Where did I Go Wrong! CRAP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
I loaded up some .357 cases and went to shooting. I started of with some leftover WWB 110gr SJHPs then I shot my Reloads. They all shot good and all the cases ejected good. No sticking at all.

I just broke down my GP100 and I saw some flame cutting on the Top Strap and erosion on the upper half of the Forcing cone Photos tomorrow, er later today.

Here is my loadout:

My reloads consisted of 12 rounds, 4 groups, 3 rounds in each group. All primers were CCI 550 SPM in a .357 Winchester case. Power was Hodgdon HP-38, Medium Crimp to the Crimp Ring, OAL=1.568

Group #1) 158gr LRNFP, 3.6gr HP-38

Group #2) 158gr LRNFP, 3.9gr HP-38

Group #3) 158gr LRNFP, 4.2gr HP-38

Group #4) 158gr LRNFP, 4.7gr hp-38

Hodgdon Reloading Data gives a range of 3.4gr Min. to 5.0gr for a LSWC.

So where did I screw up? The only thing I can come up with is my medium crimp wasen't so meduim? Good Lord I'm POed! This is my Favorite Handgun......................................

Paul B

Hunter
I don't think it was your handloads. I'd be more inclined to suspect that WWB 110 gr. loads.
I've been reloading .357 Mag. for more years than I care to count and mostly with some very hot loads. My 6" M28 Smith hasn't shown any flame cutting or erosion in the well over 20 yeras I've owned the gun.
Some of the 110 gr. and some 125 gr. ammo was loaded quite hot in years past and may still be.
Paul B.

mraywi

Single-Sixer
Chief, I would bet a good sum of money you are upset over nothing. Hard to believe you are getting flame cutting with just a few loads. Bet you are just now noticing some tool marks that look like a crescent moon that were there from the factory. You just now noticed it.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
If 'flame cutting' is of serious concern, recommend these remedies:
1) Using a soft lead pencil, 'paint' the topstrap area of concern liberally using that soft pencil; the lead/graphite allows the gases and particles to 'skid' off;
2) Do the exact same thing, except use Brownells Action Magic II.
This remedy costs more, but its application is significantly more durable.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Those 110gr Winchesters can do some minor damage like that to a gun. The light short bullets allow hot high pressure gas to escape the cylinder gap. I doubt you have done any significant damage to your gun. Handloading light bullets with slow ball powder like H-110/296 to high pressure levels will make the situation much worse. Your 158gr loads with HP-38 should have no effect on your GP. :D

...Jimbo

GP100man

Buckeye
Cheif

Did ya find it before or after cleanin the area ???

If before ya could be lookin at a little lead build up , if not it`ll take many thousands of rounds before cause of alarm .

contender

Ruger Guru
I have to agree with the folks above in that I do not think you've done damage to the gun. And,, as noted,, I'd suspect the WWB 110's as well IF there is actual flame cutting.
Your reloads look just fine to me. If you were "over-crimping" you'd notice it AND it might crumple cases.

Paul B

Hunter
GP100man":2lex1iyj said:
Cheif

Did ya find it before or after cleanin the area ???

If before ya could be lookin at a little lead build up , if not it`ll take many thousands of rounds before cause of alarm .

Good thought. it could be a mix of lead andpowder and lube residue although I would have to see it before I decided. A good well lit picture would go a long way toward figuring this out.
FWIW, those relatively light loads of HP-38 aren't the cause. You could probably shoot those till hell froze over and not get any significant flame cutting.
Paul B.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Flame cutting is something that happens to S&Ws and Taurus guns, not Rugers! :D

It takes a lot of high volume shooting to do damage to most any gun, I never take it easy with my GP and its as solid as they day I bought it new.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Agree completely with everyone else. I doubt you've done any damage, and if you have, it has nothing to do with your reloads, which are very mild.

DGW1949

Hunter
Show me flame cutting and I'll show you short bullets & ball powder.
That aint gospel but it's a dern-good rule of thumb.

