1911s the price differences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

B.L. Hall

Single-Sixer
Rock Island for $400 to Kimber for $1500.... are the high priced ones really that much better? I mean for a fraction you can put Ed Brown match grade innards in a $400 one, then are they equal? I'm just curious.

I have a Kimber Custom I, I got in pieces for a great deal years ago. I have enough Ed Brown parts for a couple 1911s.... I'm thinking about trading the Kimber for two or thee guns...

DGW1949

Hunter
The way I figure it, a "bare bones" 1911A1 (or clone) is going to need bigger sights, a better-fitted barrel bushing, and probably some trigger work before I put it into service....so I'd have to add $150-$200 to the price of the gun right off the bat.

On the other hand, a Kimber already has those things...but it's also got a lot of fluff that I neither care for, nor care to pay for. And to make matters worse, my understanding is that many of them require some sort of specialuty mag in order to run right....which I don't care for either.

All that said....given the choice you present, I'd sell the Kimber, buy the RIA, pocket the change and never look back.

But that's just me, I'm a real basic sort of guy.

DGW

Cholo

Staff member
I guess it all comes down to if you look at guns as tools or works of art that are meant to be shot. I'll gladly take quality over quantity anytime, no matter what we're talking about. And, no, I'm not buying a Clark Custom to satisfy my quality aspect... :)

eveled

Hawkeye
There is a place in the middle, were you are paying for quality, but not overpaying for fluff.

There are so many 1911's to choose from, the best thing is to find the one that comes the way you want it, and not waste money changing parts after you buy it.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Pat-inCO said:
Is a Lexus that much better than a Volkswagen Beetle? :shock:

Pat ... it is indeed, as a Lincoln is generally better than a Ford and a Cadillac is generally better than a Chevy :lol:.

Unfortunately, the problem with this analogy is that while the average individual can easily see and feel the difference between a basic and luxury car, it is a great deal more difficult for most shooters to demonstrate "on paper" why a $4,000 Nighthawk (or similar) is truly worth $3,000 more than a Springfield (or similar). From a Ransom rest at 25 yards or in the hands of a skilled/professional marksman, the tight tolerances, custom fitting, match barrel and fine tuning of the high end 1911s can be realized. But keeping it real, most of the rest of us don't put in the practice time necessary to hone our skills to the level of getting the very best out of a high end pistol, no more than the vast majority of us would be successful in driving a Sprint Cup Car at 200+ mph :(

cas6969

Buckeye
I have a $600 1911 that I've swapped in almost $350 worth of parts to make it "just right".
I recently bought a $1200 1911 that's I've put close to $450 worth of parts in to make it "just right". :roll: In theory the one is better than the other. In reality, not so much. Not "double" much. ;)

I get to play with a lot of high end 1911's and I think they're all over priced. I say that comparing what they're doing and what you're getting, compared to paying the same amount of money to a big name custom revolver builder, what they're doing and what you're getting for the same money.

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I see a 1911 for what it was designed to be, a combat pistol. I change mine to look like the one I used back the Navy in the early 1970s. They all have a lanyard MSH, wide spur hammer, and issue sights. At 62 my eyes can't even find the sights. But that is okay because I have shot the darn things so much I just point and shoot. I can still lob the big old 230 gr. FMJ into a 4" circle at 100 yards. One of those high dollar super fitted, special sighted beauties, would be wasted on me. When shooting buddies handle one of my 1911s the first thing they do is shake it to see if they rattle. They do! But that is okay with me cause I know they won't jam and the accuracy comes from the bushing to barrel fit not the slide to frame fit. Make mine mil-spec please.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Revolver-Time said:
When shooting buddies handle one of my 1911s the first thing they do is shake it to see if they rattle. They do!

The only thing that tells me is your 'shooting buddies' don't know squat about 1911's .... and if they did ... That wouldn't even come into play. When somebody does that ... It just shows they're a neophyte with regard to 1911's ... and don't understand the basics of the gun. Do that in a gun shop and people will just roll their eyes ....

