Authentic single six 17 hmr/mach 2?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Hi, going out shopping..saw a single six, blue, with both cylinders.

How can I tell if the mach 2 cylinder was an original ruger convertible cylinder with the gun or an aftermarket mach 2 cylinder?

9x19

Hunter
If there's no box or end label to show the model number, you can look up the serial number on Ruger's site and it will tell you which model it shipped as.

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Looked s/n up on ruger site. Says discontinued model(correct specs) but doesn't say convertible or not. I guess the one I saw was a 17hmr with aftermarket 17 mach2cylinder.

Probably not worth taking a chance on since it was the mach 2 I was really interested in a revolver. Taurus is too big with too short 2" barrel. Oh well, I'll keep looking!

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
I've had several of the stainless convertibles and have installed some Borchardt cylinders in the ones that weren't convertable. (Blue in a stainless gun) I still have a M-2 cylinder if you need a picture of the aftermarket one.

To my knowledge they never made a blued conversion model.

s4s4u

Hunter
Doesn't Ruger still mark convertible cylinders with the last 3 of the serial #?

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
I've had several of the stainless convertibles and have installed some Borchardt cylinders in the ones that weren't convertable. (Blue in a stainless gun) I still have a M-2 cylinder if you need a picture of the aftermarket one.

To my knowledge they never made a blued conversion model.
Yes, please if you message me a picture of the mach 2 conversion cylinder. The one I'm looking at looks unused, did it require gunsmith fitting?

Thanks much!

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Factory Ruger .17M2 cylinders will also have a caliber rollmark around the cylinder.
Chet15
Thank you, that answers it. The cylinder just has "17-M 2" lengthways on it, no around the cylinder roll mark like typical Ruger cylinders. Must be an aftermarket. If I they let it go for a good price it might be worth it.

Thanks all, having forums like here lets us dip into a wealth of knowledge, something not available when I first started buying "unique" guns!

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
The blue is the Borchardt cylinder and the stainless Ruger cylinder. I've fitted several of the blued cylinders they just took a little stoning but nothing was required with the timing. Ruger never made a combo unit in blue to my knowledge.

Attachments

• IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3761.jpeg
    IMG_3761.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 12

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer

wproct

Single-Sixer
I briefly owned a stainless steel Single-six Hunter in .17HMR and .17M2, 7 1/2 inch bbl I think. I didn't own it long as it was quite heavy and I just wouldn't shoot it enough to warrant having it. It was used and I bought it on a whim, at the time I was really big on the .17M2 cartridge.