Ruger-57 5.7x28 pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mark McWillis

Bearcat
blume357 said:
I'm thinking that is the round the secret service agents that actually guard the White House have in their sub machine guns....
(this is not a joke.... was a small round that fed from the top if I recall. )

You are correct. The P90 uses a 50 rd. Mag on top and rejects down. Very little recoil.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Not my usual cup of tea; but I'll be getting one of these. Have wanted an FN for while, but balked at the price. Here we have an affordable equivalent. Perhaps it will prompt additional ammunition options from other than FN and Federal.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I'm not saying this pistol won't be successful, but have you ever seen a smaller forum thread for a completely new firearm from Ruger?

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
ndcowboy said:
I'm not saying this pistol won't be successful, but have you ever seen a smaller forum thread for a completely new firearm from Ruger?

It is strange. The threads on most forums talking about this pistol are much larger.

Mark McWillis

Bearcat
I have one of these in hand. Better ergonomics than the FN, drilled and tapped for a red dot sight mount, FAR better safety arrangement and 1/2 the price. Ruger has a winner, IMHO.

Kanook

Buckeye
Mark McWillis said:
I have one of these in hand. Better ergonomics than the FN, drilled and tapped for a red dot sight mount, FAR better safety arrangement and 1/2 the price. Ruger has a winner, IMHO.
Is there enough barrel to be threaded?

I watched the promo video last night. Very little recoil and it didn't seem like the slide was all that difficult to manipulate which is surprising since it's described as "blow back" operation. I'm hoping this idea works and that Ruger develops a 5.7 version of the PCC
I won't be buying one for a while since I prefer to see how new stuff works before owning. As far as performance goes, this cartridge is sort of a centerfire 22WMR.

Mark McWillis

Bearcat
Kanook said:
Mark McWillis said:
Is there enough barrel to be threaded?

The barrel is .415. IMO that is a little too small to thread under the slide and add an extension. Nature abhors a vacuum so once these guns get out there I'm sure somebody will make an extended barrel with threads.

"It's actually quite a bit hotter than the .22 mag. 400+ FPS more, in any given bullet weight."

A couple of representative factory offerings both 40 grain jacketed bullets.
Quantity 50
Manufacturer Winchester
Ammo Caliber .22 WMR
Manufacturer SKU X22M
Bullet Type FMJ
Primer Type rimfire
Muzzle Velocity 1910

Quantity 2000
Manufacturer FN Herstal
Ammo Caliber 5.7 x 28
Manufacturer SKU SS197SR
Bullet Type V-MAX
Primer Type boxer
Muzzle Velocity 2034

TRanger

Blackhawk
.22 Magnum RIFLE performance out of a HANDGUN isn't to be sneezed at; particularly one with virtually no recoil and 20-round capacity.

hpman66

Hunter
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/12/31/tested-ruger-57-pistol/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0120
Tested: Ruger-57 Pistol
by Kelly Young, Managing Editor - Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Mark McWillis

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
"It's actually quite a bit hotter than the .22 mag. 400+ FPS more, in any given bullet weight."

A couple of representative factory offerings both 40 grain jacketed bullets.
Quantity 50
Manufacturer Winchester
Ammo Caliber .22 WMR
Manufacturer SKU X22M
Bullet Type FMJ
Primer Type rimfire
Muzzle Velocity 1910

Quantity 2000
Manufacturer FN Herstal
Ammo Caliber 5.7 x 28
Manufacturer SKU SS197SR
Bullet Type V-MAX
Primer Type boxer
Muzzle Velocity 2034

I believe that the .22 WMR velocity quoted is in a rifle. In a 5" pistol barrel a 40 gn. is going around 1300-1400 FPS

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
CCI lists their 40gr HP 22WMR muzzle velocity from a 6" barrel at 1425fps.
A 5.7x28 with a 40gr Federal American Eagle FMJ is listed @ 1655fps from a 4.8" barrel.
MidwayUSA lists the 5.7 velocity as 2250fps from the same barrel which is likely incorrect.

Latest posts