SP101 in 327 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigpappa160

Bearcat
What's peoples thoughts on the SP101 in 327 mag? What barrel length does it come in? If someone owns one whats ya'lls thoughts on it?

Armybrat

Buckeye
Picked up my new 3" about a month ago. Fit & finish are very nice, but have yet to get out to the land to shoot it. So far I like it as well as my .357 with 2.25" barrel......

34_B7_A721_CCD2_47_E3_A30_F_84_E4_E44072_F5.jpg

Have one with a 4.2" barrel and f/o front sight. I like it. As soon as my brother tried it, he promptly bought one just like it. We did put Hogue grips on then to make them a little more comfortable for our old hands.

nn

Single-Sixer
I like it, my hand went numb shooting 30 100 gr PSP with the factory wood insert grip.

Put a Hogue monogrip on it and haven't looked back.

Does Ruger still make an SP101 in .327 like the one Armybrat pictured? I thought they changed them to the longer barreled version with fiber optic sights?

I have the model just like in the picture above. It's a joy to shoot. Since I reload, I load light and the 327 is very nice to shoot. Seems to be as cheap as 22 as well.

Did the value of the "old" SP101's increase since they came out with the "new" longer barreled version?

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Yes , they are offering a 3" version as well as the 4.2. But it no longer has the strange little windage only rear sight like the older ones .
Barely visible here but a useful plus for me.

413568352.jpg

bigpappa160

Bearcat
Oh, another question, which I'm new with the 327 ammo, what other caliber ammo can you use with the 327?

bigpappa160 said:
Oh, another question, which I'm new with the 327 ammo, what other caliber ammo can you use with the 327?
You can shoot 32 H&R, 32 S&W long also, some say 32ACP but have never tried them. The Fed 327 AE 100 grainers are pretty hot.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Kevin said:
Does Ruger still make an SP101 in .327 like the one Armybrat pictured? I thought they changed them to the longer barreled version with fiber optic sights?

I have the model just like in the picture above. It's a joy to shoot. Since I reload, I load light and the 327 is very nice to shoot. Seems to be as cheap as 22 as well.

Did the value of the "old" SP101's increase since they came out with the "new" longer barreled version?
Yes, Ruger started making again the 3" version several months ago. I put mine on layaway in early December and picked it up a month ago.
As pointed out, it does not have the little bitty windage adjustable rear sight.

MZ5

Bearcat
I have a new 3". That is to say, I own one. Ruger actually has it at the moment. It needed some reworking. I hope to have it back and right soon.

Armybrat

Buckeye
MZ5 said:
I have a new 3". That is to say, I own one. Ruger actually has it at the moment. It needed some reworking. I hope to have it back and right soon.
What kind of "reworking" did it need, cosmetic or mechanical?

For daily carry the sp101 would be my top choice, but since I carry a 1911 daily year round, I wanted mine for sporting use, so I chose to go with the GP-100 in the Six inch FL version. I this model it will show you everything the 327 can be! 25 yards is boring, and with the longer cylinder seating with a Longer OAL really shows you just what it can do!
NOE-115-315-_FN-1.70--col.jpg

In the GP100 more bullet options are available, and 125 grain bullets will do what the factory 1500 fps 100 gr. HP will dol when loaded to an extended OAL in the longer cylinder and properly loaded to equal pressures, or there about, seven shots,, and @ 1574 average FPS it's smoke'n for a 125 grain bullet, and pretty flat shoot'n out to 100 yards. but six shot groups easily inside a nickle is pretty impressive with these velocities!
126-grain-_FN-day2-_II.jpg

Day-2-126-grn-_FN.jpg

RugerRover

Bearcat
I had one of the initial 3" barreled SP101's (with the small rear sight). I thought it had a lot of blast and, with the hotter rounds, a fair amount of recoil. The 4.2" may cure some of those ills, and provide better ballistics -- an improvement of ~200 fps for the American Eagle 100 grain JSP in one test -- see http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/327mag.html

Having said that, the 3" looks and balances great -- an entirely subjective point of view.

MZ5

Bearcat
Armybrat said:
MZ5 said:

Mechanical. Difficult extraction, significantly bulged brass, some light primer strikes resulting in misfires, and shooting to a different place than POA. I expect they'll get it fixed and back to me soon.

Alte Schule

Bearcat
MZ5 said:
Armybrat said:
MZ5 said:

Mechanical. Difficult extraction, significantly bulged brass, some light primer strikes resulting in misfires, and shooting to a different place than POA. I expect they'll get it fixed and back to me soon.

Basically the same problem I had two weeks ago. NIB first time at the range. Managed to barely extract the .32 H&R Mag. Next six were .90 gr .327 that I could not extract. The range is connected to the shop where I purchased it. Manager managed to work the spent casings out. Brass was bulged and all had light primer strikes. He took care of the return to Ruger for repair. Have had/have several Ruger pistols, revolvers and autoloaders, in my long life, never had a problem with one previously. Hopefully it will return soon.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Thanks for the heads-up. Will be on the lookout for anything like those problems whenever I get mine to the range or out at the land.

Latest posts