Wanting to try my hand at casting my own...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Take good notes for me please! I've got all the stuff for casting and powder-coating, just need to retire first. Maybe someday…but I'd love to have your experience available to me when that time comes so I can avoid some headaches. Good luck! And if no one has mentioned it yet, work in a well ventilated area.

dannyd

Hunter
Take good notes for me please! I've got all the stuff for casting and powder-coating, just need to retire first. Maybe someday…but I'd love to have your experience available to me when that time comes so I can avoid some headaches. Good luck! And if no one has mentioned it yet, work in a well ventilated area.
It'a not that hard to cast bullets, so you will be okay. A 25 pound electric pot does not put off that much in fumes; working outside you will have enough ventilation

I don't powder coat tried it and just I am just faster on a Star Sizer.

I shoot about 1,000 rounds per month and in Florida casting season is short. ;)

Duke22

Bearcat
This is a good resource too.

Thanks for posting that - a lot of good info there! As stated before, lead wheel weights are getting hard to find, but I have found that the smaller "mom & pop" family run wrecking yards that deal in mostly older cars are a good source of lead. If you have any around your area, you check them out. Have fun!

dannyd

Hunter
Thanks for posting that - a lot of good info there! As stated before, lead wheel weights are getting hard to find, but I have found that the smaller "mom & pop" family run wrecking yards that deal in mostly older cars are a good source of lead. If you have any around your area, you check them out. Have fun!
I stopped chasing WW about 10 years ago, but did use about 2,400 pounds of WW before doing so. I buy my lead now it's much easier on me cost a little more but I don't have to worry about what it is.

F3F9A8F4-B44B-4C7D-ACFC-9AFDE73971FC.jpeg

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
IMO, I would START by getting a copy of Lymans CAST BULLET HANDBOOK. Lots of info there to be digested. That and the info you get here will lead you down that road. Also, go to: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php and join up, LOTS of good info there also.
I totally second the Lyman handbook, written by a fellow WV native Mike Venturino . It is excellent info , invaluable really.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I have always found top dipping pots to be easier and more effective for best quality bullets. The Black powder long range shooters over near the Sharps factories where I lived in MT seemed to prefer it that way. I think the criticism was leaking and plugging plus top dipping keeps your lead well mixed as you go. I heat my molds by setting them on the edge of the pot. Learning can be frustrating but I recommend having someone who's good at it show you. Once you get a feel for it it's super easy actually. I usually cast with two pots and sometimes 2 molds. Lee molds cast great bullets nothing wrong with them at all. Lyman too. The premium brands are nice but expensive and not necessary unless you really get deep into it. Just learning to get the rhythm down so the bullets are coming out with the grease grooves base and nose filled out is the key. Don't use a lead thermometer or anything just learn it by sight and feel. Without a mentor many people cast a few ugly wrinkled bullets and give up. One afternoon with someone who's good at it will put you on the path to being a good hand almost instantly.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I have always found top dipping pots to be easier and more effective for best quality bullets. The Black powder long range shooters over near the Sharps factories where I lived in MT seemed to prefer it that way. I think the criticism was leaking and plugging plus top dipping keeps your lead well mixed as you go. I heat my molds by setting them on the edge of the pot. Learning can be frustrating but I recommend having someone who's good at it show you. Once you get a feel for it it's super easy actually. I usually cast with two pots and sometimes 2 molds. Lee molds cast great bullets nothing wrong with them at all. Lyman too. The premium brands are nice but expensive and not necessary unless you really get deep into it. Just learning to get the rhythm down so the bullets are coming out with the grease grooves base and nose filled out is the key. Don't use a lead thermometer or anything just learn it by sight and feel. Without a mentor many people cast a few ugly wrinkled bullets and give up. One afternoon with someone who's good at it will put you on the path to being a good hand almost instantly.
I have been reading quite a bit but I haven't really seen how long after pouring that you let it cool before cutting the sprue. I'm sure the composition has a slight effect but 10 seconds or so a decent amount of time before doing it?

contender

Ruger Guru
The time you wait to cut a sprue is a relative thing.
A smaller bullet, will cool quicker than a larger bullet. Wait too long & you will have a little harder time knocking the sprue,, AND your mold will lower it's working temp. Do it too soon, and you get a ragged torn off base where the fill hole is.
Normally, a caster watches the sprue,, and you can easily see it frost over,, I usually count "1, 2" then knock it loose. I watch to see what my bullet bases look like & if I need to adjust my time,, I do so.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
I have been reading quite a bit but I haven't really seen how long after pouring that you let it cool before cutting the sprue. I'm sure the composition has a slight effect but 10 seconds or so a decent amount of time before doing it?
You watch it solidify and cut the spru imediately If you wait to long it is harder to cut and if you wait longer you can easily break wooden handles trying to cut it.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
You'll learn by trial and error mainly. Don't get frustrated. Soon you will be dropping better bullets than you can buy.

Unlike many, I didn't start with Lee molds. I started with RCBS and Lyman 2 cavity cast iron. Highly recommend those and they can be bought used for very reasonable. I mostly use custom or factory premium molds from Accurate, Arsenal, and MP now. Mountain and LBT molds are no longer produced but can be found used. I have never used a NOE, but they seem popular. I only own one Lee mold and it's a special group buy 385gr 475.

I like hardball alloy. Shop the different foundries for the best price as they all offer the same mix.

I tried powder coating for a bit and just wasn't impressed. I have gone back to traditional lube with either RCBS pistol or LBT soft blue lube. I use a Lyman 450 sizer.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
The wife and I cast about 300 bullets yesterday and it was a success!!
I swear she likes it more than I do! I got lucky with this woman in more ways than one, we no doubt started out with all thumbs but managed to get everything figured out by trial and error throughout the process. I may be casted a little too hot but we turned out some extremely nice bullets and I see no reason to ever buy a pistol bullet ever again in any configuration.
Once we got into a nice routine and paid attention to what what causing what we were really putting some bullets down.
I ended up buying 2 molds for now and chose her favorite in .358 and mine in .452.
I chose Lee 6 cavity and I and glad I did, Lee molds are decent quality and will give us great bullets for years to come.
I still need to get with my buddy who's been doing casting forever and have him critique our work, but I consider it a success and we both enjoy it.
Especially the wife!

contender

Ruger Guru
OUTSTANDING,,!!!!!! Oh,, and the casting too!!!!!

Seriously,, it's good when a spouse can enjoy much of the same stuff we do.

Ok, you now have gotten your feet wet a bit in casting. Good! As for casting "too hot" I'd like to offer that it's better to be a little too hot than a little too cold. I keep my PID controller set to 750 for much of my casting. It's what works for me. But occasionally, I have to go higher or lower,, depending upon the mold & the way bullets drop.

By now,, you should have at least studied the part about "Matching the bullet size to your bore". This is where the sizer dies become very important.

Keep us posted on the final results,, the "proof on target" so to speak.

Chief 101

Hunter
I can only say that I wish I could have gotten this much good advice 60 or so years ago when I started...altho it didn't take long to master bullet casting enuf to be able to shoot what I casted and get relatively good at it with a little help from Cast Bullet Handbook...which I think I still have and still reference now and then...the Lyman reloading books are still my favorites.