Redhawk 500 S&W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fatherof4

Bearcat
I have a Redhawk 44 mag and I was wondering if it is possible to convert it to a 500 s&w. Does anyone have any information pro or con about this idea? Thank You

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Because of the cylinder length, I think you are limited to the .500 Linebaugh, .50 AE and .50 Special.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
This one is from the shop of Hamilton Bowen at Bowen Classic Arms. Is a
.500 Linebaugh caliber on a Super RH. But it's not the caliber you want, of course.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/forsale.html

.500 Linebaugh Ruger Super Redhawk: Our cat. no. RD07 caliber conversion. This gun was built some years ago so has a factory front sight base installed on the 6 1/2 inch barrel made from PACNOR stock. Fitted with a white-line ramp front blade and a Rough Country white-outline/square-notch rear sight. Tuned with a trigger over-travel stop. Little used in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. Personal gun of veteran Bowen Classic Arms revolver builder Brian Mapes. Price is $1995; available for immediate delivery.

trouble

Single-Sixer
batmann":1vwg95ts said:
You can keep all of the .500 class handguns, my fun level tops out with the .454 Casull and very few of them.

Agreed, I was anxious for a 500 when they first came out and then finally got to fire one, 440gr CorBon loads :shock: Five was plenty! 454 is much more tolerable for me at least.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
For over a year, I have been suggesting that an extended-frame Super Redhawk could be chambered for a cartridge based on the 500 S&W, but a fraction longer, for no other reason than to make the Smith no longer the most powerful production handgun in the world. I would call the cartridge the "500 Bill" for the obvious reason.

So far, no comment from Sturm, Ruger.

This goes along with my suggestion reintroduce the Security Six chambered for the 22 LR with 8 to 10 (however many can fit) chambers in the cylinder. (And, for Pete's sake, put more chambers in the SP101 22 LR and bring it back, too.)

Also, my suggestion to put a Dan Wesson style interchangeable barrel on the Super Redhawk, at least, if not the GP100, too, and the reintroduced Security Six from my earlier suggestion.

Lost Sheep.

And let's not forget

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
fatherof4":1plqtfin said:
I have a Redhawk 44 mag and I was wondering if it is possible to convert it to a 500 s&w. Does anyone have any information pro or con about this idea? Thank You

To each his own.

But I can count on one hand the number of shooters I have personally met who have mastered the 44 magnum. I can shoot a 44 magnum accurately for about 3 cylinders and then I lose it.

I have a good friend who's into big boomers. I have declined his offer to shoot his snubby 500 magnum Smith.

The older I get the more I appreciate cartridges like the 38 Special and 45 Colt.

rhatimi

Bearcat
Lost Sheep":1j2p47r0 said:
This goes along with my suggestion reintroduce the Security Six chambered for the 22 LR with 8 to 10 (however many can fit) chambers in the cylinder. (And, for Pete's sake, put more chambers in the SP101 22 LR and bring it back, too.)

Lost Sheep.

And let's not forget

Agreed Ruger needs more double action .22's

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a 500 and a 454 alaskan neither pistol is bad for recoil. A lot of it is just people who don't know and are afraid to try it. I had a 50ae desert eagle before I got the 500 it's recoil was a lot worse than the 500. I bought 50 of the 700 gr bullets from ranger rick in alaska I have only shot 5 of them but they aren't any more recoil than the 350 gr bullets in my pistol. Also my 454 alaskan is a whimp pistol it doesn't recoil bad at all I have 45 colt loads that produce more recoil than my 454. I think the key is the short bbl's my 500 is the 4" and the alaskan is like 2 1/2. Others have told me their 500's kick but they have the long bbl's. If they weren't so expensive I would buy one of the bear survival kits with the snub nosed 500 in it with the orange grips.But they are giong for 8to900 used.

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
I ran across this old post and thought someone interested in .500's may know something about this Redhawk I have. Blue Redhawk 502-XXXXX 4" Magnaported 5-shot unfluted cylinder .500 Linebaugh caliber. There is a sticker inside the frame below the cylinder that says Trijicon. Anybody have any idea who might have done the conversion?

Latest posts