DGW.....who (after 35+ years) still refuses to use either.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Well, no more WWB 110gr .357 for me anymore. Here are some Pics...........................

6-6-10ee.jpg

6-6-10ff.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Can't be sure from the pic, but that almost looks to me like lead/powder buildup, not cutting of the steel. Seen things that look like that many times on my guns. Hit it with some Hoppe's and a wire brush and see what happens.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mattsbox99":1c6n6our said:
Flame cutting is something that happens to S&Ws and Taurus guns, not Rugers!

Hi,

Guess I should check my Bisley more closely. Somehow I THOUGHT it said "Ruger" on the side! ;)

Yeah, it can happen to Rugers. I think a run of 125s over 296 would be the prime suspect in my case, as 1000s of rounds using 158s over various powders never did any damage. My GP, which hasn't seen any of those loads, shows no damage.

Now for the good news: I've read and been told "flame cutting" is a self-limiting phenomenon in most cases. My experience leads me to agree. But the pencil lead solution's still a good one for those who worry...

Rick C

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Snake45":cljbkggi said:
Can't be sure from the pic, but that almost looks to me like lead/powder buildup, not cutting of the steel. Seen things that look like that many times on my guns. Hit it with some Hoppe's and a wire brush and see what happens.

I let it soak overnite with Hoppe's9 and Aerokriol and I hit it again with the solvent and scrubb the heck out of it with a Brass Brush ( Not the Bore Brush ) It looks like pitting on the top strap and around the forcing cone................................................

What was the purpose of Winchester mating 110gr boolits to magnum loads?...........................

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Rick Courtright":1f014dnw said:
mattsbox99":1f014dnw said:
Flame cutting is something that happens to S&Ws and Taurus guns, not Rugers!

Hi,

Guess I should check my Bisley more closely. Somehow I THOUGHT it said "Ruger" on the side! ;)

Yeah, it can happen to Rugers. I think a run of 125s over 296 would be the prime suspect in my case, as 1000s of rounds using 158s over various powders never did any damage. My GP, which hasn't seen any of those loads, shows no damage.

Now for the good news: I've read and been told "flame cutting" is a self-limiting phenomenon in most cases. My experience leads me to agree. But the pencil lead solution's still a good one for those who worry...

Rick C

I'll remember to stay away from light boolits, I perfer the heavy ones anyway. I bought these Winchesters last year when there wasen't much of a choice. I bought what was availible, no more of that crap fer sure..........................

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Chief_10Beers":1mp1kb8l said:
What was the purpose of Winchester mating 110gr boolits to magnum loads?...........................

Hi, Chief

If I remember the last box of WWBs w/ 110s I saw, they were marked "Personal Defense" somewhere on the box.

I THINK that may have been a marketing thing in response to the never ending "discussions" about stopping power, over penetration, and all kinds of things that are seen on computer screens far more frequently than in real life?

It's arguable, I know...

Rick C

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Rick Courtright":3a7ygc7c said:
Chief_10Beers":3a7ygc7c said:

Hi, Chief

If I remember the last box of WWBs w/ 110s I saw, they were marked "Personal Defense" somewhere on the box.

I THINK that may have been a marketing thing in response to the never ending "discussions" about stopping power, over penetration, and all kinds of things that are seen on computer screens far more frequently than in real life?

It's arguable, I know...

Rick C

Oh I get it now, Marked "Personal Protection" ( I'm looking at the Box ) and they jacked the price up. IIRC, I paid $32 ( 50ct ) for it last year at WM.......................

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I'm a little late to this but IMHO the 110 gr loads are the cause, your loads are like many that I shoot without any problems. I was given several boxes of the Win 110 gr load some years ago and I just don't shoot them.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Cherokee":1x0zf2mf said:
I'm a little late to this but IMHO the 110 gr loads are the cause, your loads are like many that I shoot without any problems. I was given several boxes of the Win 110 gr load some years ago and I just don't shoot them.

That clinches it, no more Win. 110gr Magnums............................