Ruger .44 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
After my annual physical at the VA I stopped by a LGS and ran across a Ruger .44 Carbine… it's in "shooter" shape with no rust but the bluing is worn in places and the stock has some dings and worn finish. The SN dates it to 1970. Would $749 be a good price for this??

Last edited:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
congrats, you'll love it. As mentioned use fmj or semi jacketed ammo and use 240gn ammo, anything lighter might not have enough energy to cycle the action. Thankfully there are many good 240 choices
I don't use heavier than 240's in mine. Anything heavier may cause issues with the old stocks and they're as rare as hens teeth. 240 out of carbine length barrel can get it done about anywhere, anything. That's my thought anyway. Mine has a repaired stock and don't want anymore issues with it. Enjoy

Last edited:

Hankus

Blackhawk
As promised, photos. Note the Army surplus canvas M1 carbine sling. It's missing blueing in several spots along the barrel and some of the finish is rubbed off a spot on the stock. I don't think this has a lot of collector value and wonder if I should have it refinished? When I first looked at it I told the young guy behind the counter that this looks like it bounced around in someone's truck for a few decades. Later, the owner told me it was the original owner's truck gun LOL.
I know there is someone on the forum that lives nearby the shop in Bradenton FL where I got this. Someone local seems to be divesting a Ruger collection through this shop as they always have two or three interesting Rugers on consignment. There was a VERY clean OM .357 Blackhawk in the case too. AND a pristine Winchester Canadian Centennial 1894 in 30-30 with an octagonal barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_7539.jpeg
    IMG_7539.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7538.jpeg
    IMG_7538.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7537.jpeg
    IMG_7537.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7536.jpeg
    IMG_7536.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Well, my stepson replaced three of the suppressors that were destroyed in a house fire a couple of years ago. He picked them up yesterday after a ~six week wait. Looks like we're heading to the range tomorrow, so I'll take my new carbine too! I received two boxes of vintage ammo with it; a box of Remington jacketed 240 grain JSP with a damaged box, and a pristine box of Super-X 240 grain semi jacketed hollow soft points. Check out the price label on the Super-X!! (I won't be firing those, might be willing to sell them …)

Attachments

• IMG_7543.jpeg
    IMG_7543.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

flyer898

Bearcat
I have one of the Carbines with a Mannlicher style stock. I used to have the regular carbine. I mounted it with a 2.5X Refield scope. My favorite load was a Hornady 265 gr. flat-point designed for the .444 Marlin over a 100% density load of WW296. I called that rifle little thumper, which it did at both ends. Five shot groups at 50 yards ran about an inch. I have not yet shot the Mannlicher stock rifle.
I read in "Ruger and His Guns" by R.L. Wilson that during devolopment they tried to blow one up by overloading it. Ruger went so far as to try a full case of Bullseye without hurting the rifle. I think that is in the caregory of "Don't Try This At Home!"

Guv

Bearcat
That Hornady 265 was a great bullet for both 44 and 444. Remington used it in their factory 265 444 load.

Guv

Bearcat
I mainly used that bullet, same load as above, in my 7.5" Redhawk for IHMSA Sillhouette shooting - it took down rams at 200 yards with AUTHORITY.
I bet, on top of everything else it had a fairly nice profile.

flyer898

Bearcat
While nothing to write home about the ballistic co-efficient for that bullet is higher than for any .44 handgun bullet.
RCBS made a mold that dropped a 254 grain bullet with a nose profile similar to the 265 grain Hornady. I have cast, loaded, and then fired a great many of them in sillhouette competition to good effect.