Ruger Single Six OR Colt New Frontier Scout

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Buckeye
As you can see in the Open statement, I said "OR" and not "VS". Personally, I have quite a few Single Sixes and love them all. I do not own a Colt New Frontier Scout. I handled a couple at local shops, but that was about 25 years ago. They were used and kind of loose in the cylinder. But again they were used, and I never shot them, so I don't think it is fair for me to compare them at all. I would like to ask the members here who have handled both the Ruger and the Colt, maybe owned both, and shot both to say what they liked or maybe not so much liked about these 2 different gun offerings. I do not want this to be a type of "Hit Piece" type of thread. I am hopeful of an informational and maybe an educational type of thread for some members who might be thinking of looking for a "Scout", even though they haven't been made for a while, Or just wondered about them. Again it's been a while since they were in production, and Thank God, the Single Six still is. But for some older members who have lived a little bit, kindly share your thoughts of these fine 22 single action revolvers made in the USA. 🙂

wproct

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure how much value my post will be. I have owned a number of Ruger Single-six revolvers since 1966, both old and new models, and I am a big fan, don't ever want to be without one. Probably about 15 years ago I obtained a Colt New Frontier Scout. It was LNIB that I got on trade. I can't say enough good things about the one that I had as far as finish and fit. It's action was smooth as silk and locked up very tight. I never shot the Colt. I knew someone who really wanted it bad, and I knew that if I kept it it would become a safe Queen, and I don't like owning those. In my opinion, the Colts are absolutely beautiful, and we all know that the Single-six is indestructible and also very good looking.

Star43

Buckeye
Thanks for your input. Yes they can sure be pretty with the case hardening and such. During this past week I have watched a bunch of videos on the Colt. Ironically, a few of the "reviewers" knew less about the gun than I do. And I don't know much !! But in the words of Hickok45, he did a comparison and said good things about both but you knew the one he preferred. He had a '65 SS and '68 Colt. When he picked up the Ruger he kind of glowed and said: this gun is "solid" !! Another reviewer said the SS was more accurate every time with every load he tried.....but I would like to hear from our members, who have shot and handled both types. To hear thoughts from our members means more to me than a you tube.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I own several SS's and a couple Colt NF's and I can't say a bad word about any of them. Really if I were to compare the two I would say the Colt is more refined, better finish and just a beautiful handgun.

Star43

Buckeye
Hickock did mention that when comparing it is good to use guns from the same era. That is what he did.......Thinking of this, since far fewer Colts were made and it's been a while now since they stopped production, I wonder how the parts accessibility will be down the road. ?? Just a thought for future thinking. Maybe not an issue.

Last edited:

wproct

Single-Sixer
I'll give an example of what this thread makes me think of. You can compare this conversation to a comparison between a Colt .22 Match Target semi-auto pistol and a Ruger MKII 5.5 inch heavy barrel target pistol. The Colt wins hands down in fit, finish, and just being a classic good looking pistol, and very accurate too. But the Ruger, with a few refinements, is capable of even greater accuracy, in my opinion. But, who wouldn't be proud to own the Colt Match Target?

Cholo

Staff member
I'm not picking nits, but there's no such gun as a Colt New Frontier Scout. There's a Frontier Scout and there's a New Frontier .22.

All I've ever read was that the Ruger was more accurate than the Colt, but I've never proven that. I think I will next winter so I'll know.

Yes they can sure be pretty with the case hardening and such.
The Frontier Scouts were never case hardened. Could you be thinking of the Peacemaker .22? They started in late '70 and were case hardened.

Good luck with your search!

