Any Contender Shooters here? Super 16 Addict Here. . . . .

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheShootist1894

Blackhawk
I have had several affairs with a couple Contenders over the years, and while they always performed better than comparable caliber revolvers, I never felt the draw to them like a wheelgun . . . Always thinking in the back of my mind, this would make a dandy rifle, but as a pistol it was always a little weird for me, and eventually they went down the road in pursuit of #1's or other Handguns.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, local classified lists a G2 Contender 23" Bull bbl, 22LR Match at a good price so I snatched it up, took it to the last gun show to see what I might be able to trade it for, lo and behold the TC aficionados that set up 4 tables of nothing but TC stuff at my local show have a Super 16 22 Hornet barrel, we talk and before long I am walking out with that very barrel mounted on my frame. :D I traded them the 22 Bull barrel as it made the gun quite nose heavy, and heavy didn't fit my vision for the perfect do-all Contender Carbine. Scrounging the interweb I run across a 45-70 Super 16 barrel at a fair price and snag it up too, so at this point you can see where this is going, This thing is the beesknees, 4.3#, superb accuracy, and now I have the smallest and largest centerfire barrels TC made in the super 16, I just might 'need' some more to fill in in-between :lol: If anyone has any for sale, let me know

I also picked up a Pachmayr pistol grip and forend, just incase I come across a pistol barrel I cant resist . . .

2q9iatz.jpg

eaqbua.jpg

o6xrmp.jpg

e9b3he.jpg

22 Hornet shooting PPU factory ammo (no dies or brass yet) top target 50 yds flyer was from cold clean oiled bore, bottom two shots at 100yds, so cold here I quit after that, shot the 45-70 bbl with irons at 50, and it was 6-8" to the right as I forgot to center up the rear sight before going out, seemed to hit the same spot consistantanly however in the snow behind the target . . .may mount a Weaver K2.5 I have around here somewhere.

rhiwqp.jpg

Jim Puke

Hunter
I bought my first Contender in 1987 and added another the next year. I have had one of them since, although I seldom shoot it anymore and I have never had the TCR. I enjoyed mine a lot and had a lot of different handgun calibers in different barrel lengths. Actually, I didn't think that they would ever stop making it...they proved me wrong. It is great concept, however, I have never had any interest in the Encore.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I have a 16" .45/.410 I guess I'll hang on to and just use as a short little, shotgun. Also have a 14" .44 mag barrel with a 12" suppressor welded to the barrel to stretch it to just under 22" that is my favorite hog killer, both on carbine stocks. Very handy. Yours looks very nice.

TheShootist1894

Blackhawk
Sounds like a sweet setup with the can on it mike!
If ya ever want to cut loose that 45-410 bbl keep me in mind ;-)

mikewriter

Blackhawk
If I ever decide to get rid of it, I'll let you know first. Actually had though of putting a can on it and shoot sub-sonic .45LC. since it is 16", I wouldn't have to weld the can on to use a shoulder stock, like I did with the 14" .44.

In the .44, I shoot 335gr hard cast Dave at Montana Bullets made me - at an average of 1050 fps. These bullets in this gun made me a believer in hard cast. Twice so far I have killed to hogs with one shot - and still didn't find the bullet! It isn't movie quiet, of course, but I don't need hearing protection, and it is a lot quieter than a full power, unsuppressed .44 mag!

TheShootist1894

Blackhawk
I dream of building a Ruger 77/44 much like your Contender setup, as now Ohio is allowing us to hunt deer with straight walled cartridge rifles and suppressors .

Appreciate you keeping me in mind on that 16" barrel, Thanks!

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Don't have any 16in bbls, mostly 10in , and my .45-70 is thé 12in w/ factory muzzle break.

The litmis test for Contenders ( and such things generally) is to be able to think of them as their own third catagory , not a rifle , yet not a belt gun.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I agree they are a "neither or", and I've always thought they filled a necessary segment of the firearms world. I've seen and handled a 12" .45/70, but for some reason didn't shoot it. That .454 is very interesting - and I've never really had a "yen" for a Casull. Seems I heard they were also chambering for .480 Ruger?

