44 special load in 44mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
Just buy some .44 Special brass a
Why??? The .44 Mag case can handle loads from -600fps to +1300fps loads. My philosophy to to only use the cartridge that the gun was designed for, but load what I want to shoot. Not rocket science here :) .

Rclark

Hunter
I think Contender addressed the problems of tiny powder charges in big cases.
I am sure. That's why you use a powder that uses up more volume in the case if you can. For example. 8.5gr of Unique fills the case more than adequately for a .44 Special load in .44 Mag. Same with Trail Boss for really 'light' loads. Simple....

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Has ANYONE here ever read of a CONFIRMED report of "secondary detonation" blowing up a revolver?

I never have. Squibs? Yup not secondary detonation or whatever it's called.

One of the issues is inconsistent velocity due to powder charge position in the case. I knew an old bullseye shooter (38 SP with minimum loads and wadcutters) who tipped his muzzle up before each shot to move the powder closer to the flash hole.

Rclark

Hunter
One of the issues is inconsistent velocity
Easy enough to test over a chronograph. Most powders I tested didn't seem to have that problem... but there were a few I recall. And the velocities I was looking for were 850-1100, so not 'light' loads.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
One of the issues is inconsistent velocity due to powder charge position in the case. I knew an old bullseye shooter (38 SP with minimum loads and wadcutters) who tipped his muzzle up before each shot to move the powder closer to the flash hole.
If one does that at some of the public ranges down here and you're caught, they may boot you out :) If you have an A/D and it hits the rafters they'll put a plaque next to the hole with the date and your name next to it.

I have a great light 44 mag load that I use. 200 grain lead truncated cone, over 7.5 grains of Win231, I gotta try this tip up/tip down thing with my Garmin Xero. See if I can record a difference.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Not sure if the OP is still looking, but if they want to load 240 grain lead SWC bullets in 44 mag cases to a light 44 special level, just look up Hodgdon's reloading info for Cowboy Action shooting. They list 4 powders with their min to max charges.
CAS shooters using 44 mag brass have been doing this for years. I use Titegroup to do it.

JCK

Single-Sixer
The problem with a double charge is that it often is preceded by, or followed by an empty charge. A squib causing a stuck bullet followed by the double charge will undoubtedly destroy most firearms.
I never had it happen to myself, but I've seen it several times.

I've caught enough inadvertent double charges to know how easy it happens. I never charge a large number of cases sitting in a loading block by means of a powder funnel. I remove the case being charged and then place in another block after charging. I then shine a light in the cases to check volume before seating bullets.

Additionally, I don't allow anyone else in the room when I'm doing it. Especially my wife!
I'm also especially vigilant using my automated loading presses!