Very rare Rowel hammer SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
There are two versions of the Rowel hammer SP101 - Single Action / Double Action (SA/DA) and Double Action Only (DAO).
"Rowel" is defined by Webster:

It was first suggested in an engineering drawing dated 7-21-1986. It has the same profile as the rowel hammer used in the "P" series autos. The first "P" auto, the P-85, was to be in production in 1985. The earliest SP101s were shipped in late 1988. Thank you, Don, for the photo.

1719377490469.jpeg

According to MASSAD AYOOB, the "early "rowel" hammer was championed by the late Ruger exec Steve Vogel,"

Even though it seems very practical for a concealed carry gun, it was not adopted. Only a very few (maybe a dozen or two?) were made in the SA/DA mode.
I can speculate that Bill Ruger was a bit of a traditionalist and preferred the original spur hammer. Bill Ruger did have a great marketing sense with very few marketing misses. With close to 1 million SP101s made, one would be hard to disagree with Bill's choices.

The DAO rowel hammer was used on a special run for a U.S. state's Dept. of State. (Not the central government, The U.S. Dept. of State.) We have yet to identify which state's Dept. of State. New Jersey is at the top of the speculative list.
While it seems odd to put a spur or rowel on a DAO (double action only) revolver that cannot be thumb cocked for single action, I can further speculate the government bid required a DAO revolver to be carried in a holster with a hammer retaining strap. I would be grateful for any clarifications.

I have acquired one of each.
The top gun is the very rare SA/DA, and the bottom is the Dept. of State DAO.

1719378161926.jpeg

Terry T