What do you guy know about Colibri ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I didn't follow your link, but, I shoot the "Super Colibri" "sans poudre" ammo in my yard......

flatgate

PS YMMV, since it is indeed "discharging a firearm"...

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
Colibri ammo has only a priming compound to propel a very light bullet. (20 gr, I think) It still makes some noise, but not nearly as much as a 22lr round. It would be a lot quieter if shot from a rifle than from your revolver.
It doesn't have a lot of energy. A 22 caliber air rifle is comparable, and about as quiet.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
It's still kinda noisy for houses 50 feet away. I Wouldn't recommend it for a newer close in subdivison.
My air rifle gets the attention of the neighbors around here, I know they can hear it because I have had a couple "friendly" comments.

A super colibri is louder than my air rifle for sure and sounds like a lOUD firecracker. The cops will be called if more than one or two is fired.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Ok first of all he is asking a specific question.
Can he shoot it in a subdivision.
Not really the decibel level.

1. But it does have a higher decibel level than an air rifle

2. And more important, It sounds absolutely nothing like an air rifle.

It still sounds like a gunpowder explosion, a loud firecracker sound.
So all this nonsense advice that it sounds like an air rifle makes me question whether you fellows have ever really shot this ammo.

It is NOT going to be suited for a tight subdivision. This guy is getting some ridiculous advice.
IT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A FREAKING AIR RIFLE!!!!! The sound is totally different and it is not as quiet period.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I use it when I am raising a litter of Beagles puppies
to help introduce them to gunfire. After the pups are weaned
everytime I feed them I'll go about 30 yds from the kennel and
fire a cylinder or two, moving closer each day until I am right
beside them. Just got done breaking a pair of Mt. Feist pups this way
they are 8 months old and come running when they hear gunfire.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
gatorhugger":k4dhya9k said:
It is NOT going to be suited for a tight subdivision. This guy is getting some ridiculous advice.
IT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A FREAKING AIR RIFLE!!!!! The sound is totally different and it is not as quiet period.

Gator I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of colibri from my break action 22 rifles. Out of a pistol I agree, but a 20" barrel it does, in fact, sound like an airgun. Great thing is that you can get it shipped to your house from midway for about $25 per brick.

My .22 Sheridan 392 is actually louder than this ammo, and so are my springers by a factor of 2. I does however sound EXACTLY like my co2 benjamin. Out of my 28" CZ Silouette gun you can hear the firing pin crunch the rim.

Pistol is loud, but out of a rifle it is great stuff. many a squirrel have fallen to it.

Another thing is that air pellets are about 10 or so grains...these are going the same speed at 20 grains...quite a lot more energy than even the most powerful airguns.

golflender

Bearcat
I like pie,,,I didn't know you could shoot it out of a rifle,,much less hunt with it,,I have a savage ,bolt action .22,,,will it fire out of it ok,, I assume it does no damage to your gun..

Brules

Single-Sixer
golflender":3bxma3zg said:
I like pie,,,I didn't know you could shoot it out of a rifle,,much less hunt with it,,I have a savage ,bolt action .22,,,will it fire out of it ok,, I assume it does no damage to your gun..
It will not damage your Savage. One thing to keep in mind is you need to make sure each time you shoot Colibri's, that the bullet actually leaves the barrel. There are cases where the bullet gets stuck in the barrel. I have shot both Colibri's and Super Colibris and never had any problems. The Colibris will sound like an airgun out of your Savage.

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
The Colibri's say on the box to only shoot them in pistols. There is a very good chance the won't make it out of a rifle barrel. The Super Colibri's are for rifles. I enjoy shooting Colibri's in my Bearcat. The noise is like a cap gun. They aren't too accurate beyond about 20 feet. I live out in the country so they may sound louder in town with buildings around. The other thing to consider is ricochets. No one ever talks about how dangerous they are in town they just worry about the noise. Once you have shot a silenced 22 and hear all the ricochets it really makes you think.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I've shot hundreds of Colibri rounds from a 22" savage, a Remington pump, a Taurus pump, a 77/22, and others. I have yet to see a bullet that "got stuck" in a barrel, not even in frozen barrels in the wintertime. This may be a myth perpetuated by lawyers.

