is possible... the issue of late is I think my feet have changed... the last pair of RedWings I bought ($300+) I can't wear... I have tried all kind of insoles and none help. I finally ordered a pair of Thorogoods and after a month of break in and the right insoles I can tolerate them. but they aren't as good as the two pairs I bought from Duluth probably 10 years ago... that were also made in America... I wish I could find then....

The problem with most work boots foreign or domestic is they almost all have what I call mud grip soles... these things collect dirt and mud... I go in and out of people's homes all day long... a smooth soft sole is what I need for two reasons... one you can quickly wipe your feet at the front door and know you are clean and the other is contrary to what most folks would think...smooth gives you better traction on a roof.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I have come to a conclusion that so called "sport" footwear ruins one feet because of no support compared to leather shoes/boots......Second, most footwear has no arch support and Danner heel supports are no longer available. Third, Justin ropers are too low in the heel height and make me feel like I am walking uphill leading to one hell of a backache...remedy? Buy 'em, take to your favorite shoe repair(if it still exists) and add at least 1/2" to the heels.........Yes, I have a lower closet floor filled with boots, some of which used to be called"drinking boots" as that was the only way they were comfortable, as you sat on your duffa and parlayed some wild tale when I still carried on with Bacardi et al...........So there!

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Steel toes for the job, plain toes for farm work, running shoes for running, hunting boots for hunting...
Cowboy boots for easy on - easy off, daily stuff, chores, etc.
Ariat Heritage Lacers and Terrain H2O's cover 99.9% of saddle time, and there's a LOT of it.
No use for fancy boots.

Last edited:

KIR

Sparks, NV
Nice looking boots. Trouble is that you have to be able to bend over far enough to zip them up!
Gonna be 80 next month, so to avoid tippin' over, I start a lot of things sittin' down. Oh, and I finally remembered the name of the full long shank of the style I boots, I originally wanted...Wellingtons. They could either be work boots or dress boots.

I was going to tell about the last time I went with my wife to a big shoe warehouse ... last year and they have a whole section of Georgia Boots and a big banner saying something like .... "keeping America working". and all the Georgia boots I looked at, just a few, were made in China.... so I just went to the Georgia boot web site to find their exact slogan and got down to the bottom of their site and there was a section labeled. "Made In USA". I just discovered they have a line that is actually made here.... I may have to try a pair.

Mike J

Hunter
I was going to tell about the last time I went with my wife to a big shoe warehouse ... last year and they have a whole section of Georgia Boots and a big banner saying something like .... "keeping America working". and all the Georgia boots I looked at, just a few, were made in China.... so I just went to the Georgia boot web site to find their exact slogan and got down to the bottom of their site and there was a section labeled. "Made In USA". I just discovered they have a line that is actually made here.... I may have to try a pair.
Interesting, I might have to look into that. Years ago I used Georgia boots for a while. Then I got a pair that wasn't as good as those I had previously owned & after they wore out I went another direction. Of course that has happened to me with more than one brand of work boots.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Nice dress boots Kir.
first thought when reading the title and I bet some others here thought the same.

JackpineWillie

Single-Sixer
Back in 1966 I found myself in far West Texas for military duty and decided it was time for this city boy to get a pair of cowboy boots. I've always loved the look of them, but despite trying several times, and wasting a good amount of dollars, I have never found a pair that I can wear for more than a few minutes before the pain makes me take them off. I've also looked for the elusive "all day motorcycle boot" and have wasted even more money over the years in this quest. I've had lots of motorcycle boots that are just fine for riding, and give good protection and sometimes even some venting so that I don't roast my feet on a summer day, but never ones that also were good for walking more than very, very short distances. So now at 80 years old (in about 6 weeks) I have had to accept that boots are not my thing.

I pretty much wear "tennis shoes" year round, although I have few pair of New Balance "walking shoes" that are pretty comfortable. For real walking I have found a brand new to me named Hoka, and with decent inserts, I can walk pretty much pain free all day. For winter, and when there is snow on the ground, the best thing I have found are high top "snow boots" from L.L. Bean which have the extra value of really helping on slippery surfaces.

After reading this thread I am tempted to try those Florsheim zip up boots but wonder how they would look when I wear shorts and t-shirts in the summer. Something about shorts and boots brings to mind an image I am not fond of.
After being a hairdresser for almost fifty years, my wife's feet are pretty much shot, she also walks a couple miles a day for health reasons. She now wears Hoka's exclusively for walking pain free.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Carhartt makes some work boots that I'm sure are Chinese but the low 6" moccasin toe style I have worn for at least 6 years.(1 pair) I may soon have to look into another pair. Soft soles and fairly smooth. I find they work pretty well on roofs, walking in the woods, motorcycling etc. The big thing is they are soft and comfortable and flexible. Toes are not hard.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
These

Attachments

• 71rkR4c4tnL._AC_UY1000_.jpg
    71rkR4c4tnL._AC_UY1000_.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 47
The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Right now I'm wearing Chippewa cowboy boots, about 30 years old and resoled twice.
My favorites are a set of desert combat boots that I got brand new on sale from Midway. Roughout suede of course. They're the most comfortable boots I've had since my old Vietnam jungle boots, which they are derived from...they fit my orthotics perfectly and are great on the motorcycle.