1911s the price differences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J said:
Interestingly enough I read posts on another forum here a while back. I think Springfield is using US made frames now. I can not verify for certain but some people were saying the frames don't have Imbel on them any more. Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm or discredit this.

The muslim reference I was making was to the Turkish made guns.

They say it under the right grip, it's not forward of the trigger guard anymore.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
got some chuckles off the back and forth over weather higher priced guns are worth the money over low priced guns and debates on slide fit not a factor in accuracy compared to barrel, barrel bushing etc.
My 2cents, you often pay for what you get in guns up to a point. Some might well think its worth it to pay 1200-1400 for a gun with forged or billet machined precision internals and great fit and finish, vs lesser priced versions chocked full of mim parts and lesser grades of finish, yea they may well shoot just as well but wont begrudge someone for liking the finer look and feel of a higher end 1911.
As far as accuracy goes theres several factors, Barrel, match barrels are more accurate. period. to get the most from a match grade barrel you must have a properly fitted barrel bushing. By this i mean the bushing should require a wrench to loosen it from the slide and the end of the barrel last 1/2" anyway should be a snug slip fit with the rest of the barrel relieved enough to allow for reliability. barrel lugs toggle and head-spacing should also be corrected for good fit. finally i disagree about slide fit, as in my experience getting that last measure comes from good frame rail to slide fit. any large amount of slop will imo throw off accuracy simply because movement of the 7" slide and a 5" barrel probably wont always follow the same arc of deflection. That said chances are even a real good shot wouldnt notice that difference though a match barrel and fitted bushing would likely improve most 1911`s accuracy. but then again so will better sights and trigger. you throw all that together and your going to have what les baer sells for $2500, more or less. .... get it? lol

revhigh

Hawkeye
Boutique 1911's are simply not worth it to 99.95% of shooters.

About the most decent shooters can appreciate is $1100 or so.

REV

jimjc

Single-Sixer
Whether one 1911 is better than another depends on what the gun is being used for. If you are in the desert and defending yourself a Wilson combat would be a disaster. Why, as soon as some fine sand got into the gun you're toast. Wilsons are built with tight tolerances for match play, so a $3500 gun would be worth squat and a old loose 1911 would save your butt.

There is such a thing as over building a gun also. Just because something is made of billet doesn't mean one needs it and everything else that isn't billet is junk. Driving a $250.000 race car every day in morning traffic isn't something you want to do, ok you want to but the car won't last many weeks doing it.

1911's made today with modern technology will be more accurate than 98% of the shooters out there, To many shooters today want a gun that makes them look better than they are, that's pretty much as it is.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Well, somebody has to pay the Kimber advertising budget, it can't all come out of the quality control dept.! Rod

revhigh

Hawkeye
Rodfac said:
Well, somebody has to pay the Kimber advertising budget, it can't all come out of the quality control dept.! Rod

LOL.... Mimber.... The Monster Cable of 1911's ..... :D

REV

modrifle3

Buckeye
revhigh said:
Rodfac said:

LOL.... Mimber.... The Monster Cable of 1911's ..... :D

REV

I owned a Kimber and loved the gun just hated the customer service. Oh and most of my installs were with monster cable back in the 90s .... Haha guess I drank the kook aid.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
I have several 1911's, from basic Springfield Armory GI's a 5" Government and 3" Micro Compact versions, a couple PT1911's, blued and stainless, that have been flawless, and have a fair amount of upgrades for a $500 pistol and four Kimbers. I don't prefer the basic GI versions unless I'm using them for "Era or A1 45 Hardball" shoots at the gun club. I carry one of the Kimbers daily, either three inch Ultra Tactical or a four inch Pro. There is a world of difference from basic to the enhanced 1911. That said, I have rarely if ever had a problem with any. My son has the Ruger LW Commander and it to is a very nice pistol.