Engraved old model 44 Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I came across an interesting 44 Magnum Flattop Blackhawk that I desperately need information on. Here are the particulars:

Condition is a solid 98%

The frame, ejector rod housing, and cylinder are all case hardened.

The frame, cylinder, and barrel are all finely and beautifully engraved.

I forgot to notice the barrel length, I think 6.5", but could be 7.5"

The grips are varnished Walnut with no eagle emblem.

SN is 2010

On the grip frame top strap, is engraved with "R. R. Burke".

I can purchase for $1000, maybe less.

What do you guys think??? :? Thanks! :)

Dave :)

I agree with Ty, may indeed be THAT Ron Burke ( would have to go and dig out his book to find out his middle initial)....ANYWAY,
for that price you could NOT buy a 4 digit old flatop, let alone get all of that work done , would put the price ,darn near double........sounds good to us, besides it would be great "trade bait (table fodder) for down the road...go for it

J Miller

Blackhawk
Heliman":drmhfji5 said:
I came across an interesting 44 Magnum Flattop Blackhawk that I desperately need information on. Here are the particulars:

Condition is a solid 98%

The frame, ejector rod housing, and cylinder are all case hardened.

The frame, cylinder, and barrel are all finely and beautifully engraved.

I forgot to notice the barrel length, I think 6.5", but could be 7.5"

The grips are varnished Walnut with no eagle emblem.

SN is 2010

On the grip frame top strap, is engraved with "R. R. Burke".

I can purchase for $1000, maybe less.

What do you guys think??? :? Thanks! :)

The CYLINDER is case hardened????? That don't sound too good.

Joe

flatgate":1p5iuc4d said:
I'm with Joe. A case hardened Ruger cylinder would likely be very dangerous if fired.

Ka-Boom!

flatgate

I went back to look at the revolver in question. The cylinder is indeed case hardened or appears to be. When I mentioned the concern about the cylinder, I was kindly informed that hundreds of rounds had been fired through it with no ill result. I also looked for an engravers mark or name and was un successful.

I guess I will pass on it and bow to the wisdom of the knowledgeable experts here. Thanks for your insight! :)

Dave

flatgate

Hawkeye
Heliman":fn9udml8 said:
I went back to look at the revolver in question. The cylinder is indeed case hardened or appears to be.
Dave

The key may lie in the "appears to be". It may be a "finish" and not an attack on the metallurgical properties of the cylinder's steel.

JMHO,

flatgate

flatgate":aapzo4l1 said:
Heliman":aapzo4l1 said:
I went back to look at the revolver in question. The cylinder is indeed case hardened or appears to be.
Dave

The key may lie in the "appears to be". It may be a "finish" and not an attack on the metallurgical properties of the cylinder's steel.

JMHO,

flatgate

You don't suppose he would let me take the cylinder and do a Rockwell hardness test on it? :roll: I imagine not... For me it is not worth the gamble or the financial risk.......... :?

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
I can save rugerguy some legwork. Ronnie Burke's book doesn't have a middle initial anywhere nor is it on his business card. Just FYI :)

DHENRY

Bearcat
Flatgate's indeed correct in his analysis of the case hardening on the cylinder.
A Rockwell test would probably verify that case-coloring only affects a very small amount of surface.
Don :wink:

Hutt":2kn3yguc said:
I have handled this gun. Heliman forgot to mention that the cylider is unfluted.

That is true! What was your over all impression? After my second peek, I lost interest. I was still curious, as you mentioned, about the non-fluted cylinder. Do you think it was case colored or hardened? The "help" at the shop were a little indignant at some of my comments and questions. So, it is off my radar. Would rather have an unmodified example anyway. :)

Dave :wink:

Hutt

Bearcat
I thought that the engraving and final finish was well thought out and expertly executed, providing an (in my opinion) a exceptionally tastefull example of craftsmanship. The gun had at one time been converted but the original parts were included with the sale as was the letter dated 1983 from Ruger to the original owner (Burke) stateing so. That being said I think one would be hard pressed to duplicate this gun with all this work done to it and the fine condition it is in for the price of $1K . I also think that this gun even without good provinance would be consideraly worth more than a "shooter" grade price tag some might hang on it.