Wanting to try my hand at casting my own...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Guys I used to cast .535 muzzle loader balls as a youth under the supervision of my father some 45 years ago from. 999.9 Bunker hill lead but don't remember much other than that.
To get rolling again to cast for my .45 acp, .357 and .45Colt please give me pointers if you will.
At this point I have absolutely nothing at all to start.
Thanks guys
Scott

dannyd

Hunter
Start with a Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot and some six cavity moulds and use their push threw sizing dies. Not counting the lead that will get you in for about 300.00 dollars or less. You can use the 200 grain SWC for both the 45 acp and 45 colt then get a 158 grain swc for the 38/357.

You can buy some Lyman #2 from RotoMetals.

Start easy and cheap to see if you like it first because it's not for everyone.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Start with a Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot and some six cavity moulds and use their push threw sizing dies. Not counting the lead that will get you in for about 300.00 dollars or less. You can use the 200 grain SWC for both the 45 acp and 45 colt then get a 158 grain swc for the 38/357.

You can buy some Lyman #2 from RotoMetals.

Start easy and cheap to see if you like it first because it's not for everyone.
Yep that's great advice and just what I am looking for at this point.
Thank you.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Be warned....CASTING BOOLITS IS ADDICTIVE!!
Heck I have been shooting all my life and had a bb gun before my first peddle bike(mostly because of super steep Idaho county) lol.
I have been addicted to launching projectiles in the air for so long I think I need to stop with the expensive jacketed bullets to continue my obsession, even my wife who shoots alot is helping me research this😎 .
And if the responses to earlier questions are an indicator I am most sure I'm in good hands here.

RansV-Rex

Bearcat
Heck I have been shooting all my life and had a bb gun before my first peddle bike(mostly because of super steep Idaho county) lol.
I have been addicted to launching projectiles in the air for so long I think I need to stop with the expensive jacketed bullets to continue my obsession, even my wife who shoots alot is helping me research this😎 .
And if the responses to earlier questions are an indicator I am most sure I'm in good hands here.
I like to reload and shoot, but casting bullets is about my favorite of gun related things. You can cast bullets for just about anything you want to do. As an example....75gr .38spl bullets are a blast to shoot and you can't buy them anywhere...you can certainly cast all of them you want.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Been casting bullets, both rifle and handgun, for about 50 years and the advice on the Lee 20 pound pot is good advice. Have had a number of lead furnaces by Lee, Lyman and SAECO and the Lee is the one I use now. Might suggest adding a cheap solid top hotplate to, pre-heat the mold, can usually get good bullets on the first pour and for sure on the second pour. If buying new try Titan Reloading, they seem to have the best prices as they are a Lee distributor. Have bought from them in the past and never had any issues. I'll second J in suggesting you join the cast boolits forum, it's dedicated to bullet casting and shooting.

dannyd

Hunter
Casting bullets is addictive, but I have also seen people spend a lot of money cast 100 bullets and sell the gear for a loss.

I love to cast and like someone already said it's the most fun of reloading for me. You mileage may very.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, as a long time caster,, I can say I enjoy it, as it provides me with an extra way of custom making my own ammo.

As noted,, the cast boolit forum has a wealth of info.

You can buy new stuff easily, and not invest a huge amount unless you want the "better" brands with a few nicer features.
But you can also be a "frugal" caster & start by shopping for good used stuff. Local auctions, pawn shops, WTB ads in places, etc can get you the basics.
You can get the basics,, (casting furnace, mold(s), & make a few tools & go at it. You'd need a good hardwood mallet for knocking the sprues, and a good pair of leather gloves & safety glasses.
Once you find the alloy (metal) you need,, you'll need a sizer to match your gun bore diameter. You can get a Lee push through sizer,, or invest in a bench lube/sizer unit. You will need different diameter sizing dies too.

One thing that has happened over the last several years is the use of powder coating vs using a wax/grease lube. Most of us who cast are now powder coating INSTEAD of lubing.
It too is easy,, and can be a very small investment.
A Goodwill cheap toaster over, quality powdered paint, A plastic container to put bullets & powder in & shake them. A cheap plastic colander, plastic tub to catch excess paint & you can powder coat.

Now,, if you decide to get SERIOUS & make bullets with plans to use them for serious work, (hunting big game,) then top quality molds, and proper alloy will get you there. I've pretty much quit using any of my Lee molds. I mostly use MP Molds. I have found that their design, as well as their quality is among the absolute best out there.

Basically, there is a LOT of information out there,, and it will take some studying. BUT it can also be fairly easy, and you will learn what YOU need to meet YOUR desires.