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
eveled said:
The best thing is to find the one that comes the way you want it, and not waste money changing parts after you buy it.

Absolutely !

Any 1911 that sells for more than about $1000 .... Is unlikely to be able to be appreciated by the vast majority of shooters ... Myself included. That includes guns like the Colt Gold Cups, Springfield Range Officers, and Springfield Match and Target models. Anything beyond models like that will likely be getting into cosmetics and 'special fitting' that will be unusable to the vast majority of the shooting public.

I definitely can appreciate the difference between the above guns and an entry level gun like the SR1911, but not so much between the above guns and guns costing a LOT MORE. So my limit for a 1911 is right about $1000. And I VERY RARELY change ANY parts on guns ... EVER .... that's just throwing money away.

REV

Ethang

Blackhawk
You need it to feed reliably, good sights and a good trigger. You will want a beavertail and to a lessor extent, a larger thumb safety. When you can out shoot the barrel and know it, maybe a match barrel.

Much else other than that is fluff. Nice looking fluff, but fluff.

RCP1936

Bearcat
Revolver-Time said:
I see a 1911 for what it was designed to be, a combat pistol. I change mine to look like the one I used back the Navy in the early 1970s. They all have a lanyard MSH, wide spur hammer, and issue sights. Make mine mil-spec please.
Just ordered a Kahr 1911 AO
It is a dead ringer for the 1924-1986 -1911 A1
It will go well with my SR1911

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I also have a AO by Kahr. It has been rock solid for about a year. But, and I am sure I will hear from the gun snobs, I also have a PT1911 that has way over 10k rounds thru it. It sits in the safe with 3 Colts, a Sig, and a Remington all in 1911 and all in A1 trim. Somehow the Taurus always finds its way to the range bag each week. Many people think the PT1911 is junk. Well if mine ever breaks you can bet it will be replaced.

dakota1911

Buckeye
With a lot of the lower priced 1911s it is sort of like buying a used 1911. It really helps to know 1911s and look the pistol over and shaking it does not mean much. If you are a first time buyer of a 1911 and you don't know 1911s then it may be which company has the best customer service.

revhigh

Hawkeye
dakota1911 said:
If you are a first time buyer of a 1911 and you don't know 1911s then it may be which company has the best customer service.

99% of 1911's will never need service. So buying on that criteria is senseless.

The best entry level 1911 available for the price right now IMO is the Springfield MilSpec ... Either stainless or blued.

If you want to go lower in price ... Then the Rock Island.

REV

Revolver-Time said:
I see a 1911 for what it was designed to be, a combat pistol. I change mine to look like the one I used back the Navy in the early 1970s. They all have a lanyard MSH, wide spur hammer, and issue sights. At 62 my eyes can't even find the sights. But that is okay because I have shot the darn things so much I just point and shoot. I can still lob the big old 230 gr. FMJ into a 4" circle at 100 yards. One of those high dollar super fitted, special sighted beauties, would be wasted on me. When shooting buddies handle one of my 1911s the first thing they do is shake it to see if they rattle. They do! But that is okay with me cause I know they won't jam and the accuracy comes from the bushing to barrel fit not the slide to frame fit. Make mine mil-spec please.

What about bushingless 1911s?

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
Still the lock-up between the barrel and the slide. And since the sights are on the slide it doesn't really matter if the frame to slide fit is a bit sloppy.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Does anyone make a 1911 that is of poor quality? Doesn't work, right out of the box? Not reliable. I'm not talking exceptions here, Is there a 1911 that just doesn't work because of poor manufacturing. I'm not talking sights, magazines or accuracy, needs to be combat accurate (6" or less @ 25 yds). I'm talking parts breaking, doesn't function.... a "don't buy this gun". Also, are there any 1911's that need to be babied to work properly? You know, this gun works great... as long as you do or don't do this(whatever).

loaded round

Hunter
Those Kimber Eclipse II Target autos sure are purty and make nice eye candy. However when push comes to shove and the malt liquor bottles start hitting the house, I'm going for my SR1911 with 230 gr hard ball.