Single Six Convertible 7.5" NM...good price?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

firefiterjohn

Bearcat
I currently do not own a Single Six and have always looked at getting for an OM 3-screw model for my first one.
I saw a very clean Single Six Convertible 7.5" barrel at my LGS. It's S/N is 268-186nn which I looked up as made in 2000. It has the original plastic box, both cylinders, all the paperwork, even has the plastic bag the pistol came in inside the box. It has the blade front sight, trench rear sight; looks like a Vaquero style. There are no scratches or blemishes anywhere, stocks are wood and perfect with silver "neck feathers" medallion, and barely a start of a cylinder turn line on either cylinder. It came in as part of an estate sale and the OTD price was only $475.

I've looked on GB and most of the NM Single Sixes offered and sold have the ramp front sight with adjustable rear sight. I have seen only a few that are Vaquero style but none in the 7.5" barrel. Most are priced at least a couple of hundred over this asking price and aren't as near as nice condition when zooming in to look at all the detailed pictures.. The LGS owner said this one is not very common and looks like it was fired very little. They are holding it for me until I decide.

What are your thoughts? I know...I hesitated and missed out on that 10/22 Reaper Buck Camo model. After typing this thread, I think I already KNOW my answer! Think I'm gonna snag this one as my FIRST Single Six even though it's a NM but super sharp!

firefiterjohn

Bearcat
Uhhh,, SNAG that gun!
That model is kinda hard to find & considered scarce if my memory of the NM's is correct. At that price,, it's a good deal even if it's not scarce!
Thanks Contender. I didn't quite understand when the owner told me that he rarely sees any Single Six NMs come into the store with the Vaquero style sights. So, when i did some searching last night on GB and a few other sites; he was right!

Looks like this will be my first SS!

wproct

Single-Sixer
I'm an older guy and I miss stuff. Did we say this one is blued steel or stainless steel?

I'm an older guy and I miss stuff. Did we say this one is blued steel or stainless steel?

OP @firefiterjohn didn't specify blued or stainless.

They have make both blued and stainless, in that configuration.

Check this thread for a pic of the stainless version that I think OP @firefiterjohn has found:

I KNOW there is more info on these here… but I can't find it right now.

I think the 6-1/2" model(s) will be:
NR6F - blued
GKNR6F - stainless

firefiterjohn

Bearcat
I never got to measure it Uncle Howie. I just ran a GB search on SS 7.5" barrel length offerings and the results showed the Hunter stainless steel models and the barrel length LOOKS longer than the "blued" one I'm looking at. Thanks for giving me more information to look up. I will have to measure it in person but most likely stand corrected.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, Ruger doesn't put model numbers on the gun. They are printed on the original boxes,, and now an SKU number as well.
To truly learn about model numbers, and a TON of detailed info,, subscribe to the RENE. That's the Red Eagle News Exchange. And get the "Ruger Reference Guide." Even though the Guide hasn't been updated since 2010,, it's still an invaluable thing to have.

.......hhhmmm, and you have to ask?? :unsure::cool:
and yes it used to be simple and easy when they actually used "model " designation on the labels, but now it is a whole LOT of number digits and to me are meaningless....:(
...and I have to agree with the above, measure, carefully, as I have only seen them in 6 1/2 in. barrels for the longer ones.........;)

...and no, never say never......:)

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I happened to stumble on to an old pic I took some years ago of the three NRxF drift adjustable rear sight models. Same barrel lengths were later offered in the pinched frame fixed sight versions that look as you describe - like Vaqueros.

drift-fixed-nrxf-guns.jpg

No 7.5" guns, Lengths were 4-5/8" (NR4F), 5.5" (NR5F), and 6.5" (NR6F).

As for old models, there were one or two 7.5" guns made, the one that is most famous was Herb Glass' SN 16 gun that was a special request. Our late friend and former owner of the forum, Carl "flatgate", wanted one, so he bought a 9.5" barrel from me and had it cut down to 7.5" and assembled into this:

Custom7-and-half-RSS.jpg

I now own that gun, it is a great memory of Carl. The above pic was taken by Carl and I used to kid him about the eight cartridges.

Sounds like you're looking at an NR-6F.

I think "cowboy guns" look "right" with fixed sights. ❤️

Fixed sights are practical, but oh so ugly! 🤭

$475 OTD for the package you describe is not out of line, IMHO.

Here's an NR-5F currently up for auction, though methinks at $750, the seller is a bit optimistic! 😳 https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1044150367

That said… there are Old Models out there for that kind of money- depends what YOU like!

The Old Models with drift-adjustable rear sight might be the best of both worlds… clean looks AND ability to regulate the sights (with a hammer/brass punch, and a file…)

If you like it, you'd better snap it up! 👍

IMG_8630.jpeg
IMG_8631.jpeg

Last edited:

firefiterjohn

Bearcat
Sounds like you're looking at an NR-6F.

I think "cowboy guns" look "right" with fixed sights. ❤️

Fixed sights are practical, but oh so ugly! 🤭

$475 OTD for the package you describe is not out of line, IMHO.

Here's an NR-5F currently up for auction, though methinks at $750, the seller is a bit optimistic! 😳 https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1044150367
That's exactly what it looks like Uncle Howie. Will see it in person later when I pick it up! Thanks.

firefiterjohn

Bearcat
I happened to stumble on to an old pic I took some years ago of the three NRxF drift adjustable rear sight models. Same barrel lengths were later offered in the pinched frame fixed sight versions that look as you describe - like Vaqueros.

As for old models, there were one or two 7.5" guns made, the one that is most famous was Herb Glass' SN 16 gun that was a special request. Our late friend and former owner of the forum, Carl "flatgate", wanted one, so he bought a 9.5" barrel from me and had it cut down to 7.5" and assembled into this:
Thanks for sharing those pics and your story, those are some fine looking SS!