Wanting to try my hand at casting my own...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I learned how so I could be self-sufficient in a time of great need. All my lead is free but it is drying up fast. Ten years ago, well more than 3/4 of the weights I'd get were lead as opposed to steel, zinc, "foam". After smelting out the clips and trash, I'd end up with just over 50% yield of lead. Now weights are about 1/3 lead so 100 pounds of weights gets you about 20 pounds of lead. Casting is for me the same as reloading. It's not fun or even enjoyable. It's not even a necessity right now. But if I need it, I have it. I had a LAMII and made my own lube. I sold the LAM during CV19 for $400 to someone more desperate than me. I powder coat now. I get it...not the best for an apocalypse but works for me better.

dannyd

Hunter
I learned how so I could be self-sufficient in a time of great need. All my lead is free but it is drying up fast. Ten years ago, well more than 3/4 of the weights I'd get were lead as opposed to steel, zinc, "foam". After smelting out the clips and trash, I'd end up with just over 50% yield of lead. Now weights are about 1/3 lead so 100 pounds of weights gets you about 20 pounds of lead. Casting is for me the same as reloading. It's not fun or even enjoyable. It's not even a necessity right now. But if I need it, I have it. I had a LAMII and made my own lube. I sold the LAM during CV19 for $400 to someone more desperate than me. I powder coat now. I get it...not the best for an apocalypse but works for me better.
Shame on you for what you said "Casting and Handloading not fun" at my age that is the most fun I can have with my clothes on. :)

watashie00

Bearcat
One thing to note,,, I am a really tough,, strong guy (at least I think so),,,, and I cant lift a cast iron skillet full of melted lead,,,, I tried,,, everything after that was bad,,,, I didnt get burned, because in addition to being tough and strong,, Im a champion at the mexican hat dance,,,,, just use a small skillet or pan,,,, nuff said

contender

Ruger Guru
watashie00,, you should never try to lift a heavy pot of molten lead. (I'm betting you won't try that again! :D )

When smelting lead,, I use a big cast iron pot,, but I also use a dipper to transfer molten lead into ingot molds.
Ingot molds get put into my bottom pour casting pot.

watashie00

Bearcat
watashie00,, you should never try to lift a heavy pot of molten lead. (I'm betting you won't try that again! :D )

When smelting lead,, I use a big cast iron pot,, but I also use a dipper to transfer molten lead into ingot molds.
Ingot molds get put into my bottom pour casting pot.
Yeah, I was taking buckets of impact berm debris, melting it for ingots,,,, Its one of those things where you put handful after handful in,,, (nothing else to do on snowy crappy days in colorado) and boy does it add up. Removing the slag, and prepping it for use in an electric lee pot,,, yeah,, small cast iron skillet,,, note to self.
I used an old scuba diving weight mold for the ingots,, worked well. However when stacking lead ingots inside the rafters of the barn,, you must brace the stiffeners in the wall,, or uh,,, they will come down too....

Tune in to next episode of making sure your fire extinguisher is actually full and not just stuck in green,,,,, followed by dont use water on molten lead,, even after if falls in the dirt,,,,, and the lead that went down in the ground still starts fires,,, Lots a goood training on that mental video

contender

Ruger Guru
I had to chuckle at your comments. Many of these things are learned "the hard way" by all too many people.
I'm lucky in that my dipper for my smelting pot holds about 3-1/2 lbs. I can easily fill a couple of 1 lb ingot molds & refill my dipper easily. Plus,, a lot more stirring & fluxing goes on that way.
Old scuba weight molds work fine too! I have 3 different scuba weight molds,, since I used to teach scuba, and made my own. I always used a plastic milk crate to store my dive weights, and NEVER filled the crate, or stacked them anywhere.
I use a different pot to dump my trash & stuff in while smelting. It's an old cast iron fry pan, about 12" diameter. Works very well.
I'm a firm believer in having a couple of fire extinguishers around always,, not just in casting. All my range recovery lead is stored in the dry for weeks prior to smelting. And I start by filling the smelting pot cold, then firing it up. I never put dropped bullets back in the pot when it's hot.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I wasn't going to say much about the Lee pot & the stories I've heard about the dripping they seem to have a penchant for.
I started with a Lee 10 lb pot.
I now have (2) RCBS 20 lb bottom pour pots,, and a bigger semi-commercial type of caster.
I mostly use the RCBS ones.

And since you are going to PC your bullets,, I'll add a few tips about that.
I use a Star push through sizer,, unless I'm adding a gas check. I have a Saeco set up for GC's. The Star is a LOT nicer than the ones where you pull down, then pull up to get a bullet sized. A little pricier,, but WORTH it.
I have "accumulated" several vibrating tumblers that are normally used for cleaning brass. Instead I use them to vibrate the powder onto the bullets. I use different colors for different calibers,, so I have different tumbler tubs for each color. Toss in the bullets, some powder, cap, turn on, walk away. Come back in 15 minutes, remove cap, dump the now dry coated bullets into a colander sitting in a plastic tub. (I use oil pans.) Shake the excess off & bake. Very easy.

Now another thing.
I see you are in Idaho. If you by chance ever get to Soda Springs,, there is a FINE gentleman there who is well known, (here & other places,) as a good caster, AND would gladly offer help. In 2021,, he went on safari to Africa,, and used only handguns, and his own cast bullets. He duly impressed his PH's with how well he shot AND his ammo. He took a Cape Buffalo with his handgun & his PCed bullets. If you want, I can put y'all together. He's had issues trying to get back on this Forum, (computer stuff,) but a super guy to know.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I had to chuckle at your comments. Many of these things are learned "the hard way" by all too many people.
I'm lucky in that my dipper for my smelting pot holds about 3-1/2 lbs. I can easily fill a couple of 1 lb ingot molds & refill my dipper easily. Plus,, a lot more stirring & fluxing goes on that way.
Old scuba weight molds work fine too! I have 3 different scuba weight molds,, since I used to teach scuba, and made my own. I always used a plastic milk crate to store my dive weights, and NEVER filled the crate, or stacked them anywhere.
I use a different pot to dump my trash & stuff in while smelting. It's an old cast iron fry pan, about 12" diameter. Works very well.
I'm a firm believer in having a couple of fire extinguishers around always,, not just in casting. All my range recovery lead is stored in the dry for weeks prior to smelting. And I start by filling the smelting pot cold, then firing it up. I never put dropped bullets back in the pot when it's hot.
Contender
I do believe I met this Gentleman on another forum and have been conversing with him. Very nice Gentlemen by the name Dick Thompkins.
He's a wealth of knowledge and experience in all types of shooting but these day escape pistols. 👍

contender

Ruger Guru
Dick Thompson. And Dick & I are also friends. You are correct,, he's a WEALTH of knowledge, and a great guy. He's the kind of gentleman, when he speaks,, you listen & learn!
Dick is/was a member here. Apparently, he's had some kind of computer issues and can't get on. He said he could re-register, but didn't want to lose his longtime name of "sixshot."

Latest posts