New to me MkIII first run

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hertervillian

Saluki
Not exactly as I'd hoped. First mag it was a single shot, stove pipes, fail to fire, fail to extract, it didn't miss a trick. Ran a few from second mag it did hit twice in a row. Had some TriFlow in the truck so I hosed it down good.

It started hitting more often, but still absolute failure. More lube more exercises, it's getting better. Now I start to notice lots of fine grit running out of it. 200 rounds of Browning 40 grain stuff later, I just gave up on it. One full mag ran correctly.

Now the positive news. Disassembled and literally washed it out with hot water and laundry detergent. Looked like a quarter teaspoon of fine sand in the wash pan. The gun looked clean as a pin in the showcase, but wasn't. Dried it with hot air and lubed it a bit. Reassembly went surprisingly well, I'd avoided the MkIII because of all the hard luck stories about putting them back together. I did consult the manual many times, none of it was intuitive.

Tomorrow is another day in the adventure

Attachments

• IMG_5357.jpeg
    IMG_5357.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 39

Hertervillian

Saluki
Remington Thunderbolts do that in ALL my guns.
Gave up on them a long time ago. Consistently inconsistent. I'm going to root around for different ammo before I get out there again.

It felt so tight and rough, I can't help but believe it simply needed cleaned.

Hertervillian

Saluki
Took a good look at the Brownings I'd chosen. In fine print it says they may not reliably cycle semi autos.

Hertervillian

Saluki
I'll try that, thanks.

I found some Federal bulk copper washed down in the "magazine". It has been better than most stuff in a Neos, and a Marlin as far as reliability.

Blazers, Federal AutoMatch, Federal HVHP, Aguila, even some 30 year old Remington 'Golden Bullet' stuff all work well--the only issues are caused by sub-sonic or low noise type ammo.
If you flushed out that much grit, the gun should work fine.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Try CCI Mini Mags, 40gr, 1235 fps. Common and easy to find. $11 per 100 here.

4750 rounds of it through my Mk II. Not a single failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject.

Last fired it this Sunday in a Silhouette match:

IMG_4389.jpeg

Last edited:

mjh

Single-Sixer
My MK III ran very well and was very accurate. I ended up selling it to finance a revolver. Eventually picked up a MK IV, not enough range time yet to compare reliability and accuracy--did end up putting in Volquartsen extractor---maybe more Volquartsen parts down the road. MK III was always stock.

Best of luck working out the bugs....lets hope the cleaning washed 'em out.....

Hertervillian

Saluki
Update on my new bestie.

It ran on everything… except the Browning Pro 22. They did warn me, so I'm not holding a grudge. From Winchester Wildcat to CCI Minimags, Fed bulk, Rem Thunderbolts. Like a fat kid with a bag of Oreos.

Of course it can't have issues, I mean it is mine. Rear site fell right off, clunk right on the table. The hinge pin was working out too. Cleaned the screw with some naptha and put it on farmer tight.

Tomorrow is another day, in this adventure.
IMG_5372.jpeg

althor

Bearcat
Remington Thunderbolts do that in ALL my guns.
I didn't know there was so much hate directed toward Remington Thunderbolts until I started reading this forum. For years it has been my go-to for various semi-auto pistols (MKII, SR22, P22, etc..) and a couple of Ruger American Rimfires. CCI Mini Mags are my favorite, but I have had great luck with the Thunderbolts.

The most unreliable for ignition seem to be a few versions of Federal. Lately, I've been having a few duds with the Mini Mags from time to time. Go figure.

Ultimately I guess you need to find what works in your particular gun.

Hertervillian

Saluki
I think it comes and goes with different lots, my problem with them was probably 12-15 yrs ago. But, when you buy a few 1000 the problem lasts a long time.

Federal, interesting observation today, had several that failed to fire. Guess my memory of them being gtg is just that a memory. 1600 of them to work through now. I need a 13 yr old boy, they live for that stuff it seems.:)

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't think the word "hate" is as accurate as it may seem when it comes to describing the Thunderbolt ammo.

However,, many people have found that it, and some other ammo can be much less than desirable in THEIR guns. Heavy wax, mis-fires, dirty actions, problems feeding seem to be more prevalent in some guns vs others.

But it's also seen in most other brands as well occasionally.

As noted above,, it has also "come & gone" in various batches over the decades. Quality control vs the need to make production has occasionally allowed less than good ammo pass through.

And instead of scrapping poorer quality ammo,, they re-label it under their "cheaper" line,, where more folks "accept" it & buy it, & don't complain to the companies. Since the internet,, many people do complain about Brand X, over Brand Y in open forums that reaches a lot more people.
Heck,, I recall growing up,, I'd buy the better quality stuff for my "hunting" and cheap stuff for knock around plinking ammo. If I had a "bad" one,, I'd just throw it away.

Basically; "Ultimately I guess you need to find what works in your particular gun."