Upgrading Ruger SFAR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JonVan

Bearcat
I have the 20" Ruger SFAR 308 AR10. I have heard its a bit of a hybrid, implementing some aspects of an AR 15. I want to know one if I can install a Q AR-15 Shorty PDW Stock in the stead of the current stock and recoil spring and I also want to know if AR15 drop in triggers like the Rise Armament Rave 140 are compatible. The last thoughts are now that I have changed mind on setting my 308 up for long range hunting to midrange (with a 5x Prism with a max desired range of 500m), should I switch it out for the 16" to have some advantage on maneuverability or is the velocity and energy advantage of the 20" still worth it as I originally thought... Note my primary CQB/SHTF is a 10.5" 300 AAC AR Pistol, thr AR 10 would be for reasonable range hunting and situations requiring higher firepower. Whenever I get into serious range hunting I intent to get a Christensen Arms Evoke boot gun in 300 PRC.

hittman

Staff member
At the bottom of the page under "Similar Threads" you may find info there. Must be half a dozen or more SFAR threads to read through.

1: A 16" .308 is pretty anemic.
2: A 16" .308 is really LOUD.
3: A 16" .308 has unnecessarily heavy recoil for the terminal performance it delivers.
4: The SFAR has shown some fairly unpleasant performance tendencies so swapping bits and pieces may not be a positive experience.