I need some help with identification- 1963 Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently purchased a 1963 Single Six on GB. No box or paperwork, but the price was cheap…well, the day after I won the auction I sent off for the Letter of Authenticity. The gun arrived and as I documented in another thread, I'm thinking it has been reblued because the finish is too nice- and there's absolutely no turn line. I was excited to get the Letter, as this gun was built in 1963, the year my wife was born. Well… I got an envelope from Ruger today. Not one of the big ones, but a business envelope. Inside was my check and a letter that informed me that Ruger had no records of when it was manufactured or shipped. What!?!

IMG_7765.jpeg

So…does anyone have a gun close up and/or down to the serial number- 366710 so that I could get a close guesstimate on when it was manufactured.

If I can tie it down to the month of my wife's birthday, that would be cool. If not…well…does the inability to get a Letter affect the desirability? I want to "trick out" an old 3 Screw Single Six. Being that it might be refinished and there is no Letter, what are your overall feelings on "making this one my own".

I'm not a "collector", really I'm more of an accumulator. I appreciate nice stuff and have no intentions of ever selling any of my Rugers, but I don't want to modify a gun with meaning. So…if you have any clue on dates, or any words of wisdom- please let me know.
IMG_7745.jpeg

IMG_7744.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, it MAY be that the records Ruger is referencing to are part of the records that were damaged in a flood long ago. Hence, the lack of correct info, and details.

The only detail I can attest to, comes from the RENE Guide,, and it only gives the year, 1963 which you already know.
But, by the pictures & info we DO know,, 1963 is known as the "transition" year. Guns were getting a few changes,, and one of which was the grip frame,, from an XR3 to an XR3-RED. Your gun has the XR3-RED g/f.
Is the ERH steel or aluminum? (Most likely aluminum.)
Did you get a spare cylinder in .22 Mag?
Check the face of the cylinder. Does it have the last 3 digits of the serial number "scratched" into it? (They used an electric pencil for this.)

In general,, by the appearances of the gun above,, it appears to be a Type 3 Transition version.

Ok, it MAY be that the records Ruger is referencing to are part of the records that were damaged in a flood long ago. Hence, the lack of correct info, and details.

The only detail I can attest to, comes from the RENE Guide,, and it only gives the year, 1963 which you already know.
The revolver only came with the .22LR cylinder, and the last 3 digits are marked on the face of the cylinder. So I would guess it is a convertible model. The ERH is aluminum, and the grip frame is the XR3-RED style. Overall it's in great shape, which again leads me to believe it has been refinished.

I decided that since Linda at the Ruger Records Department was kind enough to provide me with a contact number, I would give her a call. She told me that back in '63 all the records were handwritten and that evidentially someone hadn't done their job, as there was no line entry for my particular revolver. Not a flood loss issue. I asked how common this "missing entry" was, and she said that she has seen a few over the years, but not many. I asked her if she could possibly look at the line sheet and give me an approximate production month from the serials that were before and after mine. She informed me that back then Ruger did not produce firearms in a strict numerical order, but from what she could see it looks like this one was produced in June or July of 1963. I really appreciate her willingness to go the extra mile to check for me.

So, I guess I'll call this "Case Closed". I'll keep the "lack of a letter" letter in my records binder. I'm thinking that this is an amusing and uncommon situation, and someone with a vivid imagination could have all sorts of fun with this. I'll keep this one in as-built condition and find another to customize.

hittman

Staff member
Thank you. Gets me closer to what I want to know.
Just remember, it's very possible all guns were not made in strict numerical order or shipped immediately after manufacture. I've got a GP100 shipped 12 YEARS after it was made.

And there's surely a bigger back story as to why Ruger claims to have no record of yours.

Just remember, it's very possible all guns were not made in strict numerical order or shipped immediately after manufacture. I've got a GP100 shipped 12 YEARS after it was made.

And there's surely a bigger back story as to why Ruger claims to have no record of yours.
I would love to know the back story. But I never will. I was just happy Linda was willing to look up adjacent serial numbers to get an approximate date of manufacture.