Star43

Buckeye
All I know is I can type in Colt New Frontier Scout and all these images pop up. They show the case hardening on the gun. I do know they started up and stopped, and started up and stopped. The name terminology changed too. But that is what they show on the internet about Colt 22's.. To me, in the case of the Ruger Single Six , it was developed and appeared in 1953 and never missed a beat, and is still in production. They went from the Old Model, to the New Model, but never skipped a beat, and with the vast amount of guns made, that speaks volumes to me. I have also heard the Ruger is more accurate. I've never shot a Colt. I was wondering if members found the same to be true from what I heard. For me I am very happy with what I got. To me, the fit and finish on a Single Six, be it Blued or Stainless, sure makes me smile. 👍

wproct

Single-Sixer
I need to apologize, in my old age I tend to be a little forgetful and careless about my descriptions. I think originally there was a Frontier Scout, made from around 1958-1971. Then later a new model was released around 1971 through 1976 that was called The Peacemaker. Once again, I may be wrong but I think the frame of the original Frontier Scout was aluminum and then the frame of the Peacemaker was case hardened steel. Also, the original was offered in a variation called the Frontier Scout 62, which had stag grips and a higher level of finish. The revolver that I once owned was the newer Peacemaker and it had a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I think the Peacemaker was available in several barrel lengths including my personal favorite the 4 5/8 inch bbl.

Just an addition, as I look at my Shooter's Bible 1965 edition, it lists the Frontier Scout in blue or duo-tone at a weight of 24 oz., and then a heavy frame nickel model weighing 30 oz. I guess you can draw your own conclusion from that what you think the frame metal would be.

I hope some of this info is helpful.

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Hunter
I've had both. The Scout is the better-looking gun but the Single Six is, like all Ruger single actions, much more durable (? Right word? Stouter?) Also, I found the Ruger more accurate.

I assume you mean the Super Single Six (?)

Star43

Buckeye
I've had both. The Scout is the better-looking gun but the Single Six is, like all Ruger single actions, much more durable (? Right word? Stouter?) Also, I found the Ruger more accurate.

I assume you mean the Super Single Six (?)
Yes, you are right about the "Super". You know, I think it is very true about the term: "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".....Myself, I think the Colt is good looking, but I don't care much for the duo tone look that one model had. To me it just looks like it wasn't finished. But then again, some guys like Ford's and some like Chevys. Whatever works for them....Just this morning I was looking at my 1982 Stainless Single Six. To me, i think it is beautiful and wouldn't trade it for anything. I also feel the same for my Blued Single Sixes. That is what I see in my own eyes. I can understand why some guys would prefer one model over the other as that is what "they see" in their eyes. That is what makes the world go round I guess. 👍

wproct

Single-Sixer
I will wind up saying that for me I would take the Super Single-six any day. It's still in production, so parts and service is available. It has the wonderful Bill Ruger design involving coil springs and the new model is extremely safe.

Star43

Buckeye
Who could argue with what you said there. Bill Ruger knew what he was doing with the design of the Single Six for sure. For example, look how easy it is to exchange the 22 LR cylinder to the 22 Mag cylinder. Push in the little button and the cylinder pin comes out easy peasy.....With the Colt, one has to unscrew the cylinder to replace it with another. That's more difficult to do. It's just an example but it's a good example. IMO.

Star43

Buckeye
Well I thought it was strange myself, but I saw it on a you tube review of the Colt. The guy made a point of it and showed it on his video. Again, I do not own a Colt. I was just going by his video.

Star43

Buckeye
Maybe it was a certain model different from yours ?? Again, I think it was a little weird too, but I did see it on the model of Colt he was reviewing. I will go back and look at it again. I can find it as there are not that many 22 Colt revolver videos out there from what I was seeing.

Killer Bee

Bearcat
nod goes to Colt for collector value, appearance, fit n finish, and authenticity

as for performance, can't say there's any monumental difference I've noticed. they both shoot above the average person's ability. aside from that, neither of them are competition target guns 😉

both 1971 models

Colt-New-Frontier-n-Ruger-Super-Single-Six.jpg

as mentioned above, the Colt is just a fine piece, probably why they command a market value approx. double that of the Ruger

besides, I'm a sucker for color case 😁

1971-Colt-New-Frontier-22.jpg