45 ACP RELOADING

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Welcome to the forum.

You've replied to a 14 year-old post. I would encourage you to start a new thread to get more responses.

If his post "bumps" the old thread to the top of the Forum (which it does…) what benefit is there to starting another thread? Either way, the new post is at the top of the list, when one opens a Forum.

I don't begrudge anyone starting a new thread, but I also don't see anything wrong with continuing an existing thread.

At times the Forum software actually encourages continuing and old thread by showing it under "Similar threads" at the bottom of a page.

blazero1

Bearcat
Thank you for that I was having a problem with my reloads for the new gun they worked fine in my colt gold cup but did not in the Ruger blackhawk 45 acp cylinder but the info I found in the replies helped me figure out what I was doing wrong I was not putting enough crimp and once I fixed that and still had trouble with some of the reload I realized the problem now was some of the primers were not totally flush with the case I fixed that and now everything is fine so thanks for solving my problem

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
Primers should be seated so that they're recessed below the base of the cartridge. If you run your finger across the base, you should be able to feel a slight dip where the primer is. "Correct" primer seating depth is a whole other topic. Basically, you don't want the primer to get hit by the breechface as the slide comes forward and you also want to ensure the primer is fully seated in the primer pocket when the firing pin hits it.