Hoppes or Ballistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Since it was brought up about using Hoppe's as a cologne, I'll share a little.

Decades ago,, not long after Miss Penny & I had gotten together,, I was in my gun room, cleaning a gun. She came in & asked; "What's that smell?" Thinking,, "Uh-Oh,, she doesn't like this," I replied; "Hoppe's #9." She said; "It smells good, I like it. Why don't you clean your guns in the living room?"
I knew I had a keeper.
Nowadays,, if I will disassemble them, she will clean them. She likes the smell!
You took the words right out of my mind/mouth Contender... the exact same scenario occurred with my wife and me.... It 'cemented' the deal in my mind. Although, I have to admit that all these years later, she's not as keen on it as she used to be... :oops:

J.

Hooch

Blackhawk
I quit using Hoppes years ago…. Can't say I've ever used Ballistol but have thought about giving it a try. My concoction that was given to me by a good friend of mine who does alot of long range is a 50/50 mixture of Shooters Choice with a product called KROIL. Works superbly!!! He gave me a small jar of it to try and it lifted gunk out of "clean" barrels etc so I started using it solely.

hittman

Staff member
Kroil is hard to find around here but it's worth the search. About 5 times better than WD40.
Only Fastenal here has it, You can only buy it by the single spray can if a case happens to get broken open by mistake. Local factories and such buy it there but only in case lots and they'll reject a case if it's been opened.
Pretty expensive though.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I buy Kroil on Amazon for my old tractors and equipment. I use Rem Oil on my firearms for cleaning and lube.

Kroil has a very pleasant smell, but strong.

gnappi

Blackhawk
a long time ago, I tried to convince my wife to allow me to use a spare bedroom as a motorcycle engine assembly room.
She said no.
I wonder if Hoppes would have helped?
When I was single I just about always had a 65/66 six cylinder Mustang engine on my kitchen table. My dad's barn had a few whole Mustangs as parts cows.

J. Yuma

Bearcat
don-cha just love them inline 6's?!

Attachments

• 4A2B1DC0-FF1E-4EC5-A144-21363B19E68F.jpeg
    4A2B1DC0-FF1E-4EC5-A144-21363B19E68F.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 93E28383-FB88-4739-92F2-196F88AD47CB.jpeg
    93E28383-FB88-4739-92F2-196F88AD47CB.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 19
Ballistol all day long. Have used others over the years and always come back to ballistol. Works fantastic in my Sonic cleaner as well. (Ballistol Milk). I also use the Milk to as a light lube. I clean all my magazines in the sonic cleaner. The Ballistol makes them very slick almost slippery besides just cleaning. Great for Black Powder as well. I buy Ballistol by the gallon.

Great light lube (Milk) This is fantastic to clean out trigger groups etc. Flushes out crude, but leaves a very light thin coat of lubricant.
f70vMwE.jpg

9S69oYq.jpg

If you have a dog and it gets HOT spots, Ballistol does wonders for healing. (I will just use straight ballistol in most cases)

5bCusMf.jpg

That said, I will use this on Barrels. No scrubbing and looks like a brand new barrel when finished.
jrOpYyl.jpg

Here is my sonic Cleaner with Ballistol. Crude will come out and move to the top. Underneath is clean. I use a turkey baster to take out the crude and resume the ballistol milk.
uUCb7J1.jpg

Last edited:

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
In the seventies and early eighties, I had a thick piece of tempered glass resting on top of a 327 Chevy in the living room while I was putting it together. As long as there were no heads, or both heads on it, the glass would sit level and I could sit back and contemplate my next purchase. It did smell like Fluid Film, but nobody ever complained. Beer drinking Marines have better things to worry about.

Like to hear some thoughts about either.
My wife won't let me change from Hoppe's!! Lol third generation user. Kinda like the Old Spice commercial.
I use it and let it do the work, a wet patch a day until no more green. Muzzle down on a pad of paper towel. My best barrels only about 4 strokes and their clean. The real stubborn ones I mix #9 with jewelers rouge to a paste and a couple of strokes on a patch and plastic brush. Once in a blue moon have used Sweets. For cleaning other parts CLP. For lube, depending on temp 5w20 to 20w50 Castrol dinosaur oil. It works for me and my shooting regimen.

Huntfish918

Bearcat
Hoppe's #9 as a solvent, if necessary.
Y'all need to try Corrossion-X oil. It's the only lubricant that NEVER dissipates. It's also like BreakFree CLP in that it cleans and lubes.

Rclark

Hunter
Never used anything other than Hoppes #9. It always worked just fine, which gave me no reason to try something else. Unlike some here, my wife dislikes the smell ... so have to pick my times to clean :) . Then some normal gun oil to finish the job.

KIR

Sparks, NV
I too have always used Hoppes, but don't remember why I started with it. DBNoise: As for Old Spice, when my dad moved out he left a bottle which I used for awhile as I was at the age of beginning to shave. Not adverse to trying something new, through the years, I went through, Bay Rum, Ice Blue, Jade East and English Leather. During the 70's I got tired of cold after shaves that stung if I had nicked myself, due to the alcohol content and switched to a non-alcoholic creme. I was very happy when I retired and I didn't have to shave everyday, but only keep a 5 o'clock shadow whenever I do shave. Despite all these changes, I STILL use Hoppes on my firearms!!!

I too have always used Hoppes, but don't remember why I started with it.

Probably because that's all there was! 😂

When I got into firearms, Hoppe's was "the" powder solvent. There were certainly others, but Hoppe's had the name recognition.

Ballistol had been around for decades, but I don't even remember seeing it until I got interested in black powder shooting.

Depends. For copper or lead fouling Hoppes. Black Powder and long term protection Ballistol.
I agree with Hvymax on this one. While I use Hoppe's on my modern day guns, I prefer Ballistol on my flints and blackpowder weapons. I like to mix 6 parts water to one part Ballistol and make "Moose Milk." It is wonderful for breaking down the black powder residue and cleans along with lubing.