"I'm thinking it has been reblued because the finish is too nice- and there's absolutely no turn line."

Let me add this and not to offend. Just because a gun finish looks nice doesn't mean it as been reblued. My Old Models do not have turn lines on them by me.
I along with several on this form have Rugers much nicer than that one and they have not been reblued. Yes that one looks like it has been over polished and reblued. It is a nice Single-Six enjoy it :)
Several years ago I sent a beater old model 357 Blackhawk back to Ruger to be reblued. It came back looking like new and most people would not have known it had been reblued. Cost was $35.00

Here is a nice shooter that has not been reblued.
1690636119759.png

1690636063959.png

Notice no turn lines and a couple Grandson used in SASS competition
1690636965380.png

Attachments

• 1690636574120.png
    1690636574120.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
"I'm thinking it has been reblued because the finish is too nice- and there's absolutely no turn line."

Let me add this and not to offend. Just because a gun finish looks nice doesn't mean it as been reblued. My Old Models do not have turn lines on them by me.
I along with several on this form have Rugers much nicer than that one and they have not been reblued. Yes that one looks like it has been over polished and reblued. It is a nice Single-Six enjoy it :)
Several years ago I sent a beater old model 357 Blackhawk back to Ruger to be reblued. It came back looking like new and most people would not have known it had been reblued. Cost was $35.00

Here is a nice shooter that has not been reblued.
View attachment 26258
View attachment 26257

Notice no turn lines and a couple Grandson used in SASS competition
.View attachment 26263
No offense taken. I appreciate straight talk. I'm someone whom my wife says talks "agressively". No, not intended that way, honey- I just call'em as I see 'em.

I fully understand the possibility that there should be no turn line on a well handled and well used gun. The .44 Super I bought from WMG is an example- I know it's well used but it's been treated proper.
image.jpg

Unfortunately every Single Six I own, even the beautiful plum one, has a turn line. Except this one.

So the question I now pose is this:

I want to modify one of these OM Single Sixes to be my companion gun. It will be in a holster on my side while on the property, walking the dog, etc. I have other hardware that I use for CHL, this one will be for just daily stuff. I have an OM Super Dragoon grip frame coming, a set of Wolff springs, and a set of grip panels waiting to be fit at Chig's. I still need a wide trigger and a magnum cylinder. So...would this be a good one to use as a starting point? Since it's already been reblued and there's no "Letter" available, should I modify this one, or does the interesting "Letter " situation make it one that I should keep as-is.

Thanks, Jim! You are correct- I'm not doing anything that can't be undone. I've resigned myself to the fact that that the trigger will be spendy.

Beautiful Supers!

You mentioned in your prior post that you had Ruger reblue a .357. I also had Ruger reblue a NM .357, and they did a beautiful job. It was done under warranty as part of a "canted front sight/burrs on the cylinder window corners" issue. It too looks like new and you can't tell. And it was free!

Well, this is all coming together. In addition to the OMSBH grip frame, another member here referred me to an EBay seller where I was able to get the trigger I needed at a great price. And another member here is selling me a Magnum cylinder that is a hair oversize so it will fit. I love it when an idea comes to fruition!

Well, at least part of the equation showed up. A couple of new Old Army triggers. I was thinking these would actually be nicer on the Single Six than the grooved triggers. Now I need to either find another OM Super frame or bite the bullet and order an aluminum one from RW Gripframes. The aluminum would be nice and light…but the $300 isn't in the budget right now. I already have a nice set of blanks waiting at Chig's for whenever this happens…

Mag cylinder is fit. The dimensions were just a hair long at the gas ring, so I took that hair off and it fits great. Checked timing- spot on. Dropped my 7/32 gauge rod down on each cylinder bore and there was no hangup. Proof will be in the firing- but I'm thinking it will be good.
IMG_7825.jpeg

I'm thinking I might try and build a trigger spring adapter and use a Super Hunter grip frame.

Last edited:

Latest posts