Security six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
I've been looking at a security six 6'' ser # 155-xxxxx and the hammer is blue as gun. I don't think they ever came that way so i thought i'd ask the experts. Gun is in good shape and he's asking 475.00 for it. Is that a good price. thanks

nn

Single-Sixer
Seems good price-----don't know about the hammer.

I think the service six I used in the Marines had a blue hammer.

Early Sixes had blued hammers. Apparently, as the hammers were later changed to all stainless, (154-xxxxx to 155-xxxxx) there are reports of other later guns that were shipped with blued hammers and triggers. An overlap of new and old parts. I've not seen them, but I've read where some stainless Sixes were received with blued hammers and triggers, which makes no sense.

Here's both low-back and high-back Sixes with blued hammers.

Not long ago I'd say $475 was at the high end of the spectrum. Not any more. If it's a decent gun you'll pay more next year.

What Wayno said it true about the blued hammers, the first ones were blued and then Ruger switched to stainless. Like anything though there is an over lap of parts and some blued hammers could have been at the bottom of the bin and when a Six was being made they could have been installed into a stainless gun. I have not seen that but in theory it could happen.

The triggers of the first Sixes were also blue (front and back but not the sides), like the hammer.

$475 is a good price for that gun depending on the condition and what part of the country the buyer is at.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I say good price. I recently found a 1980 blue 6" $400.00 Did not think twice Although it meant passing on a 1962 Single Six for same price

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
I got the gun, hammer and trigger is blue also. it's a very tight and clean gun bluing is very good. I'm happy with it I live in east Tn and the boys around here really like their rugers. We appreciate you folks so much! thanks for the info.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Mag-force said:
I got the gun, hammer and trigger is blue also. it's a very tight and clean gun bluing is very good. I'm happy with it I live in east Tn and the boys around here really like their rugers. We appreciate you folks so much! thanks for the info.

A Security-Six is a darn good gun. Can't go wrong with it.

Mag-force said:

Absolutely good for you! 8)

Mag-force, good on you for getting it, you got a gun that will last several life times if it is treated well.

There are a few members here that are from the eastern TN area, as you are. Since you're in that area, you aren't that far from where the Ruger East Coast Gathering is held (Lake Lure, NC) and we'd be glad to see you stop by. It's usually in late Sept, early Oct of each year (as long as Contender will have us :D ) it's a great get together with Ruger people from all over the east coast. Watch for the announcement later this year.

choirboy

Bearcat
Also from East Tennessee. Also keeping an eye out for a blue 6". Getting long in the tooth to be buying guns but everybody needs at least one 6" .357.

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
Ron, i've been wanting to go to the gathering for the last couple of yrs. I work for myself and seems like everytime that time of the yr i get busier. Hopefully this yr will be the time to meet all of you. Contender has invited me, he said i'm a stone throw away. But i will look forward to it. Thanks

Latest posts