Winchester Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fredo

Bearcat
I'm a relatively new shooter and I go to the range every week with two 9 mm pistols. I'm a little freaked about ammo prices but I see great deals on Winchester. I've heard that it's dirty but I clean my firearms religiously after every trip to the range.
Should I still stay away?

DGW1949

Hunter
The only Winchester 9MM that I still shoot is their 9MM NATO-124 Grn FMJ, which I buy by the case. It is excellent ammo IF your particular pistol is "+P" rated. If your's ain't, you'll need something more in line with SAAMI pressure-specs for 9MM Luger...FWIW, my favorite "standard load" 9MM is S&B 124 GRN FMJ. I've seen way less QC issues with that than I've seen with Winchester's "white box" USA-branded stuff....and it's cheaper too.
Hope this helps.

DGW

Enigma

Hunter
Winchester White Box ammo has developed a very spotty reputation in the past few years. I have experienced 9mm WWB that had varying powder charges in the same box, and varying overall lengths of the loaded cartridges. I won't buy their white box ammo now, in any flavor.

Mike J

Hunter
I haven't had any problems with it (WWB) but I have seen more than one negative report about it on the forum boards. I've been buying blazer brass for range use lately.

Fredo

Bearcat
Nothing wrong with Winchester for ordinary range use, but I would hope that you periodically run some quality self defense ammo also. Something like Hornady Critical Defense or Federal Punch, especially if you carry.
Yes I'm looking for range ammunition at a reasonable price. I use Hornady hollow point in my carry

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
You might keep an eye out for Browning FMJ on sale. I've used it in the past in 9mm and .45acp for backyard plinking. I picked up a 150rds of .45 a couple weeks ago for $70 at my LGS. 9mm is of course cheaper. S&B, Fiocchi, Blazer and other 9mm range ammo generally runs about $16/50rnds here.

Last edited:

Fredo

Bearcat
You might keep an eye out for Browning FMJ on sale. I've used it in the past in 9mm and .45acp for backyard plinking. I picked up a 150rds of .45 a couple weeks ago for $70 at my LGS. 9mm is of course cheaper.
Thanks.I just stocked up on some for.28 a round at Bereli who never charges for shipping.

'Dirty' is a relative term. ANY price point ammo is lower cost because of lower cost of production and one place cost is reduced is by using lower grade components--powder being one. Lower grade powder leads to more 'fouling'-hence the 'dirty' flag. I load my own 'blasting ammo' using quality primers and powder so really don't have first hand experience with factory made 'blaster grade' ammo.

WWB in .38 is some of the "dirtiest" ammo I have ever used. It is accurate and seems to be consistent though.

For 9mm I purchased several cases of Fiocci FMJ years ago. It runs great and is very clean. For carry I run Federal HST 124g +P.

I've found that the cheap commie ammo is just nasty stuff... I think they make their cellulose from old unwashed clothes.... I know Wolf ammo has a specific smell to it.
I guess one benefit of shooting cheap unreliable ammo would be you get to practice malfunction drills... which most gun owners and even those that shoot often don't have a clue about.

hittman

Staff member
Winchester has never hit my radar as dirtier than any other 9mm. I use a lot of the bulk 115 grain FMJ cause it's almost always in stock, on sale, and works every time. There's 100 and 200 packs around here somewhere.

For carry, it's usually a hotter load of whatever brand I have.

Winchester has never hit my radar as dirtier than any other 9mm. I use a lot of the bulk 115 grain FMJ cause it's almost always in stock, on sale, and works every time. There's 100 and 200 packs around here somewhere.

For carry, it's usually a hotter load of whatever brand I have.
I am in agreement here too.
I use a lot of ammo in a lot of different flavors. I always wonder, when somebody says a specific brand is dirtier, what do they actually see? Or are they just repeating...

At the end of a range session, I never say, "gee this ammo was really dirty". The gun is dirty regardless, and I clean my guns when I get home, regardless. :cool:

hittman

Staff member
And about the cheap commie ammo …. That's all I ever bought for AK47s but those are the only guns I ever fired steel cased stuff through too.

I get away with it cause AKs ( at least MINE ) will chew through ANYTHING without fail.