US Navy warship commander mocked for holding rifle with scope mounted backward

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
My father once told me of talking to a retired Army Ranger who did not know how to swim.... Hell in 1949 he was a marine on a sub and they dropped him and some buddies off in the pacific to tread water and came back the next day for them.
Thats cazy. Rangers were REQUIRED to swim in full gear to graduate

'
'Okay, I got to ask the question... I looked at the photo and how does one determine that the scope is mounted backwards?'
I guess you've already answered your own question.
My comment is: One must understand that many/most higher level Command Officers are much like our current politicians--basically ^$$ kissers who climbed the ladder w/o knowing much about their business. IMHO, any rank above Major is more about the 'big picture' than about sending bullets downrange. Sorry if this pinches toes.

I retired from the U.S. Army as a Lieutenant Colonel with 24 years of active duty. As an officer in the Medical Service Corps, the only time in my entire career that I was issued a service weapon was my year in Vietnam. During most of my years of service I was required annually to attend a weapon's "familiarization" where I would fire the weapon that I would be issued in a combat zone, i.e., a service rifle when I was an 0-1 through 0-3, and a handgun when I was an 0-4 and 5. Weapon familiarization usually meant that I would be give one magazine and told to fire downrange. Often there were not even targets set up. When firing a handgun it was the same, except that some years due to ammo shortages we were given only a single round to fire.

On my own I enjoyed shooting but that had nothing to do with my official duties. I did have a period of time that despite not being a Military Police officer I served as the Provost Marshall for our small installation, and although authorized to carry a 45acp handgun, I was discouraged by the installation Commander from doing so because he said it seemed to him to be "alarming" to have one of his officers armed in that medical organization.

I mention all of this to explain that not every soldier, and certainly not every officer in the military is required to be knowledgable about firearms, let alone proficient with one. When I first arrived in Vietnam and was issued an M-16, a carefully respectful Master Sergeant at the range remarked that he was surprised with how well I was shooting since I was a Medical Service Corps officer. I told him that my shooting skills were personal and not related to my military role.

All indications are the picture was posted on the Navy's social media.

If the picture was fake, yet posted on official Navy social media, was it done by hackers? Or the Navy farms out there social media to someone that knows nothing about the subject matter?

RC44Mag

Buckeye
My time in the fleet I qualified with M16, M14, 1911 and shotgun. Rotated crew so many got to shoot at least once a year at Mil ranges. While in ports( home and overseas) I was on the security alert team instead of QD watch, QD watch sucked.
Got to wear my regular working uniform instead of dress uniforms, made rounds throughout the ship including wep magazines including our ASROC, Harpoon and 'others'. and check in with QD team every 1/2 hr. While doing this watch we carried .45's with 3 magazines. If we weren't on active watch and there was a security alert warning over the 1MC all SAT members were required to high tail it to the small arms locker to get a weapon be it a shotgun, .45 or M14 till the announcement was made to secure the detail.
Time I was in most of us, especially on S.A.T shot very well.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Looking at the photo again, I see empties in the air, no smoke from the barrel, not sure if that is recoil on his cheek, but can any of you folks blow up that lower receiver and see if that carbine is on "safe" or "auto"?

I observe there is no recoil, but there are blurred empty cases in the air. The bolt is forward.
The chances of catching 2 shells in the air, no recoil, bolt fully forward without any blurring of the fast moving bolt and blurring of the shells...

I say it's a fake.

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
Okay, I got to ask the question... I looked at the photo and how does one determine that the scope is mounted backwards? I can't tell that. Now if I had that exact scope I could probably figure it out but not from the photograph.. Also, what is a navy commander doing firing a rifle anyway.... as far as I know the closest they might get to this is to tell some officer below him to tell someone else to push a button.
Wow. Whether I knew the answer (if you are even REMOTELY familiar with firearms, that's a single glance item) or not, you couldn't have PAID me to post your thread… 🤣🤣🤣

IMHO, Commander Cameron Yaste is the USN version of Gersh Kuntzman. Ya'll remember Gershy don't ya, he's the "journalist🤣" that suffered from PTSD after firing an AR-15.

AND

Up next:

"What is it like to eat a Slurpee? It's horrifying, menacing, and then your brain freezes!"

Plus, our breaking news followup report:

"Eating a Slurpee gave me PTSD!"

:)