Acquired a Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HogMaintainer

Bearcat
Several years back I inherited this 'old model' SS from my grandfather. At the time, I knew nothing about Ruger revolvers and didn't show much interest in it because it was a 22, very silly of me I know. Fast forwarding to now, I finally went out and shot it for the first time since 2014, it was a blast! It also turns out it is un-converted. I believe this gun was made between 62-68. I will have to get the S/N a little later because I couldn't find much on it.

Attachments

• 20230705_194751.jpg
    20230705_194751.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 121
You might want to clean it really well, I inherited one from my father years back and came down with a raging case of Ruger-itis that I've been battling ever since, still flares up several times a year, there is no cure and the only known treatment is buying more Rugers which can cause a secondary condition of hemorrhaging money from your wallet

welcome to the forum , and let us know what the serial number is ( you can always block the last digit or two) we can help you determine just when...good point above, a good cleaning, keep it simple if you are not familiar with them,,,just remove the wood grip panels and you can soak it in kerosene, works wonders........let it soak at least overnight, blow it all off and out with an air hose,,,spray it down with a good oil, blow off that excess, swab out the bore and the chambers, you'll be good to go,put the wood grip panels back on...we just did one last week ,sat in someone 'backroom' since the mid 60s, and she looks, works ,like a charm,,,made them happy campers...
what kind of "hogs" do you 'maintain' ?? feral, farm or Harley Davidsons??:cool::rolleyes:;)

KIR

Sparks, NV
Congrats on your inheritance. Did yours come with an extra cylinder for .22 Magnum ammo?
I purchased mine in 1967 when it was manufactured. A few years later, I took my oldest son out in the desert for some practice. I placed three cans up for targets and he couldn't even come close to hitting any of them. He did not know I first loaded the pistol with blank ammo. I then aimed the gun at the center can and when it went off, the two cans on each side were knocked over and BOTH had small holes in them. I later told him about the blank ammo.
Many years later when he came to visit me he asked me for the gun as it was something he always would have a remembrance of me and our day out in the desert.

HogMaintainer

Bearcat
Congrats on your inheritance. Did yours come with an extra cylinder for .22 Magnum ammo?
I purchased mine in 1967 when it was manufactured. A few years later, I took my oldest son out in the desert for some practice. I placed three cans up for targets and he couldn't even come close to hitting any of them. He did not know I first loaded the pistol with blank ammo. I then aimed the gun at the center can and when it went off, the two cans on each side were knocked over and BOTH had small holes in them. I later told him about the blank ammo.
Many years later when he came to visit me he asked me for the gun as it was something he always would have a remembrance of me and our day out in the desert.
Unfortunately, I don't have the magnum cylinder. But if I can find one, I want to get it. Awesome memories! 👍Wish my grandfather was around to shoot with.

welcome to the forum , and let us know what the serial number is ( you can always block the last digit or two) we can help you determine just when...good point above, a good cleaning, keep it simple if you are not familiar with them,,,just remove the wood grip panels and you can soak it in kerosene, works wonders........let it soak at least overnight, blow it all off and out with an air hose,,,spray it down with a good oil, blow off that excess, swab out the bore and the chambers, you'll be good to go,put the wood grip panels back on...we just did one last week ,sat in someone 'backroom' since the mid 60s, and she looks, works ,like a charm,,,made them happy campers...
what kind of "hogs" do you 'maintain' ?? feral, farm or Harley Davidsons??:cool::rolleyes:;)
I like Automatic Transmission Fluid. That stuff creeps in and loosens things up. I've filled a few seized engines over the years that fired up after a week after draining and filling with proper oil.

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos on a sweet handgun. Lots of good info above.

If you are a guy working on A-10's,,, you'll fit right in around here! LOTS of us are some form of aviator or have been. And the A-10 is a very respected aircraft!

Now that, I should have thought of, as my nephew recently retired USMC and was a "Harrier" crew chief out there in Yuma ,Az........ between there and Iwakune ,Japan,,,,, bless his little heart,,,,and bless yours too......(y)(y)
I recall my brother in law who was on the Enterprise back in the Gulf of Tonkin ( two tours) later telling us one of the 'troops" favorites was the Warthog, and my GE guys loved the C-130s with ALL them 'gatling guns" and such.......neat stuff

Again, welcome aboard.........:cool:;)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Congrats, a very nice heirloom to inherit. If you can dig up the serial number we can pin down the year for you. But you got the approximate range. After '62 with its slightly larger XR3-RED grip frame. And well into the convertible cyl range with its slightly larger barrel bore for the .22 Mag.

Last edited:

wproct

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum! You have a very nice revolver. I just love the older 3-screw Rugers. Love to hear them sing when you work the action. 😊