Let's Have Some Fun... Post A Gun Related Meme, Or Tell A Gun Related Joke.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hedrok

Single-Sixer
Frank was excited about his new rifle…so he went bear hunting. He spotted a small brown bear and shot it. There was a tap on his shoulder. Frank turned around to see a big black bear. The black bear said "You've got 2 choices…either I maul you to death or we have sex.
Frank decided to bend over and, even though he felt sore for 2 weeks, he recovered…but, he vowed revenge.
The next season he headed out on another trip where he found the same black bear and he shot it. There was another tap on his shoulder. This time there was a huge grizzly bear standing right behind him. "Either I maul you to death or we have rough sex. Again, Frank thought it was better to comply.
And, Frank survived…although it took several months to fully recover.
Outraged, he headed back to the woods and managed to track down that damned grizzly! He shot it. He felt sweet revenge…but, there was a tap on his shoulder. He turned to find a giant polar bear standing right there!! The polar bear said "Admit it, Frank…You dont come here for the hunting, do you?"

Last edited:

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Attention all those playing Name That Car: It's come to my attention that it is NOT a George Barris design at all, it came from the almost-as-famous Harry Bentley Bradley. It IS/WAS a Toronado, though.

I apologize for any confusion my error caused.

Ride1949

Hunter
16856659455437579193213661424608.jpg

RSIno1

Hunter
Very Most Way Cool! I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she has ear plugs in, but she still needs eye protection.
C'mon it's the 60s judging from the custom Toronado in the background. We scoffed at those things.....

Not the Esso but close - https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/esso-67-x/
Barris also built this Toronado - https://www.dragoneclassic.com/stories/the-kings-chariot-1967-oldsmobile-toronado-mannix-roadster
A friend in San Diego owns the Mannix Dodge Dart.

Last edited:

Snake45

C'mon it's the 60s judging from the custom Toronado in the background. We scoffed at those things.....

Not the Esso but close - https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/esso-67-x/
Barris also built this Toronado - https://www.dragoneclassic.com/stories/the-kings-chariot-1967-oldsmobile-toronado-mannix-roadster
A friend in San Diego owns the Mannix Dodge Dart.
My google-fu was very strong last night and I did some more research. It IS a Toronado. It is NOT a Barris backbirth (see post #247). The painting dates to the early '70s. And there's some question as to whether it was ever an actual real car, or just a paper design. The jury is still out on that.

RSIno1

Hunter
Barris is not well thought of in the car community today. In addition to the kind of behavior you mentioned, he's infamous for stealing credit for custom cars he had nothing to do with. You'd recognize some of them if I were in the mood to name names.
George was an ace promoter and had a gift of the gab. His brother Sam had all the car building talent. George was a wizard at creating "bondo cars" for the movie industry. His most historic build was mainly just a repainted Lincoln concept car called the Batmobile. It was fashionable to drive a "Barris" car for the Hollywoodites most have not survived the test of time. He was famous for using door pulls and fluorescent light grids on his builds. You had to go over the hill to Dean Jefferies shop to see some real talent in design and build. He's the guy who repurposed the GTO from I Dream of Jeanne into the Monkeemobile. He was also drafted by Shelby to go with Phil Remington to Dearborn and redesign the body of the J Car (after it killed Ken Miles). In 2 weeks he had created a new more aerodynamic shape and built the body of the 67 LeMans winning Mark IV Ford GT.
I will admit I bought a few items at the Barris estate garage sale but mainly went to take the grandson to see some cars - orig Batmobile & Munster Koach and a few early builds mainly by his brother. I did buy his Minox spy camera - I can imagine him whipping it out of his pocket to snap a couple shots of something that gave him a "new idea".
Here is a car Sam built while he was still partnered with his brother - https://www.mecum.com/lots/487726/1951-hirohata-mercury-custom/
It holds the record for price paid for a custom.

Snake45

You had to go over the hill to Dean Jefferies shop to see some real talent in design and build. He's the guy who repurposed the GTO from I Dream of Jeanne into the Monkeemobile.
First time I've heard that story. I heard that Jim Wangers set it up for Pontiac to supply two new '66 GTO convertibles to customize for The Monkees TV show.

I don't remember any specific cars from I Dream of Jeannie. Of course I wasn't watching Jeannie for cars, if you get my drift. ;) :LOL:

RSIno1

Hunter
First time I've heard that story. I heard that Jim Wangers set it up for Pontiac to supply two new '66 GTO convertibles to customize for The Monkees TV show.

I don't remember any specific cars from I Dream of Jeannie. Of course I wasn't watching Jeannie for cars, if you get my drift. ;) :LOL:
Here's a pretty good history and why the Barris confusion exists - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeemobile

I prefer "Jeannie's" choice in cars. She and Michael Ansara lived close to us for awhile in the early 70s. The phone lines would always light up when there was a sighting of Miss San Francisco 1951.

Attachments

• eden.jpg
    eden.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 88
  • MER69a0dfc524b1b9b8aab58dd7b747d_eden0212.jpg
    MER69a0dfc524b1b9b8aab58dd7b747d_eden0212.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 90

Mike J

Hunter
I met Barris at a car show. He didn't want to talk to fans. He wouldn't sign your model kit if you didn't buy it there at the car show.

R. Lee Ermy was at the show the day before (missed him) and I was told by the show promoter that Ermy made time for every fan, cracking jokes, and posing for pictures. He stayed long past his scheduled appearance time because he insisted that he meet all of his fans who were waiting.

I have no experience with Barris. I met R. Lee Ermey about 13 or 14 years ago. My oldest daughter & her little boy cousin (a month younger than her were here). The little boy liked watching Mail Call. I saw online that R. Lee Ermey was going to be at a local gun shop so I loaded them up & took them to meet him. We each got an autographed picture. He was very nice. Both of the kids are 18 now & not altogether 100% sure about who he was but they both still have the pictures & think they are cool.

Snake45

Here's a pretty good history and why the Barris confusion exists - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeemobile

I prefer "Jeannie's" choice in cars. She and Michael Ansara lived close to us for awhile in the early 70s. The phone lines would always light up when there was a sighting of Miss San Francisco 1951.
Did some research and found out that a '66 GTO convertible--a blue one--did appear in one episode of Jeannie, so it's entirely possible that that car became one of the two original Monkeemobiles. Thanks for sending me down a rather interesting rathole of Movie/TV Car Trivia. I have a friend who will be very interested in that fact. ;)

BTW, couple years ago I restored the original, first-issue MPC kit of the Monkeemobile I built back in 1967. The kit has been reissued several times over the years, but the original issue had a couple details that were eliminated for the various reissues. I have nice before-and-after photos of mine, but that's a story for another time, if you're interested. ;)

Snake45

Snake45 now it's clear! Too much Testors tube time.... 🤪
I bought my last tube of Testor tube glue sometime in the late '70s. Thought I might need it someday, for something. It's still unopened, somewhere. I now use six or eight different other kinds of glues and cements these days, NONE of them anything like tube glue. ;)