Help Support Ruger Forum:

cwweld

Bearcat
Was -8F near Gurnee at 0700, warmed up to -5 at 0830

Attachments

• 20240114_083040.jpg
    20240114_083040.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 18
-12 right now here in northwestern Illinois. Was only -11 an hour ago, so surprisingly it has gotten colder despite bright sunshine on the 8 inches of snow on the ground. Yesterday I checked that both of my cars that live outside the garage (the garage is reserved for my wife's new, and little Mini convertible and my two motorcycles) started right up, and after about 30 minutes of clearing snow and ice off them were both capable of being used. Today I have no plans to even step out of the house, at least until late today when I have to roll the trash and recycle bins out to the street for pickup tomorrow.

But I have to add, that despite this really cold weather, I still prefer to live here over south Texas where I lived before taking a job in the Midwest 34 years ago. Yes, winters were mild in San Antonio, but the summers were 8 months long of unlivable heat and humidity. Plus the bugs. People in the north do not understand what living with bugs really means as do the people who live in the south.

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
A balmy minus four outside my front door this morning. It might warm up to four above by this afternoon.

Guess I'll go outside at noon, start my car and clean it off just to keep it working.

Supposed to get some more snow tonight and tomorrow, but it isn't supposed to amount to much. The track is taking the bulk of it well south of where I am.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
A balmy minus four outside my front door this morning. It might warm up to four above by this afternoon.

Guess I'll go outside at noon, start my car and clean it off just to keep it working.

Supposed to get some more snow tonight and tomorrow, but it isn't supposed to amount to much. The track is taking the bulk of it well south of where I am.
14 degrees here. This is our favorite summertime coffee hangout. I'm a wimp. No outside coffee today.
20240114_080557.jpg

Joezilla

Bearcat
Waxahachie Texas is currently at 19 degrees with no snow, maybe a flurry or two. Wind chill is 6 degrees. I will not be venturing out today.

Joe

Gopher

Single-Sixer
Waxahachie Texas is currently at 19 degrees with no snow, maybe a flurry or two. Wind chill is 6 degrees. I will not be venturing out today.

Joe
Here in far, far, far, North Dallas it's 15 with slight flurries and the air is heavy and moist. Low this evening at 5 degrees. We are about 100 miles apart. As long as ERCOT keeps the grid together we'll be OK.

Lots of snow here in northern IL, but the temps have not been bad, hovering around 32 degrees. But tomorrow the temps drop to low single digits, and by Tuesday we are expecting a high of about -1 degree. The snowstorm caused the schools to be closed and lots of businesses as well, and the same might happen from the really cold weather that is coming. I would guess that when it gets down around zero degrees a high percentage of cars and trucks will be unable to start.

Wish I could convince my wife to consider selling our home and moving south. But with 3 of my 5 grown kids nearby, and 9 or our 13 grandchildren here, plus my wife having a circle of close friends, I think we are not going anywhere despite the bone chilling weather. The few real friends that I have had are either moved away, or dead, so moving would not be a problem for me personally. I do find that the older I get the less tolerant of the cold I become.
I grew up off of Lake St. Clair in MI. I grew up feeling your pain. My dad never lived more than 20 miles from the kitchen table he was born on in Detroit, except for two years in the Army during Korea. They moved out of the snow belt to Jasper GA in 1998, because my Dad and Mom were tired of the white s**t, and my sister and their only grandson had relocated. I left home in the AF in 1970 and found the desert southwest much to my liking. Minimal snow, usually melting very quickly with air and, now as a retired person in NM, easy road road connections to family and friends.

My grandson in law took my truck to go back to school this afternoon. I live in the middle of Louisiana. He has to go to Dallas about 5 1/2 hours away. He's been gone for four hours and still two hours short of Dallas, because the traffic is jammed up. It's snowing and ice flurries along the interstate. I'm sure he's enjoying the trip.
The heater in my truck doesn't work very well
😬

Hankus

Blackhawk
It dipped down into the 60's today here in south Florida. Brrr I cranked up my mini heater.
Yep, we Floridians have it rough. It got down to 49° here yesterday morning… What sucks is that it has rained here every day the past four days and I really want to take my new .454 Casull Rossi to the outdoor range !

-16 right now at 8:20 AM in Rockford, IL. Yesterday I never stepped outside my home, and today likely will be the same. Several years ago I slipped on the ice just outside my garage, and suffered a full tear of my rotator cuff. I know I don't want to risk that type of injury again. I'm wondering what my gas bill will be after these days of subzero weather where the furnace never stops running to keep my home at a comfortable 70 degrees. Maybe I'll need to tell my wife that she has to forego some of the expensive fabric she seems to buy constantly for her quilting projects so that we have enough money for the gas bill and essentials like ammo for the range and that new fancy motorcycle jacket I am thinking about.

M77-375LH

Bearcat
Saturday it was -42.4 C or -44.32 F
today it starting out at -34.2 C or -29.56 F
getting warmer a little everyday now according to weather forecaster's

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 20

Ride1949

Hunter
About 14" of snow and 3° here. Supposed to hit 12° for a high. Back down to 1° tonight. There calling for 41° on Wednesday. I sure hope it makes it. I'm getting real worried about my truck. I haven't been able tomake it into town for more anti-freeze yet. Hope I don"t end up with a cracked block.