Recommend me a good red dot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
This will be for my MK III Competition.
What are you all using for a red dot or reflex sight?
Right now I have the wiegand picatinny with a cheap Center Point 1x25, 3 moa dot.
My main criteria would be crisp dot, not fuzzy.
Prefer a 3 MOA dot, no bigger than 4 MOA.

FastFire 3 is a good choice. Actually, lots of 'good choices' on the market these days. Find a retailer where you can look through the various offerings and get a better idea of how the controls work and compare weights/features. You don't have to spend over $200-300 to get a good dot optic anymore but if you're using for bullseye shooting, a crisp dot is more important.
I'm using a cheap (under $40) green dot on my trapline pistol. It gets a lot of abuse and mistreatment but holds zero fine--downside is the 'fuzz' around the dot.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I have a FF3 on my Deerstalker .44 mag. It works as designed and gets the job done at 100y. Hope to take it deer hunting upstate NY or NH soon enough.

contender

Ruger Guru
I can't argue with the choice mentioned above,, the Burris FF III is a top quality & well used, respected & PROVEN good red dot. I have 3 myself,, along with several others. I put it in the top level.

Oh,, as for the fuzz or such around a dot,, often it's NOT the dot but aging eyes. My astigmatism causes a bit of fuzzy looking dots, no matter the type.

YES INDEED!! I used to wear contact lenses that did NOT correct for astigmatism; when I bought my first red dot for a 9mm carbine, the dot looked fuzzy & I initially blamed the optic. But when I put on some prescription reading glasses that also corrected for astigmatism, the same red dot became sharp & clear! A lot of folks never think about their own imperfect vision, and continue to blame the hardware.

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

I have this sight on a Glock 19, best pistol mounted reddot I've tried and yes it does come in red but the green is better ,,, here is a copied review from the web site >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OUTSTANDING OPTIC" AT THIS PRICE POINT!

by Nevadasun -

I'm going to give this optic FIVE STARS. It was truly difficult to find an optic that would meet my criteria. Then came the Holosun HE507c-GR-X2.
I can see green better than red and I prefer a chevron over a dot. With the chevron I have a precise aiming point, I like that much better.
Once at the range, I found the optic to be extremely easy to sight-in. On a sandbag, I checked point of impact at 15yds with five rounds. I adjusted twelve clicks to the right and three up, DONE. I expect many years of use from this quality product.

Burris FastFire for reflex, and UltraDot for tube style. 👍

Both have been around for years (UltraDot for decades…), enjoy very good reputations as quality sights, and are not terribly expensive.

If you're considering a tube-style sight, you might want to read this except from https://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm :
On a positive note, in this game of bullseye shooting, I have seen more military shooters over the past 15 years at all of the big matches using the basic UltraDot model than any other sight - and without question, these guys are truly the pros of the sport.

contender

Ruger Guru
My original response was about the reflex types of red dot optics. But Uncle Howie has reminded me of the simple fact of UltraDot. They too are excellent. Their tube type red dots are also top of the line. Many who use a red dot for serious recoiling handguns in hunting,, prefer them as well. I have several UltraDot's to go with my others.

This will be for my MK III Competition.
What are you all using for a red dot or reflex sight?
Right now I have the wiegand picatinny with a cheap Center Point 1x25, 3 moa dot.
My main criteria would be crisp dot, not fuzzy.
Prefer a 3 MOA dot, no bigger than 4 MOA.

I have this sight on a Glock 19, best pistol mounted reddot I've tried and yes it does come in red but the green is better ,,, here is a copied review from the web site >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OUTSTANDING OPTIC" AT THIS PRICE POINT!

by Nevadasun -

I'm going to give this optic FIVE STARS. It was truly difficult to find an optic that would meet my criteria. Then came the Holosun HE507c-GR-X2.
I can see green better than red and I prefer a chevron over a dot. With the chevron I have a precise aiming point, I like that much better.
Once at the range, I found the optic to be extremely easy to sight-in. On a sandbag, I checked point of impact at 15yds with five rounds. I adjusted twelve clicks to the right and three up, DONE. I expect many years of use from this quality product.

Don't have the compact version but I do have the full size titanium Holosun HE508T-GR green version on my Mark IV. Has lots of options.

7B5D7108-158B-4804-8669-A3BF97BA8919.jpeg

BE74337D-FAE4-4879-9C30-778C903AF9A2.jpeg

carbonfibrebob

Single-Sixer
How 'bout a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro 2.5 MOA Dot. I have a new unused one I am just about to list in the classifieds

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Well,
I found what should have been a great deal from PSA for a Vortex Venom.
Received it today only to find out it does not work.
The on button which controls the brightness and the auto brightness does nothing.
No brightness control, it is stuck at one setting.
No auto control, does not work.
Will not turn it on.
Only the off button works to turn it on and off.
The dot is not round either, it has a tail at 5:00
Also almost impossible to get the battery cover on.
Will call PSA tomorrow.

Well, not having this specific model in front of me, I can't address those problems(?).
I can say that if auto brightness is selected, the only way the brightness will change is if/when external light changes (brighter or darker).

Hylander

Single-Sixer
The dot is not round either, it has a tail at 5:00 >>>>> that could be YOUR eyes and not the Dot

Red Dots & Astigmatism:

I do have some astigmatism.
However, I just got new glasses.
The one I looked through at Sportsman's had a very nice round dot, that was the main reason for choosing the Venom.
I have two other inexpensive red dots and both have nice round dots.
Anyway, the thing does not work, so calling PSA this morning.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Just mailed it back to PSA.
They are refunding me. I asked if I could just get a replacement, but the said refund only since it is not their brand. Was going to reorder but it was an Easter sale, so the price is higher now.
I may order an Ultradot Match Dot.