Field and Stream 50 best rifles.. No. 1 auctions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

singleshot

Single-Sixer
So other than the .303, are these rifles normally cataloged rifles with what appears to be a sticker and a letter?

These are on GB right now, with a long long way till the end of the auction...

singleshot

Single-Sixer
Sorry bout that Chad...

It appears that Field and Stream has a bunch of No. 1's on gunbroker listed as 1 of 1 benefit auction guns. I was looking through them to see if any were odd and all I saw different than my memory could summize was the .303. They also all come with a 1 of 1 certificate (which I should have stated instead of "letter").

But my memory shot, so I was asking if these guns were/are cataloged guns and other than what appears to be a sticker (which could be engraving) on the receiver, is there anything that jumps out as an odd-ball..?

thanks

singleshot

chet15

Hawkeye
These make me wonder if Ruger had a hand in this production. There area a couple models there that would not seem to be there were it not for a hand from Ruger.
The engraving looks more like Baron's "selective gold layering" than true gold inlay, and if they were done by Baron, would give even more credence to the Ruger factory having something to do with the end products, although the box labels do not indicate this.
I see there are a few calibers missing also that have been made through Ruger's #1 History (.338 Win, .416 Rem, .416 Rigby, 9.3x74R, .404 Jeffrey, .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .264 Win, .30-30, .450/400 NE, .450 NE, .257 Roberts, .458 Win. etc. etc. don't forget the PPC's).
Chet15

picketpin

Buckeye
My take, sort of the Franklin Mint version of a #1. My personal axium is that "Things made to be rare and collected, on purpose, seldom are."

I personally would NOT bid a premium but if I could get something I wanted to shoot at a reasonable price, I might bid on one. As they didn't make the 257 Roberts it's much less likely. ;-)

Ross

chet15

Hawkeye
I think the RSI .303 and K1B-BBZ in 7mmSTW ought to bring good premiums though. There's only 19 of the RSI .303's (only 18 unadulterated as far as is known) and that STW is very recent production, apparently a rare cleanup of that barreled action.
Chet15

singleshot

Single-Sixer
Well, there are three or four people who are collectors that got into these auctions... I think there are two who bought 3, one who bought 4.... One guy that bought 3 had 3 or 4 other auctions where he was only beat out by a couple bucks..

The .303 didn't go as high as I thought it would....