Stripping Wrangler grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixgunner454

Bearcat
Here is pistol in question. It has ugly flash/seams on frame. I also thought I may fit frame better to grips while I was at it.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 48

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum sixgunner454!

Very few folks have been tinkering with the grip frames of the Wranglers. And as noted above,, the coating would likely need abrasive removal,, such as sandblasting. Then you'd have to polish it for a smoother finish.
Some folks have swapped out Wrangler grip frames for other Ruger grip frames. I see yours is a Birdshead type,, so an inexpensive swap may not be an option.

sixgunner454

Bearcat
Contender, I am concerned how frame will look when I'm finished sanding aluminum, alloy mixture of Wrangler frame. I have refinished/painted ss6 frames with black, ht header paint in the past. Just kinda want to leave in the white. Randy

are the Wrangler frames an aluminum alloy?? I heard they kinda moved around the different alloys for various parts of those new guns, zamac,or zinc diecast or some other such is in the various parts, and the cylinder frame is now aluminum?? have not talked with any one "in the know" since they came out and we have yet to come out of retirement to even think about messing with one, Ron in Pa., may know as to what may be needed to remove the ceracote finish versus waiting for normal "wear and tear" use or holsters, or the elements, or even over cleaning ones guns..........:unsure::cool::rolleyes:

Last edited:

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
The Wrangler grip frames are cast of a zinc alloy, and will be a dark-ish gray color once the cerakote is removed...So don't expect it to look anything like polished aluminum.

el caminero

Single-Sixer
The Wrangler grip frames are cast of a zinc alloy, and will be a dark-ish gray color once the cerakote is removed...So don't expect it to look anything like polished aluminum.
Is similar to old original ruger lightweight s-six alloy, basically zamak, zink-aluminium-magnesium-and-kupfer (copper), there are varying amounts of each due to the properties desired. Also used by colt's scout, high standard, henry schmidt-to-current-heritage, the new diamondback (h.s. clone), and raven, jennings, hypoint et.al.
It is called potmetal, like many brass, bronze, and pewter alloys, because it can be brewed in a pot on a stove in the shop.
The shiny silvery bare stuff will quickly oxidise to shades of grey, and blacken your hand. I have had limited success with appliance enamel...

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Other than some sight adjustments to hit POA, I tend to leave my Wranglers alone and just shoot them. I DO enjoy playing with and modifying Heritage Rough Rider's...Which are far more "modular" given all the parts and accessories available.

I tried several of my spare NM Blackhawk/Single Six grip frames on my Wrangler, with no luck. The support tabs on the face of the ears was not in the same place as the notch in the Wrangler frame. I did try a steel Super frame and it fit with no issues, but a heavy steel grip frame sorta defeats the purpose IMHO.

I do have a couple steel NM XR3 grip frames that I will be listing soon, if you're interested.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's too bad Ruger never cast the bird's head grip in alum alloy.

However if you choose an old model or new model alloy or steel grip frame for a replacement, the support tabs are not needed on a .22 because there's almost no recoil. They can be filed off.
The latest XR3 steel grip frames for the NM flattops and New Vaqueros don't even have tabs.