Weather check today.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

about another 1/2" over night , and then I had to go to our Rock Island Il., terminal this morning , so instead of 2-laning it like we usually do , i went I 90/94 , down to I 39 to I 88 to I 80 to I 280 , that's about 35 miles longer but just about the same amount of time , big thing was no ice to speak of

Local reports of 10-15" of snow but only 4-5" of actual accumulation on bare dirt or grass due to warm soil temps melting snow from the bottom. Under the snow is MUD-not frozen ground. Makes snow removal problematic. I spent 2 hours on the skid loader scraping snow off driveway and parking areas so those will freeze rather than continue to be muddy slop.
I had some drifting up to 2-3' in the usual places plus some different drift patterns related to the loss of old buildings and construction of new.

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
Snowing now in Boise. First time in eleven years

What?!?!?

That's sort of good news - since I really dislike snow and in my 45 years in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington), we've had snow almost every year. We don't get a lot, but when we do it's also icy and the terrain is hilly. Things shut down.

I've thought of bailing out of this anti-gun state for Idaho and this would be another reason.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
What?!?!?

That's sort of good news - since I really dislike snow and in my 45 years in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington), we've had snow almost every year. We don't get a lot, but when we do it's also icy and the terrain is hilly. Things shut down.

I've thought of bailing out of this anti-gun state for Idaho and this would be another reason.
You would be welcome :D The free State of Idaho is a great place to live.

And plenty of good places to shoot.

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
In North Central Kansas at the intersection of I-70 and I-35 we received 6-8" of snow a couple days ago. Everything shut down going west to Colorado for most of the day. More snow on the way 1-3" and by Sunday it will be 7 below. More snow the first of the week and continued bitter cold with lots of wind.

Chief 101

Hunter
I haven't had snow like this for maybe 3-4 years. It's more normal than not and the kids like playing in it. I would like to sight in a rifle today, I just put new sights on it but not sure I can get into where I want to...so another day...oh yea, we got at my joint about 3 inches of wet snow night before none last night...

Last edited:

Ride1949

Hunter
The snow's sticking around this time. Very little melting here. Snow is being predicted for the next three days.(looks like they may have gotten right this time) Highs in the low twentys to single digits. Lows down to 0° on Sat. With a high of 8°. Winds up to 28 mph.

HW11

Single-Sixer
More rain on the way this evening here. I'm not through getting up all the sticks and limbs from the wind Tuesday night and Wednesday.

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
We missed most of the precipitation except for some freezing rain and blowing snow. Roads didn't get too bad, but the 45-mph gusty crosswinds made up for the lack of icy excitement on the way home tonight. And with the frigid temperatures . . . well, I have a three-day weekend coming up counting the holiday, plenty of food, and no reason whatsoever to stick my nose outside. Other than maybe running the car for about ten minutes once a day to keep it limbered up and the battery charged, anyway.

Another batch of snow is coming in Sunday night/Monday morning, which promises a bit more accumulation than we've had the past couple of go-rounds this week.

A co-worker has a couple of family members going to the Chiefs game in KC Saturday night, as they took advantage of some of the (relative) bargains to be had from season-ticket holders who don't want to catch pneumonia celebrating in what promises to be the most frigid playoff game ever.

She advised them "How many warm clothes do you have? Wear all of them."

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
-23 with a wind chill of -44 now.
Cold killed my 4 year old battery in my pickup.
$250 for 800 cold cranking amps and a 3 year warranty to replace it.
Dang it was cold changing it out.

Fingers were frozen and felt like they'd been smashed with a hammer.
Even with gloves!

My old dog 14+ went out to pee in the snow and his paws got so cold he couldn't make it back the porch.

Lots of snow here in northern IL, but the temps have not been bad, hovering around 32 degrees. But tomorrow the temps drop to low single digits, and by Tuesday we are expecting a high of about -1 degree. The snowstorm caused the schools to be closed and lots of businesses as well, and the same might happen from the really cold weather that is coming. I would guess that when it gets down around zero degrees a high percentage of cars and trucks will be unable to start.

Wish I could convince my wife to consider selling our home and moving south. But with 3 of my 5 grown kids nearby, and 9 or our 13 grandchildren here, plus my wife having a circle of close friends, I think we are not going anywhere despite the bone chilling weather. The few real friends that I have had are either moved away, or dead, so moving would not be a problem for me personally. I do find that the older I get the less tolerant of the cold I become.

Single digits and 10+ mph wind. Not much fun but going to be worse tomorrow. The old farm pickup refused to start this morning and usually after one of these failures requires dragging behind a tractor until it has no choice in the matter. The other pickups don't have proper tires for deep snow so I'm pretty much down to the Polaris. It lacks a lot in the 'drift busting' capabilities.

It is -12 here with high winds. Don't go outdoors unless you have to. Haven't seen a storm like this for years. Really glad I don't live out in the hinterlands. With near zero visibility, it would be easy to get trapped in this. Find you in the spring......

Latest posts