SFAR Gas Block Adjustment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
The OP either got his fixed or surrendered apparently. He's not logged on since Jan. 15.
Makes me glad I got the 20" version.

Actually... I read an earlier review of the SFAR. The reviewer said pretty much the same thing about the gouging of the brass when on the "factory setting". Fortunately, he turned the adjustment to 2, his rifle continued to function, and the brass gouging went away.

CjackG

Bearcat
To clarify the pic I posted... All were factory rds, no reloads. The most damaged rds were in the 1st 100 fired in the new SFAR, and the Perfecta 308s show the most damage. Recent tests (nearing 300rds) show almost no marks on brass...

So the problem sorted itself out??
I'd still like to know what was causing the 'gouges' just for my own understanding. I simply can't understand how any firearms manufacturer puts a product on the market with that sort of disfunction.

I don't know if it's a dysfunction.

An adjustable gas setting set too open can cause violent extraction and/or ejection. The dysfunction arises when the firearm will not operate at a lesser gas setting. Hopefully a break-in will help. I would like to read an update from the OP.

Here's a photo, gleaned from the internet, of cases ejected from a SFAR. From this handful of cases, they don't all share the same disfigurement. But then, in this handful of cases, they don't share the same headstamp, either.

CjackG

Bearcat
So the problem sorted itself out??
I'd still like to know what was causing the 'gouges' just for my own understanding. I simply can't understand how any firearms manufacturer puts a product on the market with that sort of disfunction.
Not Really! More break-in plus increasing the buffer weight may have eased it some, but like a lot of others I am still -not- able to get from the #3 gas block setting down to 2. More tests later this week....

CjackG

Bearcat
I am now over 300rds breakin and still cannot get to #2 gas block setting without problems. Has anyone reading this thread been able to get a .308 SFAR to operate consistently at the #2 gas setting as recommended by Ruger? Does the 20" SFAR do better than the 16".

hittman

Staff member
Is your gun still chewing up the brass?
If not ….. is there some reason running yours on setting 3 all the time would be a problem?

What happens when you shoot it on setting 1?

CjackG

Bearcat
Finally some real improvement on the SFAR gas handling...
RUGER provided a modified gas regulator to try in the SFAR gas block. The upgrade seems to be simply increasing the size of the #2 regulator hole a bit to about 5/64" which is slightly more than the orig #2 and still less than #3 which gives full gas flow. It may be about a 2.5 setting....

Using this modified regulator in my 16" SFAR today I was able to use #2 setting with a variety of 308 ammo and never had a jam or mis-feed at all like before. The fired brass still shows some minor marks but nothing like the deep pits I was getting regularly before.

Maybe a regulator with even more holes of various sizes would be useful for dealing with various ammo.

Either way I am now a very Happy SFAR owner and think it is a terrific rifle!
SFAR regulator mod.jpg

before

duke3

Bearcat
My 16" is ejecting factory PMC 149gr at 1230/100,reload 150grs ejecting at 200---this is #3 setting.No other problems,I keep her wet....With a 3oz buffer,I think the problem could be the buffer spring,going to try a JP flatwire.

305gunguy

Bearcat
I've had the 16" since March and when I first got it I took it out and put over 100 rounds through it. It had a couple fails at first on #2 so I put it on #3 and shot about 10 rounds then ran a boar snake and switched it to #2 and it was all good after that. Every few rounds I ran the snake and it kept working. I've got about 300 through it now and the last 50 or so were with a dead air nomad 30 can with the #1 setting and it worked like a charm. No failures or anything, this has been a great rifle for me. Shot it at 200 yards and had great results

LVRugerGuy

Bearcat
Finally some real improvement on the SFAR gas handling...
RUGER provided a modified gas regulator to try in the SFAR gas block. The upgrade seems to be simply increasing the size of the #2 regulator hole a bit to about 5/64" which is slightly more than the orig #2 and still less than #3 which gives full gas flow. It may be about a 2.5 setting....
Did you have to call them to get the regulator?I submitted a Customer Service email a few days ago and haven't heard anything back, which is atypical because they usually respond within a day. I've having issues on setting 2 with my 20" SFAR and if is this is the fix I definitely want it. So what was the process to acquire it and how long did it take?

CjackG

Bearcat
Yes, I talked with a rep and they sent me the new regulator.

But, I have to tell you the only difference is the hole for #2 setting is now 5/64" and that is easily done with the right drill bit! I confirmed this with a bit after I received the new one.

hittman

Staff member
A local guy decided recently that my SFAR was worth $1150 so …. Hope he enjoys it. I never had a problem with it.

duke3

Bearcat
Success!!!...Fired about 100 PMC 147gr-##3-OVERgassed,#2-ejection problems,ran another 100-same....Spent a few hrs with springs and buffers-not much luck...Remembered I had a Vtlor A5 setup---7pos tube/spring H1....147gr nato PMC---3:00 eject......150/168gr handloads 1gr under max-3:30-3:45 ejection consistent.ON #2setting.....16"SFAR,I'm an old man--Limbsaver pad and got rid of boomer brake(ZEV comped FH),not bad recoil at all.This rifle is growing on me...

Last edited:

duke3

Bearcat
Shot again---147gr PMC-ejected at 3-3:30 on #2 setting...The Vtlor setup is the way to go.....I will say Ruger should have tried it and added 75$ to rifle cost....

bryman1022

Bearcat
Hey Ruger, there seems to be some issues with the adjustable gas settings. Setting 2 is not enough 3 is too much. I wonder if Ruger (or an aftermarket company) would benefit from making regulators with more adjustments. Even if only 4 settings fit on one regulator, with how easy it is removed there could be 3 or 4 different regulators available all with different size holes for fine tuning the gas. They all would be made to fit the stock gas block. Sure would make tuning it easier and help reliability.

I have a 20" SFAR, just got it a few days ago. Haven't shot it yet. Been taking in all the info online.
I'm going to tear my SFAR down this week while I wait for my scope to come in. Check it over and make sure everything is torqued properly.
I did notice my gas block is slightly canted. I'll have to see if its an issue and if it can be straightened.

I also heard Ruger has an updated gas regulator available. Some have said they called and Ruger sent it without any problems, others said they couldn't get Ruger to send it and wanted them to send the gun in. I am going to call Ruger Monday morning and try to get them to send me the new regulator.

I do think having 3 or 4 different regulators with a bunch of gas settings going from a small hole with a little gas progressing to larger holes with more gas would greatly help in finding the right amount of gas. The regulator pops in and out so easily, seems like a great way to fix some of these reliability issues.