Ruger Single Six OR Colt New Frontier Scout

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Killer Bee

Bearcat
no screws in 1971 :unsure:

Colt-1971-Flyer.jpg

Cholo

Staff member
The original Colt Single Action Army revolvers had what's called a black powder frame from 1873 until the mid 1890's; 1896?. The cylinder base pin was held in place by a set screw. Loosen the screw and the base pin came out and the cylinder could be removed. It then went to the push button style that is still used by Colt and Ruger today.

Star43

Buckeye
That makes complete sense and not arguing that at all. I will have to go back and find that darn video and see it again. It was the 22 he was showing though as he mentioned in the video how the Ruger had a much better system to be able to change out to the 22 Mag cylinder.

I've owned and shot both. The Colt is finished nicer, but they both shoot just the same.

If I still owned a Colt .22, it would live forever in the safe, while the Ruger would come out often to play.

A true story involving my Colt .22 New Frontier Buntline revolver...
Nearly 50 years ago, I was hunting in the Coast Range. I happened upon a herd of quail. With my Colt New Frontier, I shot at one of the quail. They all flew (or ran) away 'ceptins for one, and it was motionless. I took a couple more shots, with no apparent affect. I approached it, it remained motionless, I reached down to grab its head, and the head came off in my fingers.

Last edited:

Star43

Buckeye
I would have to figure out how to do that. 🙂 I never posted a link before.....but believe me Cholo, when I find it I will post the name of the video here for others to see. I'm dumb, but I am definitely not stupid !! 🙂👍

Star43

Buckeye
Just for the heck of it, I looked again and am still looking for the original guy's video and when I find that I will let you know.....BUT I did find it again, and this Video is done by Hickok45. The video is called "Colt Frontier Scout" on You Tube done on March 11. 2021.....the video is 25:51 long but go right to about the 13:20 mark and he discusses it and shows how to do it. It goes to just over a minute showing the procedure. Please check this out and you will see a little of what I saw on another video too. By the way Hickok45 also did a Colt vs Ruger video using this same Colt gun built in 1968 compared to a Ruger SS built in 1965. Same era guns as he says. For Ruger guys, watch that video too. 🙂🙂👍

Last edited:

Cholo

Staff member
Well, I learned something new. The Scout has a "push button" for the base pin (not in front of the frame) that doesn't push. You have to unscrew it to get the base pin out. I never would have guessed LOL Earlier I did look at a later Hickok45 where he had the same Scout but never took the cylinder out.

Here is Star45's video:

Star43

Buckeye
On the above video, the cylinder procedure starts around 13:20 and goes to about 14:25. Hickok45 did a Colt 22 vs Ruger SS 22 using this same '68 Colt and.a 1965 Ruger SS in another video done at about the same time in Mar. 2021. Ruger guys should watch that video. I love it when Hickok45 holds the SS and he says "now this gun is solid". I really enjoyed that. 👍

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I've owned a number of both. Colt has the name, but I believe the Ruger will hold up better and and you still have factory support available. I like to look at my Colt, but I actually shoot the Ruger.

Star43

Buckeye
Who could disagree with that ? You like both and owned both. You appreciate the Colt name but shoot the Ruger knowing it will stand up and the service availability. Makes good sense. 👍

Star43

Buckeye
I can see why guys with older Colts don't want to use them too much as their are parts issues on models. I looked at their website and it says they cannot service any Legacy models over 10 years old, With the exception of Most 1911's, and 3rd generation Single Army models and some New Frontier models. They say if the gun is covered under their "service agreement" , once the gun is received it will go into a loop to await the service. If it is for a Paid Service gun, they need payment up front before any work is done on it. They take check. Visa, Master Card, and checks. Work is done to a gun only after the work is paid for. So they can service some of their popular older models, but as in anything else parts for older guns are an issue. They don't mention charges, so I imagine a guy has to ship them the gun and then they will determine the price for the work, and then the customer sends the money, and then the work will be done. I tried calling them, but they were closed. I will follow up with them tomorrow and find out their service rate charge if they will tell me, and post it here. I have some other questions for them too and it should be interesting to find out how they operate. I see they were bought out by CZ as on their website, although they say they are still operating as always as Colt Firearms........CZ as in the Chech Republic company, perhaps them or they are related to another Chech company that bought Federal Ammo just yesterday ?? CSG Kinetic Group.....Can you imagine that, The "Federal" Ammunition Company sold out ☹️☹️

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
ALL arguments and rightful rationale aside, IMHO, everyone should own a COLT just because it's a Colt.
While I'm pondering the question, I think everyone should own a Ruger too.

J.

C3Ranger

Bearcat
For those who may have an interest, Don Wilkerson's book "Colt Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber" is the most complete source of information on those models. Every factory variation is fully explained for the entire run. The book is out of print but can still be found on line.

jyo

Single-Sixer
I've owned both the Ruger Single-Six (Old Models only) and the Colt Peacemaker and the New Frontier 22LR/22Mag steel-framed revolvers and enjoyed both---I must say, the Peacemaker I currently own (Blue and colorcase 4 1/4") is a true beauty and shoots just fine! No parts have been needed... I have no other 22 revolver at this time...