Why I don't fly...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
I have never had any fear of flying. During 5 years in the Air Force during the Korean War, although I was not a pilot, I did log a lot of flying time.

Beginning in 1960, as Undersheriff of a Colorado county, I flew as a commercial passenger, mostly on duty, often enough to become a member of the 100,000 Mile Club on United and nearly as many miles on Frontier and Continental.

Then starting in the 70's the airlines started requiring my secretary, who made the reservations for me, to notify the ticket agent that i would be armed on board. That was OK, so no problem.

Then in a few years, the requirement was that my secretary had to notify the ticket agent that I would be armed on board, and then when I checked in I was informed that I had to notify the pilot that I was armed on board before takeoff. This got to be difficult since I could not always find the pilot until I was on board and once on board the pilot was often busy up front.

Finally I just stopped flying on commercial aircraft and start chartering a local charter plane and pilot with Thunderbird Flying Service. The charter plane was able to fly me to anywhere, often not to a large commercial airport, often to little places where I used to have to rent a car from an airport to get there, then wait for me to return, often the same day, and The County was paying for the flights.

We learned that in total, comparing the costs over previous years that included plane fare, taxis, rental cars, hotels, etc., with the cost of flying charter, with fewer overnight stays, fewer hotel costs, much fewer rental car costs, fewer restaurant costs, etc, the costs for me to fly chartered were no greater than previous commercial flights trips. Plus I was gone from home less time.

Since that time I have never flown a commercial airliner and I never intend to do so again.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Two incidents in flying happened to me; One was flying out of Phoenix, AZ in the middle of summer, the plane lifted off the runway, but there was NO "thump/thump" of the landing gear being tucked away; my seat mate and I looked each other wondering when the pilot came on to explain that the "reason" the landing was being left down for a bit was to allow it to "COOL OFF"
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
guy sitting across the aisle from us started laughing and said it was a perfectly good explanation because with that model aircraft, if you taxied too far on a very hot day the landing gear would heat up to the point that if you put them away the "Fuse/soft plug would melt and you would land with flat tires.He said even if you taxied too far it had the same result. He was a pilot for that airlines and was flying into LAX to transition into a newer model aircraft but he flew the current aircraft down south on a milk run of short hops on hot days and frequently NEVER pulled the gear up between landings on those days. (This was back in the 1970's)
The other incident was a night time landing at LAX on the OLD Western Airlines; We were ALMOST DOWN, looking out the window you could see the "Proud Bird" restaurant alongside the open approach field and next would have been the "Thump-thump" onto the runway when the pilot applied full power and UP we went (needed a screwdriver to pry fingers loose from the arm rest). The pilot came on with the explanation that the plane that had landed ahead of us had Taxied TOO SLOW and the controllers had waved us off. A quickly circle and we were on the ground safely.

Number9

Blackhawk
In 1970, I took a MAC flight out of Travis AFB, the plane was an old Braniff 707.
Didn't like the chipped faded paint.. the grease streaks on the main wheels.. dirty seats with holes.. and old stewardess.. or the crazed windows. Every seat taken.. full fuel load and baggage. I was wearing wool blues.. air on the plane was very bad with a bad smell.
I thought this was going to be a hell of a flight to Hawaii!
The pilot went to full power even before completing the turn to get straight with the runway.
On roll-out the plane shook and vibrated under full power. Travis is around 11,000 feet and we took every inch! The plane lifted off and the noise of the struts when clunk-clunk...only to touch down again after a second. We lifted off a second time only seconds before the end markers passed under us. When we passed the Golden Gate Bridge.. the vehicles on the bridge wasn't much below us!
2 1/2 hours out, we hit real bad turbulence.. people getting sick as the plane made moves most roller coasters couldn't match! The wing deflection on a 707 is about 8 feet up and down from center.. I know they were at their limit.
I made it to Hawaii.. it was 78 degrees and me dressed in wool.. it wasn't a good day!! :shock:

Tenbore

Blackhawk
If there were the same number of cars on the road as planes in the sky, cars would be safer too.

sebtool

Blackhawk
One of my favorites is the Rock Springs, WY airport. Basically, it's up on top of a butte. The couple of times I got to 'visit' was in Jan. or Feb., when it's nice and cold, and windy as all hell.... Might as well relax and enjoy the ride, 'cuz there ain't much you can do about it! :lol:

wizofwas said:
Fox Mike said:
I stand by my statement...flying is the safest mode of transportation.
Sorry, but not quite true. Yes flying is one of the safest modes of transportation, but not the safest, at least per passenger mile. Since they've put the safety features on elevators, there have been very few, if any deaths on them. Those long people moving belts that I've seen and ridden on a few times are kind of new I think. And I haven't heard of any deaths on them. And how can I forget my favourite mode of transportation, the escalator. IIRC, I read someplace that the escalator is the safest mode of transportation/passenger mile with no fatalities at all. :)
All to true BUT I haven't found an elevator, or an escalator that will take me from Baltimore MD to Providence RI. :roll:

