TLA #5

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
Last weekend at the gun show in Lincoln, I met an older gentleman that had a TLA #5 in 44 magnum. This is the only TLA that I have ever seen in my life so I was all sorts of excited. I talked with him for some time about it and fondled it as well. The gun was cosmetically rough looking with quite a few (probably 15% of the surface) blemishes in the bluing on the cylinder, cylinder frame, and barrel. I would guess that there was once some light surface rust that had been buffed and oiled off. Mechanically it was sound.

I ended up passing on it because it wasn't something I really "need" or was looking for specifically, and the condition wasn't the best. I like pretty guns. However, it was really cool to actually hold a little piece of sixgun history.

I would like to know a little more on the history of that gun. How many were actually produced, other calibers, stuff like that? Also, I want to know how bad I screwed up!!!! He had it listed for $600. I only had $450 in my wallet, don't currently load for (and don't really want to start loading) 44 mag, and am on a veterinarian student budget so I talked my self out of it. Once I started to look, I saw them going for $2500+ in pristine condition on the internet. Would the cosmetic damage reduce the value that much?

I am now kicking myself really hard and am pretty sure that the guy didn't really know what he had. Did I miss a once in a lifetime deal??????

Thanks in advance,
J.Johnson

contender

Ruger Guru
You missed a deal.
We have a member here,,, cubrock,,, who is writing a book on TLA's. He would LOVE to find out any information about any of them out there.
Maybe he'll chime in soon.

Sorry to say it but you did mess up on not getting the TLA. Grovers original plan called for 1000 of the #5's but he never got them all completed. Most were 44 Mags with a few 45 Colts, a few 41 Mags and I believe even a few 357s. True, if the finish was worn it would not be a $2500 gun but someone like Alan Harton can refinish it and you would have had a rare gun at a steal of a price. I have had 4 or 5 of the #5s and the cheapest one was several times the $600 price of the one you saw.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Unless you were buying it for an investment, I'd say you did the right thing. I've only seen a handfull of TLA's and each one was as backward and awkward to me as a left handed catcher's mitt.

Bob Wright

I don't know as I would call them awkward or backwards but they do finish up right nice. Both these TLA's are 41 magnums and among my favorites in the 41 group.
TLA41.jpg

TLA003.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention, the first one started out like the following picture before I sent it to Alan to put together and finish.
TLA41-7.jpg

markggtp

Bearcat
In 25 years of gun shoping ,i've only ever seen 1, it was probably 12+ years ago and it sold for $1800 then! It was a sweet looking gun...

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
They're exquisite guns. I've personally never seen one of them for sale that's seen hard use and is well worn like the one you describe. When I do, and if I only have $450 in my pocket, I'm making a quick trip to the ATM for the balance.
DSC03384-1.jpg

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
I would have bought it with the intention of sending it to a real pro (as in expensive but done correctly) for a restoration. I have always wanted one. John Taffin writes about them in his books but as another member has posted further research is being done.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Robb - I didn't know you had a West Texas Flattop Target!!?? That is great. One has been on my list for a while, this was further confirmed when I shot Jim Taylor's gun that Boge now owns.

J. Johnson - you should have bought it, that is a steal. It would be a cool shooter as is.

BB45C

Hondo44

Hawkeye
J. Johnson,

Don't feel too bad, we've all been there, done that a time or two!

As the old german adage goes: "We get too soon old, and too late smart." Or when it comes to gun buying: "We say too soon no, and too late shoulda' bought that." You could have made a couple hundred for your vet student budget by reselling it.

Name and phone, name and phone, name and phone!! I learned a long time ago, always get contact info in case you change your mind or a buddy says; "I've been looking for one of those!"

Last time I went to cubrock's (AKA Stephen Webb) website, he was looking for a rough one for a project IIRC:
http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=208184;article=326326
http://www.sixgun-forums.com/sixguns/content/9-texas-longhorn-arms-improved-number-five
http://www.gunblast.com/Boge_TLA45FT.htm

Oh, and THANK YOU for your service!

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the info guys. I am really regretting it now. Hopefully I will catch up to this gentleman in a few weeks at another show (fingers crossed).

Hondo44, I will now always be asking for contact info in case I change my mind.

Also, I can see how my original post could be misleading. I have edited it to correct my mistake. I was never in the service. I am in a Professional Program in Veterinary Medicine. I can't in good conscious allow my mistake to be misinterpreted. I will however gladly pass your thanks on to my good friend who did a tour in Afghanistan with the Marine Corp. He was discharged last spring, got married, and started college last fall. We can never thank our veterans enough!!!!!

Matt, I actually talked this one away from Boge a couple of years ago. The only reason I pestered him so hard was because it was a 41 Mag. Now if I can find a 41 Mag border special I would be a REALLY happy camper!

cubrock

Blackhawk
Robb Barnes said:
Matt, I actually talked this one away from Boge a couple of years ago. The only reason I pestered him so hard was because it was a 41 Mag. Now if I can find a 41 Mag border special I would be a REALLY happy camper!

Well, you and I both know where one is.... ;)

k22fan

Blackhawk
I never heard of a TLA. Can one of you share a brief story of the company and their guns?

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Texas Longhorn Arms

Not a Ruger but a different manufacturer, based in Texas, owned by the late Bill Grover.

John Taffin has written extensively about them in most of his books. Also, fellow forum member Cubrock is writing a book on them.

Easiest way to learn more may be to do some googling on them.

BB45C

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
The first TLA I ever owned, now with Cubrock, was one that had seen some use, had some bluing wear and somewhere along the way lost its shoes. Still a cool gun and had read much about them. The fella at the show had three of them, and on that particular day, the shoeless one was the only one I could afford. Even without grips, and this being about 14 years ago, it still cost me around what your guys wanted. I do remember leaving the show with it wondering if I had made a mistake--proved I did just fine. Some pretty grained walnut and the gun was a beauty. The grip was a little weird, much thinner than most #5's I have seen since. Cubrock says its special, but won't share how, only pokes that I have to buy the book. I plan do when he allows.

I wish I could remember who I originally sold that 41 mag Flat Top Target to 10-12 years ago. Many of these TLA's seem to float back and forth and around. We almost share them if you track the history back on some of these guns. I think I sold it several years before Boge got it. It's one that from a historical standpoint it's good I sold, as I thought long and hard about having the barrel cut down.

They are fun guns to shoot, but ones near mint are often just fondled and set back in the safe. I as well as others on this forum I bet, would love to find a TLA with some carry wear. Makes a good shooter--use them as intended.

Latest posts