Blued vs. stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
Already have four stainless revolvers. Just love the looks and durability. But...have always liked the more rugged, "stealthier" look of blued models too. I have a chance to pick up a like new blued .44 Super Blackhawk 5.5". Anyone have one? Opinions? Pics? Pics? Pics? Thanks :D

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I have several of both blued and stainless Rugers. I like both but am getting a bit concerned that all the new models coming out are stainless. For instance I would love to see blued Redhawks make a return.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have both. Dont be afraid of blue, I've yet to have one rust on me. There is just something soulful about blued guns. Stainless seems sterile, but has it's advantages. I prefer a brushed stainless over shiny.

MaxP

Buckeye
s4s4u said:
I have both. Dont be afraid of blue, I've yet to have one rust on me. There is just something soulful about blued guns. Stainless seems sterile, but has it's advantages. I prefer a brushed stainless over shiny.

What he said!

pisgah

Buckeye
Unless you carry a gun extensively in an extremely corrosive environment or have an obsessive loathing of eventual visible finish wear, there's absolutely no reason to shy away from blued guns. All of my current revolvers are blued, all are but one 25+ years old ( and one is 99 years old!), and all work as well and look just as good as anyone else's stainless guns of equal age and experience.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Nothings prettier than blued steel and walnut in my opinion...and by far the majority of short guns I've owned over the past 50+ years have been just that sort...but for day in day out, night in night out, canoe or back-pack use it's very hard to beat a good SS revolver. Here's a pic of one of mine that's not too ugly, eh? And, as a bonus, it's in that king of calibers, the .44 Special!!! The rest are blued with my own home-made grips on 'em. And I'd opine that wood, most any wood, makes any revolver better lookin'. Even old poplar fence wood like that last N. Vaquero.

Best Regards, and YMMV, Rod

Rclark

Hunter
I liked blued. In my opinion, stainless just seems 'unfinished' ... You know they forgot to put the finishing touch on the revolver at the factory :) . That said I do own a few stainless, but really prefer blued. A little honest wear sure doesn't hurt anything. A matte finish on a stainless is better than 'bright' bling mirror like SS finish IMHO. Of course this is all personal preference as both types will last lifetimes. Glad we have choices!

My goto .45 Colt revolver.

RugerFTBlackHawk_2_zps9to196fb.jpg

Ying and Yang .45s...

Ruger45ConvertiblesNewGrips_zpst0yrwuqg.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I prefer blue, sometimes with a little SS contrast. but do have a few stainless when there was no other choice.

1983 vintage NM 357 large frame converted to 38-40 I just picked up for the right price. A simple conversion, not by one of 'the famous' and no frills, but it's a great shooter.

orig.jpg

New Model FT 44 Spl with Montado SS GF and hammer and tuned.
orig.jpg

Hawkeye with added Ruger Black Powder Old Army stainless steel grip frame fitted and polished to my # 2516:
large.jpg

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
Holy smoke! Those are some purdy revolvers! :eek: :wink: Thanks for the the pictures and feedback!

MaxP

Buckeye
I've had these two revolvers built to mirror each other. The builds are very similar, however the calibers differ. The stainless gun is a .45 Colt, the blued gun is a .44 Magnum. I like both finishes, but have a soft spot for bluing.....

DSC_0118.jpg

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Quickdraw said:
... have always liked the more rugged, "stealthier" look of blued models too... a chance to pick up a like new blued .44 Super Blackhawk 5.5".

Blue certainly looks "stealthier" than stainless, which can matter plenty in sunlight, or any other light. I always preferred blued in a tracking revolver. Rain and snow are slow to attack polished blue in the cool North Country. However, southern heat & humidity turn on the metal termites, and blue must be kept after with a silicone cloth or moisture-resisting oil, wax, or even paint. Basically, it is my habit to treat carbon and stainless the same. Nevertheless, stainless resists corrosion far better. Since I learned the trail in the AGE of BLUE, I have no inhibition against carrying the carbon steel revolver against adversity.

Today it probably costs more to manufacture a blued revolver, leastwise property polished blue revolver, what with the chemistry and passivation. On the beloved track of a deer, a dedicated awareness of exposure abides of the stainless sixgun. Polished nickel and polished stainless inevitably keep the sixgun holstered through moments a blued or even brushed stainless revolver lay in hand. (A holster for tracking deer has to be fast, that's all there is to it.)

Seems curiosity answers your question. Fetch home the blued sixgun, then lavish it with ammunition & trigger time.
David Bradshaw

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
"Seems curiosity answers your question. Fetch home the blued sixgun, then lavish it with ammunition & trigger time." David Bradshaw
That's the plan David! Thanks :mrgreen:

z1r

Single-Sixer
Quickdraw said:
Already have four stainless revolvers. Just love the looks and durability. But...have always liked the more rugged, "stealthier" look of blued models too. I have a chance to pick up a like new blued .44 Super Blackhawk 5.5". Anyone have one? Opinions? Pics? Pics? Pics? Thanks :D

I have had two, love them. The first one I got when Ruger first came out with the model. Loved the round trigger guard and shorter length. Have carried it pig hunting in the rain, looks no worse than my SS guns.

My first was a tack driver, shot itty bitty groups. The second not quite so but still very accurate. I thought it was a bit heavy on the hip so I got a SS flat top in 44 spl. Doesn't weigh much less than the SBH. But is smaller.

Honestly can't think of a better do everything kind of revolver that the 5.5" SBH.

don44

Hunter
MaxP said:
I've had these two revolvers built to mirror each other. The builds are very similar, however the calibers differ. The stainless gun is a .45 Colt, the blued gun is a .44 Magnum. I like both finishes, but have a soft spot for bluing.....

DSC_0118.jpg

Beautiful revolvers!

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
Share and ahare alike! :wink: The Redhawk .44 is ready for hunting! I will add a pic of the Blackhawk when she arrives! :wink:
0QbWcVul.jpg

5of7

Hunter
If a gun is of modern design and chambered for a 20th century cartridge, I prefer stainless.

If is is of a 19th century design and chambered for a 19th century cartridge, I prefer blue.

I'm funny that way. The thoughts of a Vaquero, for example, chambered in .357 Mg. is a turn-off for me. 8)

Latest posts