Total Eclipse coming soon

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodsy

Blackhawk
How many know about Dickens' book "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court"? Or the movie with Bing Crosby? In it Hank Martin is saved by him predicting an eclipse, proving he was "powerful". Not enough reason to look up at the sky, though.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
How many know about Dickens' book "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court"? Or the movie with Bing Crosby? In it Hank Martin is saved by him predicting an eclipse, proving he was "powerful". Not enough reason to look up at the sky, though.
Great book and movie. Mark Twain 👍

caryc

Hawkeye
OK, here's the question - how many of you have never directly looked at the sun in your life? C'mon, be honest. In the course of my life, I have innumerable times. Not for a minute or two, but briefly. Ever wipe the sweat off your forehead and looked up at the sun on a hot day?
Here's a curious thing. I remember when I was a kid, I could look directly at the sun and then had to look away. But if I look at it today, I have to look away right away. It seemed that as a child I could look at it longer.

I don't spend any time looking at the sun. I more or less am talking like turd above. All I'm saying is that is seems that I have to look away quicker now that I'm older.

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
The info I read says #12 shade or darker lens if using a welding helmet.
I believe most arc welding uses a #10 shade, the #12 was what I used when air arcing 35 or 40 yrs ago.

Good ?, dont know the answer, but no need for binocs. Solar glasses protect your eyes as you look to see moon's dark orb progress to obliterate the sun over the course of perhaps an hour, nothing very eventful there. But for the few minutes of totality, no need for solar glasses or binocs, you'll know it because a fast moving shadow engulfs the land. Be on full alert with a your senses to take it in.
Look up and all around it is mystical, you may hear crickets and birds react. You are in sudden twilight and after a few minutes, just as suddenly it ends as the shadow sweeps onward across the landscape.

hpman66

Hunter
1712527412494.png

KIR

Sparks, NV
Not another eclipse of the sun? They happen every year and a half or so. Can't see most of them though. Area of totality is usually out on an ocean or so...