Boots?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Sparks, NV
Only buy American? One reason to only buy American is the so called alleged higher quality of American products. The better quality allegedly comes from all the government rules. Something conservatives hate - too much government overseeing what, when and how we do things. However, there have been instances of poor quality of things from foreign countries no doubt. Cases in point, lead in toothpaste, poor quality rubber in tires, poor design and workmanship, etc. etc. etc. which causes recall and outright termination of many products made overseas...and yet there are some things that are better made overseas and costs are cheaper. Buy American is strictly a patriotic thing to do, showing support for your country. It is a mark of isolationists, people who want to dig a hole in the ground, hide in it and hope the rest of the peoples don't bother them and just go away. It doesn't work that way.
Milleniums ago, there were only small families, which grew to become tribes, villages, towns, cities, states countries and we seem to have stagnated at that point for now. Currently we have basically two groups, freedom loving people and those who cannot get rid of their dictatorial leaders.
Many do not believe in life on other worlds, but we are slowly discovering life, albeit small minutiae that exists within our own solar system. I wonder if in the future we will find life that is larger than our own insignificant lives on other planets. I will be long gone by then.
<Getting off soapbox now>

Contender,
Those of us that know, know of what you speak of. :)
As far as steel toe work boots. I bought a pair of steel toed Cowboy boots just about the dumbest thing I have ever done. Next was a pair of redwing steel toe Tenners very good. Went back to get another pair years later NOPE so bought a pair of steel toed work shoes. BP didn't like them because they didn't cover your ankle. I did so I wore them.
I now where nothing but Tenners since I have bunions on both feet due to those POS Boots. Son has had to have both feet operated on due to wearing flight boots and yes he bought Redwings.
Kevin, first time I have heard of Dog walking work boots. I guess I just didn't know, but now you are protected from falling dog turds.:)

Only buy American? One reason to only buy American is the so called alleged higher quality of American products. The better quality allegedly comes from all the government rules. Something conservatives hate - too much government overseeing what, when and how we do things. However, there have been instances of poor quality of things from foreign countries no doubt. Cases in point, lead in toothpaste, poor quality rubber in tires, poor design and workmanship, etc. etc. etc. which causes recall and outright termination of many products made overseas...and yet there are some things that are better made overseas and costs are cheaper. Buy American is strictly a patriotic thing to do, showing support for your country. It is a mark of isolationists, people who want to dig a hole in the ground, hide in it and hope the rest of the peoples don't bother them and just go away. It doesn't work that way.
Milleniums ago, there were only small families, which grew to become tribes, villages, towns, cities, states countries and we seem to have stagnated at that point for now. Currently we have basically two groups, freedom loving people and those who cannot get rid of their dictatorial leaders.
Many do not believe in life on other worlds, but we are slowly discovering life, albeit small minutiae that exists within our own solar system. I wonder if in the future we will find life that is larger than our own insignificant lives on other planets. I will be long gone by then.
<Getting off soapbox now>
That is one wild hypothesis for people buying made in America. I try to buy products made here, but not because of extraterrestrials. 😀

@Wyandot Jim … Dog walking is how I get my steps in! Only in the summertime is so blazing hot, sometimes we just take the dogs for car rides instead. Can't let their paws burn.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
When you buy boots with a cork or foam insole, just remember this. Although they are more comfortable, the boots will be a lot looser when they break in. No problem for lace up boots, but if you buy western slip on boots, you will be sorry, as I was, when your feet slop around in them, especially when traversing steep terrain..

Hertervillian

Saluki
When you buy boots with a cork or foam insole, just remember this. Although they are more comfortable, the boots will be a lot looser when they break in. No problem for lace up boots, but if you buy western slip on boots, you will be sorry, as I was, when your feet slop around in them, especially when traversing steep terrain..
Try wearing heavier socks to take up the room. That's my strategy with my knee boots. Need to be a half size but after 12 1/2 you get full size. I have extra support insoles and the heaviest merino wool socks REI sells. Those things went from shoe boxes to comfortable boots just like that. With the added benefit of those socks absorb much more sweat.

Hot pavement??? My first off farm job was working as a flagman for the highway dept. My boots gradually built up a 1/2" thick layer of tar and road dust. It was flexible enough to not crumble off and resisted any attempt to physically remove. Hot can't begin to describe the heat radiating from melted tar in mid-summer.
Other than rubber chore boots, I haven't bought a new pair of boots for a long time. Much easier on my mangled feet to buy light to moderately used mil-spec footwear that doesn't 'pass inspection' any more.

I used to buy Doc Marten work boots, wide toe box and the gum sole was super comfortable out of the box. They quit making the ones I liked so I bought Red Wings, very nice boots but break-in takes forever. I bought a pair 0f Ariat work boots mainly for working in the woods in winter, comfortable but they take some getting used to, rubbing on my calves and dragging my socks down around my toes... I'm used to tall lace-up boots from my army days, I still wear jungle/desert boots quite a bit. I bought a pair of Keen shoes and loved them, the second pair I bought kept failing at the glued joints, Shoe Goo helps. Flip flops around the house or slip-ons, About the only places I go barefoot is in the shower or bed.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
In the trades, we all wore heavy work boots. Many folks preferred moc-toed boots. And that's fine for them. For me, and for others that waded in water, mud, or other wetness the entire shift, every stitch in that style was just one more place to leak, And they did.

Redwing was my preferred boot.

Another disadvantage of moc-toed boots is that molten metal will be contained by the stitched rim. It happpens.

Bob Wright

mirglip

Single-Sixer
Boot and show manufacturers are trying to phase out leather, but nothing is better than good leather, IMO. Another thing they're trying to phase out is stitching, and they substitute glue for stitching. I have found that on Chinese leather boots, when you put boot oil or any kind of boot dressing or waterproofing on them, it dissolves the glue and they come apart.