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I agree they are a "neither or", and I've always thought they filled a necessary segment of the firearms world. I've seen and handled a 12" .45/70, but for some reason didn't shoot it. That .454 is very interesting - and I've never really had a "yen" for a Casull. Seems I heard they were also chambering for .480 Ruger?

mikewriter

Blackhawk

This is my suppressed .44 Contender. I have friends who run a hog hunting operation in Seguin, Texas who use Ruger 77/44's with integrally suppressed barrels. They shoot 300gr Hornady XTP's at subsonic velocity and report they sound about like a pellet gun. Kill LOTS of hogs with them. Like my gun, 75 yards is about maximum effective range.

TheShootist1894

Blackhawk
Purpose built, that is a thing of beauty, just a different kind of beauty, did Johns guns do that for you or? thanks for sharing!

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I pretty much put it together myself. The suppressor was built by Longview Class III Arms, in Longview, Texas. I put the cheekpiece on the stock, will have to look it up to see who I got it from, but I also have one on the stock with my .45/.410. Stock is a cheap plastic one, but works well. Camo is Krylon and camo duct tape. I was sitting in a tripod stand one evening, trying to get one of the first suppressed deer kills after texas made that legal, and even though the titanium suppressor was not really reflective, I wondered if it would be better covered up? Just as duct tape had a myriad of uses, I find camo duct tape comes in very handy, also! cope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 in 3x9. The cocking lever extension came from Belim, kept coming loose so I put a hose clamp on it. Also have a hammer extension from Belim. From sling attachment I made from an old scope ring and an eye off an old outrigger from my boat. Plenty accurate with those big bullets to 75 yards, and I've also shot a big sow with a 300gr Barnes "Buster" that worked well.

Heavy little gun, though.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I got hooked on the Contenders back in the stone age. (Actually, it was in the early 70's when I fired my first one, and soon after bought my first one.)
I agree they should be considered a "third" category of gun, as they are unique.
That said, I have taken over 100 whitetails with one, as well as a lot of other game. Accurate, easy to shoot, and versatile. Plus, to change calibers isn't as expensive as buying a whole new gun. Many of my barrels are 10" & 14". Only a few are longer.
Hard to beat a Contender.

Had several Contenders back in the day and liked the look and feel of the older models but not the function of the actions, which seemed kinda complex for a hunting single shot. Finally got rid of both the carbine and the pistol, but kept the 21" carbine .410 barrel for some reason.

When the G2 came out, I had just the opposite reaction: hated the look and loved the function. So I got a G2 carbine and it's been one of my favorite firearms since. I have the original .410 barrel, a 16 3/4" custom .22 WRM barrel, a 24" 28 guage barrel, and a custom fluted 24" .25-35 barrel. Mostly I carry the .22 WRM barrel and scope tucked in my backpack and the .410 barrel on the gun with an AWESOME 3" magnum #6 shotshell in it for snake/cottontail/grouse duty. (Haven't figured what the 28 guage barrel is good for yet).

The .22 Magnum barrel goes on when I spot new coyote sign or find a ground squirrel colony.

Those Super 16s are nifty!

mikewriter

Blackhawk

The only handgun Contender I have left - my son says I have to keep this one. It's an AA plated frame and 14" .30-30 barrel, with nice wood.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Top of my list to check out every one of them I find in pawn shops and LGS and gun shows. I had a Super 14 41 Mag, a 10" 45 Winchester Magnum, a 10" 223 and Owens inserts that I shot 22LR & 22 Mag pretty accurately out of.
I have not owned one for over 20 yrs but sure would love to have a kit of old frame Contender, muzzloader barrel and super 16 Bullberry barrel in 35 Remington. A setup I have seen slam wild hogs before. Maybe another 223 barrel or a 6mm TCU, I used to shoot a friend's 14 in that at IHMSA matches, nice round

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I had a .223 barrel and a 44 mag in the set with the .30-30 , but sold both of them. At one time had a Bullberry 6mm/.223 with dies, but let that one go, also, think it was a 16", but might have been a longer carbine barrel. Fun guns, very versatile.

My switch hitter gun right now is an old Mossberg pump 12gauge. Have a slug barrel I never use anymore, and a .50 muzzle loader barrel. The ML is interesting, uses the pump action to open the action for placing or removing primers, has a new magazine cap that converts that (now) unused space to hold the ramrod. Not as easy to operate as a break-open gun, but pretty accurate.