Electronic speed controls on woodworking machines in garage?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
So a wood turning lathe I proudly bought after saving money and selling sculptures in the late 90's and very early 2000's ( A 2000 model Canadian General 160-2) is now "old school". Mine uses a Reeves-style drive, mechanical variable speed control, which was a popular variable speed control method using adjustable halves of pulleys moved in and out with a crank while running. It has limits in versatility. The slowest speed it has is 500RPM and the fastest is 3500RPM. This was par for the course for decades.
Come forward into the mid teens, and most everyone has moved to electronic variable speed controls and Variable Frequency Drives to give a turner speeds from zero (or 50 RPM) upward to several thousand RPM. Fast to change and wonderful for the ability to turn large bowls starting slowly, they are also rather quiet. My old Reeves drive is loud. It helps that I have a lot of hearing loss I suppose in this case.
I'm also told that replacement parts for Reeves drives are getting very hard to find new and that forward-thinking owners are buying replacement parts now while the secondary market is still alive. Hmm. Crud. I guess I outfoxed myself thinking I was buying a machine that was going to stay current.
So here's my question and concern. If and when I ever must buy a new machine, because of availability it will likely be an electronic variable speed control version. But my little shop is un-heated and un-cooled. It's a freestanding, insulated concrete floor vinyl sided one car garage.
What's the long-term viability of some electronic speed controlled stationary piece of equipment in swings of heat and cold, and humidity as we have here in the South?
Maybe some of you folks out there have experience in these sorts of things I can consider. Heck. Maybe I need to just plan for turning my lathe into a jackshaft pulley system speed control the likes of which did fine for my grandparents. Hey! My Reeves drive is EMP damage proof, if that's an advantage (sarcasm).
Don

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Most of my woodworking equipment is either Jet or Powermatic. I do have one old Delta table saw and one of my bandsaws is a Rikon.
I have a Jet lathe with the electronic speed control. I have had it for about ten years now and haven't had any problems with it.
My shop has a concrete floor and steel siding.
We don't have the bad winters here like other states do , but it does get hot and during the monsoon season we have high humidity for a couple months.
I don't think the weather effects my equipment at all.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Here in Southern KY we can have week long stretches of upper 90's temps and humidity in the upper 80 percent to mid 90's percent. "Two shower" days often. Moisture condenses on cool cast iron surfaces mid morning.Temp swings too of 30 degrees or more many days. I have always been told that sensitive electronics need a more controlled environment to function well. That's my concern of course because electronic control boards are expensive, according to my appliance repair friend. He has told me that he hates newer appliances for himself because of the electronics. But loves them for the income they offer him doing repairs for others....
Don

TRJeff

Bearcat
Keep any cooling passages on drive clean so unit can keep itself cool, should give you long service

CoolLogic

Bearcat
I've been dealing with VFD's for several years in HVAC equipment. Typically installed in hot mechanical rooms or the unconditioned part of a roof top unit. Afternoon heat inside a steel box then cool morning dew 12 hours later. All of the quality ones last several years.
As for the noise, the VFD slows the motor speed so less noise. Your lathe runs the motor full speed and adjust lathe speed by moving pulleys.

Latest posts