Word is the pilot still had the controls in his hand. He went down fighting to keep the aircraft flying after an engine failure. Pilots are some gutsy folks. I've flown with some who wouldn't even breath heavy until after things quieted down. I'll fly and relax while doing so.

graygun

Hunter
I've seen two AF jets crash. One at McGuire 2-1-71 (the day I got back from Vietnam,pilot ejected) and the Thunderbird pilot who died at Transpo at Dulles in '72 after ejecting and coming to earth at the crash site.

exavid

Hunter
Jeepnik said:
Word is the pilot still had the controls in his hand. He went down fighting to keep the aircraft flying after an engine failure. Pilots are some gutsy folks. I've flown with some who wouldn't even breath heavy until after things quieted down. I'll fly and relax while doing so.

Pilots aren't all that gutsy, they're the first ones to the scene of the crash and are trying to save their own butts. Looks like that crew didn't have enough engine out training, that pilot who had his hand on the throttle after the crash had apparently shut down the wrong engine. The aircraft would have had no trouble with take off and climb out on one engine but it didn't do so well with none. If you watch them yank the nose up to clear that building you can see what happens when a wing stalls. She's gonna fall off to the left due to P effect and torque with normal CW (seen from the cockpit) propeller rotation and that's just what it did. I sure feel sorry for the passengers and crew but chalk this one up to pilot error.

Flying is definitely a safe way to travel. I got away with 5500 hours of flying in Alaska without scratching the paint on an airplane. If I can do it, it's not that hard. But it does require not making mistakes, at least not low and slow.

stevemb

Hunter
The cost of beer at the airport will kill ya ! I'm afraid to even ask once on board.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
We fly a few times a yr. faster than driving and yup, safer. Would hate to have the fear of flying and never be able to visit the places we have or those that we plan to in the future. No bridge across the Atlantic. ;) can't live inside a box. It's a big world.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
graygun said:
I've seen two AF jets crash. One at McGuire 2-1-71 (the day I got back from Vietnam,pilot ejected) and the Thunderbird pilot who died at Transpo at Dulles in '72 after ejecting and coming to earth at the crash site.

I did see the Thunderbird eject and then drift into the fireball of his AC. A co-worker filmed it and the NTSB took his film to evaluate the incident. He did get it back eventually.

There was also a crash during the pylon racing and another pilot died in some kite type thing. I didn't see that.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
...On the plus side of being in an airliner crash...
- at 500 mph, you don't feel a thing, and you make the front page! Plus, double indemnity benefits for your beneficiary!
What a way to go, eh?

nearly 2M miles on Northwest/Delta and 300K on American... If there is a success recipe: Avoid Chicago, JFK, Newark and ATRs!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
All to true BUT I haven't found an elevator, or an escalator that will take me from Baltimore MD to Providence RI. :roll:

Hi,

Frank, please don't say that TOO loud: we don't want Jerry Brown to add such a thing to his list of "really important transportation projects" out here! :lol:

Rick C

sebtool

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
...On the plus side of being in an airliner crash...
- at 500 mph, you don't feel a thing, and you make the front page! Plus, double indemnity benefits for your beneficiary!
What a way to go, eh?

nearly 2M miles on Northwest/Delta and 300K on American... If there is a success recipe: Avoid Chicago, JFK, Newark and ATRs!

That's encouraging - I'm going thru Newark tomorrow!!!!! :roll:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Most of my (non commercial) flying was done up in BC in old Beavers, Cessnas etc on floats. Had a somewhat hairy ride a time or two but God I loved it! Them ol' bush pilots know their stuff and I always trusted their judgement all the way back to the ground. I walked away from every landing. Wish I was still flying with them... 8)

6gun

Hunter
sebtool said:
One of my favorites is the Rock Springs, WY airport. Basically, it's up on top of a butte. The couple of times I got to 'visit' was in Jan. or Feb., when it's nice and cold, and windy as all hell.... Might as well relax and enjoy the ride, 'cuz there ain't much you can do about it! :lol:

It's always windy as hell in Rock Springs Wyoming year round. been there countless times the wind never stops.

I think now days your pretty safe flying long as you don't flying on Asian Air.

Cooperhawk said:
graygun said:

I did see the Thunderbird eject and then drift into the fireball of his AC. A co-worker filmed it and the NTSB took his film to evaluate the incident. He did get it back eventually.

There was also a crash during the pylon racing and another pilot died in some kite type thing. I didn't see that.

Won't go into all the details of each one but as to "seeing" crashes (or at least the immediate aftermath) A-4, F-4 (three) F-105, F-101, KC-135, UH-1 (five), and so many inflight emergencies, barrier engagements, wheel and brake fires, engine fires, collapsed landing gear, etc. I can attest that pilots are a special breed. Not perfect (who is) but I'd fly with any of those fellows.

To hear their voices, cold as ice, while the aircraft is literally falling apart around them gives the best idea of the type of people they are.