I've never heard or read a first-hand account of a "stuck Colibri".

In a subdivision... ? First, local ordinances will probably make that a Misdemeanor criminal offense involving a firearm. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I have airguns that are noticeably louder than the Colibri rounds. That goes for shooting indoors and in the barn, where the crack is amplified by flat smooth walls. They're not silent by any means, but they are very quiet comparably, and are deadly projectiles (not a toy round).

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
I have had a Colibri round stick in the barrel of my CZ452. That is when I read the warning to only shoot Colibri in a pistol on the yellow Colibri box. The blue and silver Super Colibri box has a different warning and is fine in rifles. The Colibri will not stick every time and I would think the amount of wear a barrel has would make a big difference. My CZ does not have many rounds through it so it could be tighter. The main thing is to read the boxes to make sure you know what you are doing and be careful as always with firearms. It worried me when the round stuck because we were shooting other shells also and if I had not noticed the round had stuck and shot a normal long rifle with the bullet in the barrel I do not know what would have happened.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
CCI CB caps, on the other hand, will stick in a rifle barrel more regularly for some reason. sometimes 1 in 50 for me. That's when I switched to Colibri.

golflender

Bearcat
well its been a couple of weeks I couldn't get my hands on any Colibri, but was able to get 2 boxes of CCI CB Caps,,,shot them in my single six and my savage bolt action rifle,,,

I am still smiling it just too much fun,, :D

comfun1

Bearcat
What happens when one of these sticks in the barrel and you fire the next round?

rugerbh73

Bearcat
I was interested in shooting the stuff in my subdivision, when I first learned of Colibri, so I did a crude penetration test. I fired into a 4x4 landscape timber from about 6 or 7 feet. I also fired into the same landscape timber with my Daisy .177 pellet rifle (10 pumps) from the same distance. The Colibri and the pellet both penetrated until the base of the projectile was flush with the surface of the landscape timber. I know there are more scientific ways to test ammo, but after seeing identical penetration, I felt comfortable shooting Colibri in my subdivision (taking the same precautions as when shooting the pellet rifle).

As for the noise, I find it considerably quieter than CB's in a revolver. While CB's are very quiet in a long gun, they are pretty loud in a revolver. I lived in a subdivision where the lots were 50' wide (camps on a canal that accessed the Calcasieu ship channel). I fired lots and lots of Colibri in my yard and my neighbors never heard a thing. My next door neighbors were surprised when I told them I'd been firing my 22 in the yard.

I gave a box of Super Colibri (only a little louder than Colibri) to a friend who lives in the city. He has a pretty bad squirrel problem. He used the Super Colibri in a MKII (used as a single shot) to dispatch trapped squirrels without allerting his "bunny hugger" neighbors.

I think the CB's hit harder than the Colobri. When I was a kid, I killed a lot of rabbits (usually 20 yards or less) with CB's in a rifle and killed a crow at around 30 or 40 yards. I would not consider the Colibri's adequate for this kind of thing (but have not tried it).

Either way, the more trigger time the better. I'm glad to hear your having fun with your 22's.

golflender

Bearcat
comfun1":1bf0dwm3 said:
What happens when one of these sticks in the barrel and you fire the next round?

I have not had one stick yet,,but I assume they would just fall out if you tilt your barrell

golflender

Bearcat
rugerbh23----- it seemed as 25 yards is about the range on these,,the starling and the groundhog population need to beware in my neighborhood from now on,,,although it was enjoyable to shoot these in my single six,,I have to say a scoped rifle is more fun and a bit quieter,,,,

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
When a bullet sticks, you have to push it out with a cleaning rod. It will not just fall out. I do not know what happens if you fire another round with a bullet in the barrel. I think if it is a Colibri, you will have 2 stuck but can sill push them out with the cleaning rod. A regular 22 might hurt your gun.

Latest posts