Long barrel revolvers.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
Found this on an old Bonhams auction. They don't give much info on it. Any chance this is factory? Who does custom barrel lengths?
4DFE8AC7-33FE-40DC-B8C9-37CDA6AAE250.jpeg
20241114-A7D7-46AD-A1E0-1CFE642A0043.jpeg

I've seen similar revolvers on the forums, before.

I seem to recall that the long barrels are EU- or UK-spec., or similar. Not sure about the caliber. That think must weigh about ten pounds, with the smaller bore(?)!

A quick search pulled up the link below (w/some familiar names!). I'm sure some more work on "the Google" will yield some results for you. Happy digging!

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
There are some UK laws about handguns having a barrel too short. I do know that Ruger did do some longer barreled Redhawks & Super Redhawks. But I don't think they had any with barrels that long.

I'd definitely say a factory letter would be required on that one.

contender

Ruger Guru
:D "Currently in the US it is rare to see a .357 with a barrel longer than 6" " :D

Uhh,, you'd better get out your tape measure.

Ruger Blackhawks in .357 come with a 6-1/2" bbl. Not rare! :D Then there are a few models of the S&W .357's with 8-3/8" barrels. Throw in the Dan Wesson's with 8" barrels,, ! :D Lot more .357's with barrels longer than 6" for sure. :D

And the Ruger Redhawks came with a 7-1/2" in .357. Those are a bit more rare.

48flyer

Single-Sixer
Versions of the Super Redhawk with 20-inch barrels were produced for the UK market with serial numbers in the 551-5xxxx and 551-7xxxx range.

Model numbers were KSRH-21-357 (.357 Magnum) and KSRH-21 (.44 Magnum). 200 were made in total evenly split between .357 and .44 for the importers.

The vast majority had their length cut down for competition shooting and only a small handful remain in the original long barrelled version.
In order to keep them legal at 24 inches minimum length, many were cut to 12 inch barrels and then a rod added to the rear of the grip frame.
210818123718002-1.jpg

instructor

Single-Sixer
Some years ago noticed a new Ruger Super Blackhawk in LGS and did buy it. It has a 10.5" barrel and in 44 Magnum caliber. It is nose heavy so to speak, but in either 44 Manum or 44 Special it is amazingly accurate. I reload for both rounds plus factory rounds as well and the gun shoots both equally well. Bought a Ruger holster for it but can't imagine carrying it for it is a bit awkward to pull out the gun and curious if there is a so called "chest holster" for this handgun?? Some complain about the squared off Walker trigger guard, and it strikes their finger on shooting but took a piece of fuzzy Velcro on the flat side and problem solved. Even with stout reloads the pistol is easy to shoot with no hammering of the fingers. Fit and finish on the gun is very nice indeed and six rounds at 25 yards is one hole and at 50 yards just a bit larger with the open sights from a rest. I have other revolvers but this one has turned out to be my favorite one.

eveled

Hawkeye
:D "Currently in the US it is rare to see a .357 with a barrel longer than 6" " :D

Uhh,, you'd better get out your tape measure.

Ruger Blackhawks in .357 come with a 6-1/2" bbl. Not rare! :D Then there are a few models of the S&W .357's with 8-3/8" barrels. Throw in the Dan Wesson's with 8" barrels,, ! :D Lot more .357's with barrels longer than 6" for sure. :D

And the Ruger Redhawks came with a 7-1/2" in .357. Those are a bit more rare.

Thanks Contender.

I forgot to qualify my statement. I was speaking of current production double action .357's.

My friend wants an 8" double action .357 trying to help him find one. Neither Ruger or S&W make one right now.

Longest Redhawk currently listed is 5.5"

Longest GP 100 6"

Longest S&W 686 7"

Strangely there are longer barrels offered on the same frame sizes in different calibers.

I forgot about the Dan Wesson 8" guns. They are not an option here. (Mass)

Then Taurus has a 12" .357! Also not an option.

He's looking for used model 27 and 28 with 8" barrel. They don't pop up often.

It seems in the old days they had a revolver model then you had an option 2" 4" 5" 6" 8" maybe even 10".

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
Yep. Wikipedia says less than 100 model 28's with 8-3/8" barrels. So that's basically none. I doubt he could afford one if he found it. 😂

I was also surprised there were no 8" security sixes.

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
I'm trying to convince him on the 686plus at 7" it's pretty close. Its a nice gun. I've never had or wanted over 4" barrel on a .357 most of mine are snubs.

Looking forward to shooting whatever he ends up with. He also wants a Mauser Red 9! I'm really hoping he finds one of those. So I can shoot it!

contender

Ruger Guru
If he's dead set on a barrel 8" or longer,, his options are basically the used market,, and he can expect to pay a bit.
Ruger didn't go over 6" in their DA line EXCEPT for the early Redhawk. (7-1/2") and those too are harder to find & expensive. But if you do find one,, he'd have a tank of a .357.

The S&W line is probably the one with the largest production of guns with a longer barrel.

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks. That pretty much sums it up.

He says the 686 is too shiny. Lol.

Everyone has their preferences. He'll either find a used one or find something else to chase.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

eveled

Hawkeye
FOUND!

He ended up finding a Dan Wesson last week. 4" and 10" barrels. He is very happy.

Attach0.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts