The Marlin Camp 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
I actually saw one in the rack at the LGS, right next to the Canadian Centennial 1894 and the carbine I DID buy; a 1970 Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine. I didn't give it a second look because I already have a 9mm carbine, a High Point I picked up dirt cheap several years ago. I'm still thinking about the Winchester though … 😉

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
God bless them all but I'm in California. It sucks when your only son lives across the country. I tease him by saying to come home and he gets guns and we go shooting !! Well it hasn't happened yet. I mean, let's face it, there all going to him anyway. I'm just wondering if I shoot the Camp 9, if it will lower the value for HIM.
It used to be Father, son, grandson and best friend. We hunted and fished together. We shot together. We camped together.

Life happens. Dad passed away, Friend got cancer then a quadruple heart bypass, son moved to tennefreakingsee. Now the wife and I camp alone. I hunt alone (on occasion) with a cellphone in pocket just in case.

The difference between a "NIB unfired" gun vs. a "LNIB only fired a few times and then cleaned meticulously" gun amounts to pennies. The value to HIM (and grandsons) is a fine gun that was once bought new and used by Grandpa.

Of course, then there is the other side of the story. Said best friend now can't shoot a rifle with his cracked open chest. He "saved" them for years hoping for a grandson, and now got one. However......, the SIL won't allow a gun in the house, so if friend passes before his GS becomes of age, all his prized possessions will be sold by the wife at pennies on the dollar.

Sorry for the rant. We all have opinions.

Star43

Buckeye
It used to be Father, son, grandson and best friend. We hunted and fished together. We shot together. We camped together.

Life happens. Dad passed away, Friend got cancer then a quadruple heart bypass, son moved to tennefreakingsee. Now the wife and I camp alone. I hunt alone (on occasion) with a cellphone in pocket just in case.

The difference between a "NIB unfired" gun vs. a "LNIB only fired a few times and then cleaned meticulously" gun amounts to pennies. The value to HIM (and grandsons) is a fine gun that was once bought new and used by Grandpa.

Of course, then there is the other side of the story. Said best friend now can't shoot a rifle with his cracked open chest. He "saved" them for years hoping for a grandson, and now got one. However......, the SIL won't allow a gun in the house, so if friend passes before his GS becomes of age, all his prized possessions will be sold by the wife at pennies on the dollar.

No, it wasn't a rant. It was and is reality.....I have seen this same type of scenario happen with friends and also my own family ....That really sucks about your best friend. I don't even know the guy but it bothers me just thinking about it. His stupid son in law should of had the brains out of respect to his father-in-law to at least store the rifle for the kid for when he comes of age and "Then" present the gun in honor of the kid's grandfather that it was a gift from his grandad. Some son in laws aren't worth a crap. My big question is where is your friend's daughter?? She should stick up for her Dad.!! Now I am ranting...I think I am leaning to just to go ahead and shoot it a little. It would be used lightly and cleaned up as just like new....And my son/grandsons will know it not only came from me, but I also shot it too. 👍

Star43

Buckeye

By the way, I know what it's like to lose your shooting buddy.......Not too long ago there was a thread here about "I Lost my shooting buddy". I know all about that, as I'm the one who started that thread ........

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Well that's a thought. At least the "shelf life" on the new buffers will have a longer expiration date. Heck, these buffers seem almost like buying a loaf of bread, in having to worry about an expiration type date on something that is not even being used !!! 🤔
Go ahead and shoot it! If not, hang it on your wall and enjoy it that way. I keep my guns meticulously clean and get alot of, " you ever shoot these?" Then there is "the brand new just got it in" LGD that look down the bore and see unburnt powder still in the barrel and the black rings on the front of the cylinder. I don't sell anything anymore it's too hard to replace some things such as your Camp 9. And I'm at the point if it did go up for sale, whomever wants it has to pay my premium price. They are staying in the family, my 2 kids have already picked out the ones they want.😁

Star43

Buckeye
Go ahead and shoot it! If not, hang it on your wall and enjoy it that way. I keep my guns meticulously clean and get alot of, " you ever shoot these?" Then there is "the brand new just got it in" LGD that look down the bore and see unburnt powder still in the barrel and the black rings on the front of the cylinder. I don't sell anything anymore it's too hard to replace some things such as your Camp 9. And I'm at the point if it did go up for sale, whomever wants it has to pay my premium price. They are staying in the family, my 2 kids have already picked out the ones they want.😁
Yeah, I agree with what you say. Here I am worrying about it being "New in Box" when basically, when some guys have seen my things, they say the same thing....."You never shoot these things, do ya". Well a lot times, that is true, but the ones I DO shoot, they can't tell the difference. What you say about being hard or not being able to replace things anymore, heck, I'm in CA !!! They make it hard to just buy the darn ammo here, never mind guns. Yes, I want mine to stay in my family too.

