Me and revolvers......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The only trouble with those shooter's wheels is the fact that there is the assumption that the shooter is doing something wrong. It never takes into consideration that the gun's sights are off. And they frequently are.

Bob Wright

Mus408

Hunter
What's the best way to check the front sight blade? This is a Uberti/Colt six shooter with fixed sights.
I guess I could set it up in my mill and indicate off of the barrel/bore centerline.
To square up the frame I could remove the cylinder and try to setup off of the bottom of the top strap?
Need to see if the front sight is in line with the rear sight groove.

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
Bob Wright said:
The only trouble with those shooter's wheels is the fact that there is the assumption that the shooter is doing something wrong. It never takes into consideration that the gun's sights are off. And they frequently are.

Bob Wright

Bingo. I've lost track of the fixed sight Rugers I've had to regulate over the years.

Another favorite bit of 'expert advice' is to post a 'Shooter Error Correction Chart'. These are useful in diagnosing problems with one-hand, precision shooting at 25 and 50 yards; but in my experience they are irrelevant for two-hand shooting at any distance. And of course, we don't have a clue if the subject pistol is zeroed- or the errant shooter is using a proper sight picture, grip or trigger technique.

But nobody wants to hear that. Today, shooters want a graph, chart or webpage to solve all their marksmanship deficiencies in 5 seconds or less. So in keeping with the times, I offer the following:

RealityTgt-1-1.jpg

GMan351

Single-Sixer
The best way to check the sight (and easiest) is to let other people shoot it. If everyone shoots in the same area, with different ammo selections, then start looking at sight verification/adjustment. A person should shoot it a LOT before making adjustments, unless they are very proficient with SA revolvers.