Pros/cons for 9mm vs 357 revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Evening, been looking for revolver in either 2 3 4 inch barrel. Considering 357/38 or 9mm. Pros of 9mm is much more affordable and readily available. Cons: higher recoil?(haven't shot 9mm Revolver before) And most revolvers require moon clips which is just another piece of equipment to bend or lose when needed. Any further advice on such conundrum?

RC44Mag

Buckeye
9mm should have heavier recoil then .38 special but certainly not higher then .357. Moon clips are really inexpensive. You shouldn't need more then one or two full moon clips in addition to a loaded cylinder not to mention cheaper, easier to load, smaller, lighter to carry and not as expensive as speed loaders.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
9mm ammo will be cheaper. Moon clips aren't all that bad. Recoil is stout but inbetween 38 and 357.

38/357 revolvers will give you the option of shooting full power 357 or powder puff 38s.

My first revolvers were a 2" and 3" 9mm SP101. I didn't reload at that time and it was handy to be able to get cheaper ammo. I sold those two many years ago and don't miss them at all. I'm not against 9mm revolvers but have no interest in them now.

FLgun

Single-Sixer
9mm ammo will be cheaper. Moon clips aren't all that bad. Recoil is stout but inbetween 38 and 357.

38/357 revolvers will give you the option of shooting full power 357 or powder puff 38s.

My first revolvers were a 2" and 3" 9mm SP101. I didn't reload at that time and it was handy to be able to get cheaper ammo. I sold those two many years ago and don't miss them at all. I'm not against 9mm revolvers but have no interest in them now.
I was looking at the SP101 2 3 and 4 inch. Any particular reason you don't miss them? If you could go back or get them again would you get it in 357/38 this time? Or not recommend that specific Revolver for one reason or another ?

FLgun

Single-Sixer
"Primarily" helps some, but not 100%. Do you plan to EVER carry it concealed, or as a backup gun for hunting?
Not a hunter. Could be concealed and self defense choice. That's why I was looking at 3 inch … best of both accuracy and concealed choices in one ?? Just thought the need for moon clips could be another issue if you needed them in a rush and they could be bent or lost compared to just dropping in 357/38 rounds from a speed loader.. or is that a VERY far out there scenario.. given fact most of us hopefully would ever be in a situation requiring use of that force

FLgun

Single-Sixer
"Primarily" helps some, but not 100%. Do you plan to EVER carry it concealed, or as a backup gun for hunting?
Not a hunter. Could be concealed and self defense choice. Just thought the need for moon clips could be another issue if you needed them in a rush and they could be bent or lost compared to just dropping in rounds from a speed loader.. or is that a VERY far out there scenario.. given fact most of us hopefully would ever be in a situation requiring use of that
So nothing meaningful. Moon clips are faster and cheaper than speed loaders. Watch a Jerry Miculek video or 2 and you'll never have anything less.
so moon clips arnt a pain and frustrating to use and load time and time again? Guess that's something I need to use in person to understand

Last edited:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Good point. Would there be a 3 inch 9mm revolver that doesn't use moon clips and doesn't have an interchangeable cylinder that exists?

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a Speed-Six in 9mm, a LCR in 9mm, SP-101 in .357 and enjoy them all.

Yes,, .9mm ammo is readily available, and often cheaper to buy just for the primary purpose of range work. And yes,, they make several good choices of self defense ammo for the .9mm as well.
And yes,, they use moon clips.
The easiest way to load ammo into a clip, and unload the brass from a clip is to have the tools. A mooning tool is usually purchased,, and a de-mooner can be bought or home made.
I own a total of 5 different revolvers that use moon clips,, and have never had any second thoughts or worries about using them. But many feel they are just another thing that can go wrong, get bent, or otherwise they just don't like them.

A .357 doesn't enjoy the ammo availability as much as the .9mm currently does,, but it's not too far behind. Yes,, ammo for it can cost more. But the .357 can use .38 shorts, .38 spl, and .357 Mag. Very versatile. And plenty of self defense ammo out there too. No moon clips are necessary,, and if a speed type of reloading is desired,, there are speed loaders available. BUT,, they add a lot more bulk when trying to carry them. No tools necessary to load or unload the speed loaders.

I think the .357 is a better all around choice especially if you are a handloader. The .9mm has more limitations than the .357 does in that respect. Lots of bullet choices, up or down, heavy or light, plinking or even hunting, (even though you don't plan on that.) You can shoot very light .38 spl for a lot of fun,, or if you want a bit more of a fire-breather a heavy .357 max load can give more than many need. The .9mm bullet designs are fewer due to the necessity of them needing to be fed into a semi-auto for most people. The bullet designs for .357 are vastly different.

But since you've mentioned that the primary use will be just plain range work,, again, I'd still select the .357. Due simply to the availability of very different ammo choices, and not needing any special tools for the moon clips.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Contender has given you an EXCELLENT response, saved me a lot of typing. ;)

3" would be perfect for you. I'd recommend 9mm just for the cheap ammo availability right now. There ARE 9mm loads that are at least as effective as 38+Ps and some kind of overlap with some .357 Mag loads. Cheap ammo is available and plentiful for practice/target/plinking.

Personally I like the "moon" clip concept. I own three clip guns but they're all .45s. The trick to using them is to buy a BUNCH of the clips, load them up at home while watching TV, take 'em all out and shoot 'em up, bring 'em home and UNload 'em again at your leisure, watching TV or something. Loading the clips is easy and can be done with your fingers. You don't NEED a special tool to unload; a couple of dowels or even something like BIC pens will work fine. I believe there are plastic clips available now for many guns that are even easier to load and unload.

There are a number of choices available in either 9mm or .357, fixed sight or adjustables, blued or stainless, and a range of price points. Look around and see what's available and what you NEED and what you WANT in your price range. Come back with a slate of candidates and we'll help you narrow it down even more. ;)

On this forum I did a large post about the benefits of the LCR9mm which I have owned for 8 years and a whole lot of ammo down range with it. One of the best purchases I have made in the World of guns and just a lovely fun gun to shoot.

PS I also do own the Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/357

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Primarily indoor Range shooting for fun
4 Inch stainless gp100. If just for the range and fun it's a blast. If your going to carry it occasionally, a 3 in sp101 is a great choice. I would get them both chambered in .357. You will never wear out the gp100, but you'll have lots of fun trying.

If you are using it for ccw, I believe that if I am carrying 1/2 the capacity of a 9mm polymer striker, I need the more potent round to eliminate the threat asap. My carry gun is the lcr 357. Full house 158 grain htp sjhp rounds. A 9mm in a 2 inch barrel, even plus p rounds will fall 150 lbs short of a 357 magnum (standard round). The 38 special will be about 1/2 the muzzle energy of the 357mag (even lower than the 9mm).

Latest posts