Star43

Buckeye
12 minute video of how to replace the buffer

Thanks Hawk, I was going to go on-line to try to check this out. Now I can check this out right here and other guys, watching this thread with a Camp 9, this should be a real good video to see! Thanks again Hawk !! 🙂🙂👍👍

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I'm in CA !!! They make it hard to just buy the darn ammo here, never mind guns. Yes, I want mine to stay in my family too.
Hahaha. NY now requires a NICS check to even buy a box of .22s. I was standing at a gun counter recently (not for ammo, I don't buy in NY) and the guy next to me was being denied ammo. His name was John Jones (no kidding). Then, he pulled out his local police badge and it didn't make any difference.

Thankfully, PA is a close drive and the gun shops there are doing so much business that they are actually running SALES now.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I under stand the buying your 3 year old a new gun , GOOD JOB !!!!!!!

when my first grandson was maybe 5 or 6 months old , I took over a NIB P95 and gave it to his folks , i told them it was their job to make sure he got it when he was old enough whether I was still around or not ... I'm still around and have taken him shooting with single shot 22's but not the P95 yet , that should be happening pretty soon

now as for the value who knows, with how our country is changing it may not even be legal to gift it to your son in the future ....

one thing , you should buy a new buffer for the gun , as old as the buffer is that's in the gun, it probably with crack in short order once it starts getting shot
I bought my firstborn son a new 1968 Ruger 10/22 the day he was born. It has a very nice grain walnut stock…all original and LNIB, even though he's shot a few bricks through it over the past 56 years.
Since his son (my oldest grandson) passed away two years ago, it will go to any children my newlywed granddaughter has.

Star43

Buckeye
I bought my firstborn son a new 1968 Ruger 10/22 the day he was born. It has a very nice grain walnut stock…all original and LNIB, even though he's shot a few bricks through it over the past 56 years.
Since his son (my oldest grandson) passed away two years ago, it will go to any children my newlywed granddaughter has.
Sounds like you have a plan !! Whoever gets it will be getting something very special !! 🙂👍👍

Star43

Buckeye
Hahaha. NY now requires a NICS check to even buy a box of .22s. I was standing at a gun counter recently (not for ammo, I don't buy in NY) and the guy next to me was being denied ammo. His name was John Jones (no kidding). Then, he pulled out his local police badge and it didn't make any difference.

Thankfully, PA is a close drive and the gun shops there are doing so much business that they are actually running SALES now.
How about this. In CA one has to pay a fee for the privilege of buying ammo. Then they do a background check on you before you can buy your little 50 round box of 22's......Also if you have a 9mm and a 22, and you go to a GS to buy some ammo for yourself and your neighbor or your friend asks you to pick up some 44's for him while you are there, they won't sell them to me because they know I don't own a 44......plus all of the conversations are recorded......and to be checked and listened to........And do you think we are a free country ???

Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
The original owners are usually the only ones that think they are worth more than a sane number. It's worth more than you paid but not as much as most other un-fired Camp 9 owners think theirs is worth. 45's are worth quite a bit more now days.

I bought a Marlin Camp 9 back in the early to mid nineties and it is still new in the box unfired. The manual and whatever it came with is all there. It is a, to me, a beautiful little gun. My question is should I fire it after all of these years or should I leave it as is. I mean, does a "new" Camp 9 in the box have any value out there? Not that I want to sell it, because I won't. I was just wondering what you guys would do if you were me ? Should I keep it new in the box, or just start shooting it now after all of these years ? What would you do ???
Shoot it and enjoy it is what I would do! No big value to it, shoot it and Have some fun!!

Star43

Buckeye
It's because they were way less common.
Yes they were less common, much less common, and why, because they were not as popular. They just didn't sell. The idea of a 9MM carbine was more popular and it sold. Marlin had the 4 round magazine (why a 4 round??) which are actually valuable today. But they also offered the 12 round mags too, & of course the S/W mags. Right now today, if I was at a show or whatever, & I saw a brand new Camp 9 & a brand new Camp 45, I would buy another Camp 9. With no hesitancy at all. And Why, because of the reason I bought the Camp 9 in the FIRST place. Because it is more desirable to me and ALL the others who chose the 9 in the first place !!! The Camp 45 is ok, BUT the Camp 9 is more feasible because of the cost of the 9mm ammo, and the easy availability of the 9mm ammo, because of the popularity of the 9mm. There was no contest back then and now. The Camp 9 was and still is Special !!! 🙂👍👍

Last edited: