Acquired a Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Thank you for looking that up. Ah, so that may be why I don't have one....

SPLITZ sez: If your bore diameter does not allow/sanction use of 22 mag ammo, thus no extra mag cylinder for that as a five digit SN vintage gun(Unless you covered two digits and the serial is 244xxx, as there were a VERY small number of Single Sixes made in that range that were convertibles...I owned 244301 at one time)

Last edited:

HogMaintainer

Bearcat
If your gun has a 6 digit serial number Ruger would have retrofitted a magnum cylinder if requested. Guns that had a serial number 150000 or lower had the smaller .22lr barrel diameter and consequently they would not fit a magnum cylinder.
Mine is 6 digit, but I'm sure it was never fitted for one is my guess.

HogMaintainer

Bearcat
So I was digging through my things and I found the matching magnum cylinder for my gun! Lucky me because I was gonna buy one.

chet15

Hawkeye
Rare gun in that SN block and they were all convertibles..........244020 to 244318(1962) pg. 71-72 in Hiddleson's REFERENCE OF RUGER FIREARMS, Single Six Convertibles
Not all of the 244xxx range guns were convertibles. Gotta go to the LR only series in the Ruger Reference... there were around 130 of the 244xxx range that were shipped as RSS5W LR only.
Regardless... that is a desireable gun!!
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
That's a rare one indeed, in the Lightweight range but not a Lightweight. I have 244064, a convertible in about 98% condition and a 4 digit valuation.

The bulk of the 2xxxxx SN range was reserved for the 1950's Lightweight Single Sixes with aluminum alloy cylinder frames. Ruger seemed to have started to reuse that range in the early 1960s with these guns, then changed their mind and switched to the 4xxxxx range (because the 3xxxxx range was reserved for the 6.5" RSSM and RSSMX). In later years, there were some other barrel lengths in the upper 3xxxxx range but only that brief burst of non-Lightweights in the 2xxxxx range. After 4xxxxx was exhausted, they jumped to 8xxxxx because the 5xxxxx range was reserved for adjustable sight Super Single Sixes and they probably thought those would just keep going into 6xxxxx and 7xxxxx but GCA68 dashed those plans by requiring every serial number from a manufacturer to ID one and only one gun, so Ruger complied with the prefixed numbers starting in 1969.

HogMaintainer

Bearcat
Thank you for explaining some of the history. I am definitely holding onto the gun. I didn't realize how rare some of these were. Mine is a shooter and will continue being my plinker.