I started some years back with the Lyman Big Dipper starter kit, and I consider it a good starting approach. The later purchase of a Lee bottom pour pot quickly turned into a persistent bottom drip pot. I now have an RCBS bottom pour pot that rarely drips, and an RCBS Lube-A-Matic lube/sizer,.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Lots of direction given here guys I'll check things out. I'm not opposed to buying used equipment by any means, I do also plan on powder coating my bullets as I have been buying and shooting them for a few years now and I am sold on them and their performance. I may put an ad in my local paper and see what turns up on the used market and in the meantime i'll do some studying on the subject.
Thanks guys!

contender

Ruger Guru
I wasn't going to say much about the Lee pot & the stories I've heard about the dripping they seem to have a penchant for.
I started with a Lee 10 lb pot.
I now have (2) RCBS 20 lb bottom pour pots,, and a bigger semi-commercial type of caster.
I mostly use the RCBS ones.

And since you are going to PC your bullets,, I'll add a few tips about that.
I use a Star push through sizer,, unless I'm adding a gas check. I have a Saeco set up for GC's. The Star is a LOT nicer than the ones where you pull down, then pull up to get a bullet sized. A little pricier,, but WORTH it.
I have "accumulated" several vibrating tumblers that are normally used for cleaning brass. Instead I use them to vibrate the powder onto the bullets. I use different colors for different calibers,, so I have different tumbler tubs for each color. Toss in the bullets, some powder, cap, turn on, walk away. Come back in 15 minutes, remove cap, dump the now dry coated bullets into a colander sitting in a plastic tub. (I use oil pans.) Shake the excess off & bake. Very easy.

Now another thing.
I see you are in Idaho. If you by chance ever get to Soda Springs,, there is a FINE gentleman there who is well known, (here & other places,) as a good caster, AND would gladly offer help. In 2021,, he went on safari to Africa,, and used only handguns, and his own cast bullets. He duly impressed his PH's with how well he shot AND his ammo. He took a Cape Buffalo with his handgun & his PCed bullets. If you want, I can put y'all together. He's had issues trying to get back on this Forum, (computer stuff,) but a super guy to know.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
The resources others have suggested are spot-on - castboolits.com, the Lyman manual, and the Fryxell book (available in electronic format, which is how I have it.)

Bullet casting adds a whole 'nother dimension to loading your own ammo. I would feel seriously limited without it, especially in my handgun loading. For instance I had been working on loads for a S&W .44 Special of mine recently and all of my loads with 250 grain range bullets were shooting high, even with the rear sight screwed all the way down. One solution would have been a shorter rear sight blade, but my immediate solution was trying some lighter bullets. I cast up some 215 grain SWCs from a Lee mold, loaded over a mid-range charge of 2400, and my first 5-shot cluster was perfect for elevation at 20 yards. Just a small example of the added versatility and opportunities for experimentation that casting affords. Not to mention the potential savings once you're set up. Have you priced jacketed bullets lately? Sheesh! It would pain my thrifty soul to spend that much on bullets just for casual shooting and practice. With casting I can have any of a great variety of bullet styles, weights, etc.. for the price of a new mold. I have all manner of molds, Lyman, RCBS, Mihec, Accurate, and Lee. The Lee's are inexpensive, even in 4 and 6 cavity styles and I've found them to cast excellent bullets - and with their tumble-lube designs you can even forego or delay the purchase of a luber-sizer. A Lee 230 grain truncated cone tumble lube bullet is my go-to for my several .45 ACP 1911s. I could go on and on about the advantages and joys of casting, but the only way to know is to try it for yourself. But be warned -bullet molds can become another addiction. Ask me how I know...

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I followed a bit of everyone's advice here and ordered what I need to get started for 2 different calibers and plan to powder coat them. Startup was about 300.00 as suggested for mostly Lee products so about 3000 bullets cast will put me close to having it paid for as an initial investment. I'm looking forward to getting started. Got the Lyman book coming also and have a buddy that's going to come over and offer some guidance. He's been casting for 50 years or so, so I have an idea he's a wealth of knowledge.

contender

Ruger Guru
Excellent.
I REALLY like the fact you have a friend who can mentor you in the learning curve. That is a big help for sure. Well,,, as long as he's a GOOD caster & can point to his quality of bullets etc. when proven in his guns. :D

Now comes the fun. Finding the alloy to cast with! Lead is getting harder & harder to get "cheap."
Wheel weights used to be an excellent source,, but now we have zinc, steel, & other crap. As a serious caster,, you also become a "scrounger" of metal to make your alloy with.

You don't have to have an electric pot. A cast iron Dutch oven, a turkey fryer and a ladle worked for me for many years. The only reason I moved doing electric pot was so I could move to a more climate controlled environment.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
You don't have to have an electric pot. A cast iron Dutch oven, a turkey fryer and a ladle worked for me for many years. The only reason I moved doing electric pot was so I could move to a more climate controlled environment.
I did it that way years ago when I did round balls. I chose electric for the convenience and ease of a bottom pour.